Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
klauss
Poof no eyebrows

Default EAA windicator

Anyone know anything about them?, I know 5knives has mentioned it a few times.

Big difference between 357 and 38 special, never fired either round nad was wondering about recoil with the smaller frame. Thanks as always

Heîs oiōṇs áristos, amưnesthai peŕ pátrēs- "There is only one omen, to fight for one's country"
klauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Rew

I've seen them. Never fired one. Have a few Eaa's but not a windicator.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

AHA!

I heard my name mentioned!

EVERY review and report I have ever seen on the EAA Windicator has rated it a perfectly serviceable firearm and a 'Best Buy". I have never fired one but I've handled them and the weight and balance , as well as the size is on a par with a Detective Special or one of the Rossi 6 shot snubbies. So the weight is a tad higher and the recoil a tad less than the smallest frames like a S&W Chiefs Special.

I did own 4 EAA Bounty Hunters in .44 mag and 1 in .22, no problems and no complaints.

Shop I used to deal with said he sold a dozen or two a year, and had yet to see a problem the wasn't caused by the nut behind the trigger.

Mostly on a snubby 38/357 , any snubby, your going to shoot .38 for practice and load with .357 for carry. Practice and plinking is cheaper and just more fun with the milder recoil, but the .357 isn't really that bad.

If I was pressed for cash and needed a defensive handgun, couldn't find what I wanted used at the right price ... if I wanted a semi-auto I buy a Hi-Point, if I wanted a revolver I'd buy a Windicator or (maybe ... distant second because of past experience - sample of two) a Charter Arms. Very pleased with the Rossi SS 38/357's I have but prices have gone up in the last few years, and I believe they're out of the Windicator price range.

Watch you local ammo supply, less you've already got it. Seems to be improving here, saw a couple 250 round boxes of 9mm at WalMart last week, $60 IIRC. Haven't seen 38 or 357 there in a year or better. Local shops have the ammo but way too high priced for me at present.

Good Luck!

Regards,

5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Rew

Ahhh 5knives you can handle a 2" .357 so can I but you can imagine how much practice I've had. Now I do own a 2" Rossie .38, I have not seen it for awhile, the youngest thinks she inherited it early. But I also have a Dan Wesson 2.5" 4" and 6" barrels, three grips. Now that puppy I can empty and keep it all in the black with full power loads. The Rossie I used to be able to do that with, not as fast but not bad. I'll find out if she ever decides I will live a bit longer.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Rew, ummm, your right , many rounds through the snubbies. Some years when I couldn't use my beloved 1911's.

My REAL preference is a 3" bbl, very concealable, and a longer ejection rod clears the empties all the way, little extra sight radius doesn't hurt either. Sounds like I'm talking about my old M-19's ... I am.

But Smith quite making that bbl length and few other manufacturers ever did. Recently anyhow.

Replaced the Smiths with a pair of 3" Taurus m-66's and they are as smooth , reliable and have held up at least as well as any Colt or Smith I ever owned.

Note: I do not feed them a steady diet of hot 125 grain loads, which is what damaged my Smiths. Flame cutting of top strap, bad juju for nice guns.

Two handed, both of our Rossi snubbies well shoot 38's into a 5 1/2" group at 25 yards all day long from a rest. And IMHO, that's first rate performance for a 2" bbl or whatever they are. MaryAnns gun shoote to point of aim, ( yeah I know, she may be blind but she still loves to shoot) ... ummm ... Well ... she can't get a 5 1/2 " group at 25 yards of course, but she's hell on milk jugs at 10 feet!

Mine shoots about 2-3" left at 25 yds, still quite acceptable for social work!

As always, JMHO ... OMMV, and that's cool too!

Regards,

Last edited by 5knives; 01-03-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Typo gremlin meant 5 typed 3 , fixed it! also from a rest' stuck on 'standing' not true'
Old 01-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Thanatos
Grunt-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5knives View Post
Sounds like I'm talking about my old M-19's ... I am.
Had a 2.5" M-19 that I put alot of work into, and then alot of rounds through... even carved a set of grips down from a set of M-29 grips to perfectly fit my hand... this was back in the mid-late 1980s.

Loved that little pocket gun. Sights were dead on, and it would group under 3" all day long.

Had some bad experience with Taurus; every revolver I purchased from them shaved lead in a couple hundred rounds, as did every revolver that my friends purchased. I keep hearing that Taurus quality has improved, but... burn me many times? I never forget.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:

My REAL preference is a 3" bbl, very concealable, and a longer ejection rod clears the empties all the way, little extra sight radius doesn't hurt either. Sounds like I'm talking about my old M-19's ... I am.
I've got a little Smith & Wesson with a 3" barrel, a model 36. It's not a Magnum though. However with some +P ammo, it could be a sufficient belly gun. Poke em in the belly, and pull the trigger.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Pogo,

Your classic M-36 will handle the 38SPCL FBI load (also known as the "Chicago Load", 158 gr. LSWCHP +P at around 850 ) out of a snubby forever, and it's no slouch, helluva record on people. Don't need to 'poke em with it. Truth is that's what my 357's are normally loaded with (or equivalent in a 357 case).

Wouldn't be my first choice on a bear, but neither would a 357.

I own 357's for the interchangeability (Not very helpful today, can't find either). 38 spcl has been getting 'er done for a very long time now. See http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/3...r%20LSWCHP.htm for more detail info. ( if you get a hosed up page with that link, just go to the Browser command line and press enter.)

JMHO, OMMV, but I've got history on my side!

Regards,

Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
rogertc1

Of course I have one. I was having withdrawal one day and I had to get a gun fix. It was only $250 NIB so I got it. Never have shoot it however.
rogertc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
Gus

Quote:
TAURUS MODEL 605 .357 MAG. REVOLVER IN STAINLESS STEEL
My BIL has one he's carried concealed for a couple years, I've shot it smooth and accurate either single or double action at 15 yards, quarter sized group.

Approximately $350.00

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=CC2
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #11
AKWARRIOR
Gone

Ive almost bought a EAA Windicator a few times over the years.I remember these being marketed I believe from the late 80's to mid 90's.Not sure if they are made anymore but reviews seemed to state from memory that they were decent and they were economical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
My BIL has one he's carried concealed for a couple years, I've shot it smooth and accurate either single or double action at 15 yards, quarter sized group.

Approximately $350.00

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=CC2
I've since put a Hogue grip on it that improves handling with a little more length then the stock boot grip.Good little revolvers.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined"-Patrick Henry
AKWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
SIXPACK
RIP America 1776-2012

Quote:
I love my 1911's but my favored carry is a 3" .357, but in the flavor of the Ruger SP101. I added Hogue grips, Wolf 10 pound hammer spring, Wolf 7 pound trigger return spring, and a bunch of polishing on the moving parts.....Smooth as glass now!

Peaceful, but prepared.

........ "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be
disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The
supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the
sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and
constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can
be, on any pretense, raised in the United States."

...........................Noah Webster, 1787
SIXPACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Although my favorite handgun caliber is .45 Long Colt, my favorite carry is also a .357 Magnum. It is a Model 65 S&W with a 4" barrel. It is a nice carry piece.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:57 AM   #14
MontanaWolf

I got an Eaa WITNESS in the 40 & I love it. Their customer service was very helpful to me too.
MontanaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote