Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 05-02-2022, 10:55 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Default Ak restoration - gun restoration - soviet gun

This gun restoration video, I restore an ak M. I bought this gun in an arsenal in the czech republic, I already intended to restore the gun, the restoration process was not easy, because akm has pins inserted at 12 tons, this means that a large hydraulic press is needed for the restoration of this gun. However, I managed to complete the restoration and make this Soviet beauty work perfectly.
This gun is built in Izhmash in 1971, normally he required maintenece, but this need really a restoration because he stay a lot of time in humid place. and was used for take every pieces. but at the end the restoration was end with a great result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EbqAkrhj9U
Old 05-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #2
RetVet
Statistical Error

I don't know. I'd have to call BS on some of that. The original AKM had a lot of pitting and I didn't see that pitting towards the final stages before painting.

I also know you don't need a 12 ton press to build one of these. I have a pretty substantial press and it's overkill for what's needed to rivet the rear trunnion. The front trunnion rivets are done using a modified set of bolt cutters by most of us. Other then the two rear trunnion rivets, I use the press to push the barrel out and back in and to push the barrel pin in. Neither of the latter require much pressure in my experience.

He ruined a salvageable lower handguard too. I would have fixed that.

Okay, and how about the compliance parts, unless he's doing this somewhere other than what was ONCE called a free country, aka America. Looked like he was cleaning up the original fire control parts. Did he reuse them or swap those out? I didn't see it. Otherwise I see "maybe" US made hanguards, grip, and maybe the folding stock though that's questionable. That's 3 parts, he needs 3 more in Amerikka.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #3
Brandenburger
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
I don't know. I'd have to call BS on some of that. The original AKM had a lot of pitting and I didn't see that pitting towards the final stages before painting.

I also know you don't need a 12 ton press to build one of these. I have a pretty substantial press and it's overkill for what's needed to rivet the rear trunnion. The front trunnion rivets are done using a modified set of bolt cutters by most of us. Other then the two rear trunnion rivets, I use the press to push the barrel out and back in and to push the barrel pin in. Neither of the latter require much pressure in my experience.

He ruined a salvageable lower handguard too. I would have fixed that.

Okay, and how about the compliance parts, unless he's doing this somewhere other than what was ONCE called a free country, aka America. Looked like he was cleaning up the original fire control parts. Did he reuse them or swap those out? I didn't see it. Otherwise I see "maybe" US made hanguards, grip, and maybe the folding stock though that's questionable. That's 3 parts, he needs 3 more in Amerikka.

Sorry...did we watch the same video? Pitting is very obvious.
Brandenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Yup when he crunched those front handguards I said 'WHOOPS' uh oh..
He was in Europe I do believe RetVet. He mentioned picked it up at some foreign city?? Russian AK not demilled he didn't get it here.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
RetVet
Statistical Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Yup when he crunched those front handguards I said 'WHOOPS' uh oh..
He was in Europe I do believe RetVet. He mentioned picked it up at some foreign city?? Russian AK not demilled he didn't get it here.
Yeah, definately not here. It had that evil third pin installed for the fun parts.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:19 PM   #6
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

i know nothing of these ghost guns. on another note, rivets are a breeze.
flopshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:08 AM   #7
FloridaAKM
Military Truck Collector

Come on guys, he didn't demil the rifle, he just removed & coverted the rust/corrosion to a stable form & cleaned up the rifle. He cerakoted what he wanted & was done with it. That is not building, that is restoring. He didn't replace with wood, just plastic & no heat shields.

That rifle in that condition with the 3rd pin & with it deleted, here is the ole US of A will get you 10 in the big house, so it was in another country. He pressed no rivets, didn't remove the barrel & kept the old receiver. Easy peasy.

Do I have experience doing this work, yes, but I am not going to advertise to what extent due to the current administration & their views.
FloridaAKM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #8
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
Come on guys, he didn't demil the rifle, he just removed & coverted the rust/corrosion to a stable form & cleaned up the rifle. He cerakoted what he wanted & was done with it. That is not building, that is restoring. He didn't replace with wood, just plastic & no heat shields.

That rifle in that condition with the 3rd pin & with it deleted, here is the ole US of A will get you 10 in the big house, so it was in another country. He pressed no rivets, didn't remove the barrel & kept the old receiver. Easy peasy.

Do I have experience doing this work, yes, but I am not going to advertise to what extent due to the current administration & their views.
Somewhere in the czech republic, he obtained the weapon. Now I just read where the Soviets and I think?? the Chinese have their military using the 5.45x39. They wanted I guess? the longer range and lighter ammo.
The Soviets are well known for when their done with something 'military equipment' they just leave it. Imagine how many old AKs are sitting in warehouses ready to be picked up?
Oh article said their boys kept their old AKs as they do up close work and they wanted a hard hitter.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote