Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Hunting
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
jack

Default walking in the woods do you carry any gun??

Last year I went into the woods here and I was looking for some coyote tracks but took no gun! I found the tracks I was looking for and something I was not! even though I was about 75 to 100 yards away I saw a black bear! is a open field standing muching on the low trees leaves I just glad it didnt SMELL ME.So now on I take a gun in the woods now you never know what you see or run into.
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
4thIDvet
slug

Default Yes jack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Last year I went into the woods here and I was looking for some coyote tracks but took no gun! I found the tracks I was looking for and something I was not! even though I was about 75 to 100 yards away I saw a black bear! is a open field standing muching on the low trees leaves I just glad it didnt SMELL ME.So now on I take a gun in the woods now you never know what you see or run into.
I live in a National Forest. So yes too answer your question, I always have a pistol or weapon with me.
We have more black bears here than people. They have totally lost their fear of humans, due too their being protective species.
When they are in my garbage and I bounce a rock off their noodle, they just laugh at me and keep eating.
Just dont get between the cub and mother.
Snakes are our biggest worry here. Too many too count.
Yes keep a pistol with you. Better too have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

If I'm wearing pants (and sometimes if I'm not) there's a usable knife "on me" and at least a 1911. That include walking 20 yards to check the mail box.

Been my habit for many, many years, with or without 'official approval" just like others here!

Americans have a long and glorious history of disregarding stupid or silly rules and regulations.

Started about 1772 and grew from there, IIRC!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
baboon
slug

Hell out in the country it's more recreational. In the city you carry because their is more of a threat.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Hell out in the country it's more recreational. In the city you carry because their is more of a threat.
Well Said!

Regards,
Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Gus

Out here folks get killed in the desert or mountains on occasion by local phycos or wetbacks, of course the cities are like any city of size and more dangerous then wilderness.

I have considerably more concern with two legged predators then the four legged types.

Never venture out unarmed.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
buzgun
slug

gun

It's in my back pack at all times..
Old 07-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Out here folks get killed in the desert or mountains on occasion by local phycos or wetbacks, of course the cities are like any city of size and more dangerous then wilderness.

I have considerably more concern with two legged predators then the four legged types.

Never venture out unarmed.
Also very well put, I have a continuious problem with my wife and daughter taking off to look for rocks or plants . They insist that as long as they're "on public trails, roads and camp areas" they're "okay".

I'm gradually making progress, but it's worriesome. Two small women with a 4 year old and a baby?

Last summer they came back laughing about how cute a couple of bear cubs playing in the dirt were (40 yards away). I asked them where the mother was and they didn't know/didn't see her!

I believe I've corrected that particular training omission. this summer I should be okay to go with them, couldn't do that last year.

But Gus's comment is VERY valid!

Regards,
Old 07-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Rew

If I walk out the front or even the back door I have a gun. If I get up from this desk to answer the door, I have a gun. Walking it the woods the gun is usually of a larger caliber and more powerful, but it's always there.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I ain't afraid of shit.
I don't carry a gun in the woods.
We don't have "woods" where I live.

But I sure as hell carry a piece in the desert and everywhere else.

Irritated me today that I had to put Miss Charter under the seat, at the courthouse.
Didn't even carry my pocket knife with me either, felt nekked!
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
xWalt

I never go out the door without a gun in my pocket even just around the house. The chances that I might need to use are slim but it would just piss me off to no end to to need it and not have it after so many years of carrying.

If the bear had smelled you Jack it would have just hightailed it away. No offense meant about HOW you smell, it is just what a black bear would do. Usually not very dangerous unless with young or if they think that you are trying to take away their food.
xWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #12
klauss
Poof no eyebrows

When I went out with my dad as a kid he always had something, every couple of years he would end up killing a rabid stray dog. Never went out without something

Heîs oiōṇs áristos, amưnesthai peŕ pátrēs- "There is only one omen, to fight for one's country"
klauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #13
Bluntforce
slug

I do, but after the lackluster results of shooting a skunk with a .40 and it not having the expected results after all the talking up of the round in the gun publications, I would rather have a shotgun with a buckshot/slug load for even small irritants.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
RetVet
Statistical Error

I would be more concerned walking in a city than in the woods. Nothing in the woods I can't deal with.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #15
hangfire
Home on the range

When you're out in the country, you become part of the food chain.