Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 12-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

Default P38 values ?

Bought a ac 42 P38 and it is ROUGH!!!!

Price seemed awesome, but with condition hard to figure out what it should really be worth.

Everything was rusted and pitted BAD at one point. The guy I bought it fro brought it back from germany in the 50s after finding it in a bunker.

Functional, grips are wrong (late or post war....black plastic with a chip out of one of them), and a couple small parts dont seem to be correct (trigger bar is blued still and the hammer doesnt seem to have the waffenamp).

Otherwise, waffenamps on frame, barrel, lug, slide release, takedown lever, safety, mag catch, trigger and most parts.

P38 mag from the 60s and repro holster.

So what is it worth approximately? I mostly wanted the holster and mag, but it seems like it could be worth enough to get rid of unless I just make it a shooter....and I paid about the same as a P1 for it

Pics suck, but it real life you can make out some of the P all of the 38.....a hint at the ac42, and most proofs and serial numbers can be read. (the hammer spring guide? is hard to see the proof, otherwise all are in tact except the proof next to the ac42). And this just shows you how bad the gun is....finish...HAHAHA.....pitting...somewhere in the 80-90% range.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
baboon
slug

IIRC I seen them listed in The Shotgun News for $349.00 recently.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

Yep, that one is damn rough. I'd pass if I were a buyer.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Airforce1
The Red Bearded Kraut

That would be considered "poor" shape. I wouldn't give more than 175 for it. It's a shame, ac42's are one of the harder ones to get but in that shape, it's just a shooter/hanger.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."

III%
Airforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
AKWARRIOR
Gone

That really is a shame,

Values in the blue book change every year.I have a current edition and I also have a history on Walthers.Values on the AC42 are as follows....

1st variation (eagle over a 359 stamped on all small parts.)Production was 21,000.
Excellent-$1300
VG-$550
Good-$400
Fair-$350
Poor-$275

2nd variation ac42 is a little less.2nd variation does not have an eagle over the 359 stamped on the small parts.2nd variation had a production of 100,000.

2nd variation values,

Excellent-$1100
VG-$500
Good-$400
Fair-$300
Poor-$250
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined"-Patrick Henry
AKWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Dissassemble, clean, polish then have it blued.
Could wind up with a valuable piece!
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

the pics dont do justice to how rough. if you tried to polish and refinish, there would be no markings left.

its a 1st variation.

and I paid $250 cause it is cool. the ones for sale now are all mixed parts, re-arsenal, russian capture, and refinished.
nutinauniversalshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
GARANDNUT
Pontificator Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutinauniversalshell View Post
the pics dont do justice to how rough. if you tried to polish and refinish, there would be no markings left.

its a 1st variation.

and I paid $250 cause it is cool. the ones for sale now are all mixed parts, re-arsenal, russian capture, and refinished.
Depending on how deep the pits are most can be removed. Document the type and location of the markings and they too can be restored, I can give you the name of a master engraver. As for the plastic grips they look correct to me for a p38. I don't think they had anything but plastic grips.

If you don't want to screw with it get it in operational shape, park it and it would make a great shop gun.
GARANDNUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

It looks like someone has been using it to build fence with. I don't think it will EVER have more than .20 cents worth of collector value.

IF it functions and shoots ok, you could have it cleaned up by good gunsmith and polishing and then reblued and keep it just as a shooter.

Outside of that, I'd build my own fence with it. I hate to see a gun treated like shit and the P-38s were actually pretty good pistols.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

UPDATE: It was found in a bunnker in 59. That's a long time of sitting in who knows what/what kinda of storage.

It is shootable. Not at all pretty, but a shooter.

I had a couple people who were thinking about it at $400 ($500 price tag on it at the show)....might list in on some forums after the weekend (need to move some stuff and have LOTS to sell). Holster not even mentioned or included

Who knows.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #11
AKWARRIOR
Gone

As stated above my book lists it at $275 in poor condition but as always you could get any price out of it from someone who doesn't know the value.
AKWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

Yeah, I kept waiting for someone to ask for a deal. I would have let it go for $300 quickly and considered anything over what I payed.

I made a couple bucks at the show though, so I dont really need some cash now. Still wouldnt mind getting a little more though