Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 04-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Smile Casting Bullets, what's involved?

Most of my casting has been for Black Powder, pretty cheap and simple. Pure lead, a mold, a lead pot or Lee pot and a ladle is about it.

How about some of you folks with real bullet casting experience sharing some tips and tricks?

What equipment, where to get material, what's the process?

Thanks in Advance.

Be Safe.
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I go to a local tire store and they give me all I want for free. I usually get about two 5 gallon mud buckets full at a time. Now, that's a lot of lead. I melt it down into ingots on a camping stove, and at that time separate out almost all of the crap. Then I have a Lyman casting furnace I use for casting my bullets. I have many different bullet molds, most of them are Lyman. I don't care for Lee aluminum molds myself.

I have a Star sizer/lubricator that I have had for many years. It's considered the Cadillac of sizers. I got it in a good swap from a police department training officer. It was broke, and I swapped him some Mauser parts worth about $30 at the time. It cost me about $20 for new parts to fix it up.

I shoot a lot of cast bullets. All of my Cowboy Action Shooting is done with cast bullets. And that helps me save money while I'm competing. The 45/70 and .45 Long Colt bullets aren't cheap if you have to buy them.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
AKWARRIOR
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
I go to a local tire store and they give me all I want for free. I usually get about two 5 gallon mud buckets full at a time. Now, that's a lot of lead. I melt it down into ingots on a camping stove, and at that time separate out almost all of the crap.

How is that done?

Do you just spoon off all the crud that comes to the surface or burn it off?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined"-Patrick Henry
AKWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKWARRIOR
How is that done?

Do you just spoon off all the crud that comes to the surface or burn it off?
I have a big spoon on the end of a piece of wood, and like you said I just skim it off.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Rew

Pogo is right (except for the Lee mold part ) but when you are skimming the top of the metal be careful that you don't remove any antimony or tin. Both are helpful in the casting process. Stir the metal often, you want the alloy componants to mix well. Welders gloves and goggles are a right good idea.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Rew

HEHE there is a broken heart in the middle of gl oves.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

One thing I didn't mention is fluxing the metal. I like Marvelux bullet casting flux that I get from Brownells. Some people use various other fluxes, but a lb of Marvelux will do a bunch of bullets. It really does a good job.

Of course others are satisfied with whatever they use.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew
HEHE there is a broken heart in the middle of gl oves.
Yeah, I use welders gl oves too.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
Gus

I don’t cast bullets but my uncle that taught me to hand load does. He always mixes tin with the lead to make a harder bullet. I’m not sure what the ratio of the lead tin mix is; he learned his recipe trial and error. I do know harder casting are less likely to foul the rifling and are more accurate in my uncles opinion.

He uses wheel weights same as pogo
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #10
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Wheel weights are a pretty good alloy as is. And you are right Gus, pure lead is too soft for any kind of bullets other than for muzzleloaders.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #11
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Pogo,

Are all wheel weights the same or are there certain types or brands to look for?

Or some to avoid?

Thanks,
Old 04-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #12
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

pretty much the same if ya Burnell test them they come out about 11
but if ya drop them in cold water right from the mold they get to be about 15-17 this makes them harder and when ya use them in a rifle they don't lead the barrel as much . A couple of jacketed rounds will remove most of it and then ya can clean as usual !!!
Sorry to jump in late ,Brunell[sp] is kinda like Rockwell only for softer metals !!!
THAT IS BLOOD

Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #13
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Thank You Cephus,

I'm familiar with the Brinnell Tests, I didn't know you could get an alloy that hard that easily. sounds good.

Once upon a time, I used the tools at the local P.D for most of my reloading and they got all the old linotype metal they wanted form a large printing company. I don't recall they mixed anything in it, but it made very good bullets for .38 and .357.

Thanks for the information,

Be Safe,
Old 04-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
wc846

I used to make all my handgun bullets until the guy down the road started a bullet making business. not worth the trouble anymore for me..I kind of like it when the nurse at work don't bother me anymore telling me about the elevated lead levels in my blood.. make sure you have really good ventilation when ya make them..
wc846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:45 AM   #15
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

When you are working the lead make sure you are in a well ventilated area, the fumes can give you lead poisioning a lot quicker than handling it ever will.

I cast thousands upon thousands upon thousands of 45 200gn SWC BB when I was into it.

My doctor was doing some blood work on me & so I asked if he would also check for lead.

I came back 14 times higher than the acceptable max for industry according to the WHO. So he told me.

Id always been careful with fumes & worked outside with an exhaust fan to redirect the fumes but still my count was very high.

I used a RCBS pro melt, a RCBS lube sizer. SAECO molds & home made allox & bees wax lube.

That gear paid for itself over & over many times. I also had the benefit of a constant supply uniform projectiles.

Saeco also had a hardness tester for the lead but I never worried too much about that so long as I was using the wheel weights.
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote