Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Sights, Scopes, Optics, Binoculars, and Flashlights
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Question Spotting scope Ideas help, please. ?

O.K. I need a spotting scope mainly for our 100 too 200 yard max shooting range.
For sure my days of hunting Big Horn Sheep in the Rockies are long gone. What do yall use for spotting scopes? I have been checking on Amazon and their from under a $100 to thousands.
Thank yall in advance.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Sanders

I got a Simmons from the Cabela's store in St. Louis for $35.

Seems someone screwed up and put the sale sticker on the wrong display, but they honored it. It should have been around $120.

Anyway, that scope has suited me fine. I've used it on a 200 yard range and can see the paper just fine. It has never fogged up or anything on me, but I don't exactly live in a humid climate, either.

You can pretty much spend a small fortune on one, or get 2 for cheap and still have money left over for more ammo.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
JD Miller
Fake Member

For lower priced scopes the Konus 20x60x 80 was a good scope for seeing clearly 22 cal holes at 200-300 yards, about $230

Old saying: You get what you pay for
Old 08-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
baboon
slug

I bought a Swarovski AT-80 many years ago. It's damn fine glass & I still have problems picking up stray .223/5.56 on paper @ 100 yards.

Look @ used & demo spotting scopes from the sample list.
http://www.samplelist.com
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
4thIDvet
slug

Might get this one? Same price as Amazon but this comes with a tripod which I could probably replace later for a real solid one?
Should be all I need for a few hundred yards?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/celestro...80-spotti.html
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
Railbuggy

Do they come with a camera hookup?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbuggy View Post
Do they come with a camera hookup?
Yes Rails. 6th pict. on the right at the link.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I have a Leupold SX-1. It's 15 - 45 power with a 60mm objective lens. I bought it from Optics Planet. It was a little ove $250 and has multicoated lens and a lifetime warranty. It's an excellent range spotting scope.

The magnification isn't as important as the brightness and clarity of the lens. The one you mentioned 4th should be fine.

But those cheap Chinese spotting scopes are foggy and have and the image you see will be dull. They are a waste of money (in my opinion).

Leupold SX-1 Spotting Scope by John Danley, on Flickr
Old 08-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

That one looks nice.. Yeah think I will just buy the one shown I posted? Optics Planet seems to have a bit more for for the same $$ than Amazon?
My research says the muti-coated lens is important? I have an old Bushnell antique 1970s 32x I am going blind looking through.
Most likely get a good sturdy bipod next month when I save my milk money.
Thanks guys.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
That one looks nice.. Yeah think I will just buy the one shown I posted? Optics Planet seems to have a bit more for for the same $$ than Amazon?
My research says the muti-coated lens is important? I have an old Bushnell antique 1970s 32x I am going blind looking through.
Most likely get a good sturdy bipod next month when I save my milk money.
Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
Multi coating is very important. It keeps down flare and reflection. Be careful when cleaning a multicoated lens. Use a lens cleaning solution with a microfiber cloth that you keep in a baggie. You don't want dirt or grit to scratch the coating.

Sturdy tripod is very useful. Small dinky tripods are crap. A small breeze will make the scope vibrate and it's difficult to see through.

I have several very sturdy tripods that I use for photography.

This is a decent economy tripod. Check it out. Includes free shipping. http://www.adorama.com/SL340DXB.html

This is my best tripod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._series_3.html

And I have this ball on top: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1_dp_with.html
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
4thIDvet
slug

Nice looking tripod. Are the screw attachments universal or do you have to order by brand?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Nice looking tripod. Are the screw attachments universal or do you have to order by brand?
It's a standard 1/4x20. Looks like they also include a 3/8" but you won't need it for a spotting scope.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
4thIDvet
slug

Good man Pogo thank yall for your help. My God that ball attachment like $500 smackers? Whoa nice but I would have to save 6 months milk money.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Good man Pogo thank yall for your help. My God that ball attachment like $500 smackers? Whoa nice but I would have to save 6 months milk money.
It will hold up to a 130 lbs. And it is rock solid, no drooping with a heavy load.

Nikon Macro Light front view by John Danley, on Flickr
Old 08-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #15
4thIDvet
slug

Super nice Pogo. By chance I have the hunting channel on and be damned they had one like your showing on their spotting scope.
Super nice but way more than I could ever need. Someday I might be back out west to long range shoot. But hell long range here, like I been sayin is 30 feet.
Swampers here bring their long range guns too the Ocala range to shoot 100 yards and brag their a sniper.