Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:07 AM   #16
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Miller View Post
So looks like unsalted is for cooking and regular salted is the one with good flavor for buttering toast and roles and eating
Like Diesel said if you want just buy Gee. Or do like commercial kitchens do to cook with butter so it wont burn and make clarified butter. Real easy.
Melt unsalted butter slowly on your stove. Now skim off with a spoon the milk solids that float to the top. Now slowly pour the middle layer "butter fats oil" off save and discard the bottom milk fat layer again.
Butter fats oil "clarified" will cook at a higher temp. and give a good butter flavor. Its the cream and salts that burns and turns dark.
I leave my salted butter at room temp on the counter for a week with no problems at all. Unsalted maybe 3 days or so?
Old 03-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #17
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

We buy the salted, sweetened stick butter made by Land O Lakes. When it's on sale, we buy more and freeze the majority.

We did buy a package of 'roll butter' made by the Amish (looks like a 1 lb. tube/roll of hamburger wrapped in butcher paper). That tasted pretty good on my English Muffins and the wife used the remainder for baking. Costs a few cents more than Land O Lakes stick butter.

WE don't use margarine/vegetable spread.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #18
baboon
slug

Fuck all that gee & clarified butter! Brown butter rocks! I love me some brown butter basted eggs. All kinds of eating made tastier with brown butter. AND DON'T BURN IT & CALL IT BROWN BUTTER!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:07 AM   #19
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Fuck all that gee & clarified butter! Brown butter rocks! I love me some brown butter basted eggs. All kinds of eating made tastier with brown butter. AND DON'T BURN IT & CALL IT BROWN BUTTER!
Over fresh steamed asparagus with a pinch of seasoned bread crumbs.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:05 AM   #20
JD Miller
slug

I made some Brown Butter, after I goggled it

I tried it out on a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel.... I guess its supposed to taste better

JD Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:03 AM   #21
baboon
slug

Quote:
I made some Brown Butter, after I goggled it

I tried it out on a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel.... I guess its supposed to taste better

I think it's better for savory flavors, then sweet. I guess if you like your sugar & cinnamon caramelized you might like it.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #22
JD Miller
slug

What's it do when you heat it??

It burns the fats in the butter , but the burned fat particles stay in there and makes it a brown color ?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #23
baboon
slug

Quote:
What's it do when you heat it??

It burns the fats in the butter , but the burned fat particles stay in there and makes it a brown color ?
I guess it has more to do with how you make your cinnamon toast. If you do it the way we did it as kids by making toast then buttering it, adding the sugar & cinnamon on top you might like it. If your cooking your butter sugar & cinnamon in a toaster oven it could get to burnt.

If you burn the fats you fucked it up! You are basically just browning the solids to make brown butter.

Caramelizing sugar can be burnt also. Burnt sugar is nasty shit in both smell & taste.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #24
JD Miller
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
If you burn the fats you fucked it up! You are basically just browning the solids to make brown butter.

Caramelizing sugar can be burnt also. Burnt sugar is nasty shit in both smell & taste.
I guess the video I watched they fucked it up and did it wrong then , because the heated the butter until there was blackened sediment in the bottom of the pan

So you are saying , you want to heat it in the pan on the stove burner , but remove it before you get sediment in the bottom of the pan ?

.Those bagels already have the raisin and cinnamon in them when you buy them and are already sliced in half. You just put them in the toaster like a slice of bread , then butter them when they pop out hot

Old 03-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #25
baboon
slug

Quote:
I guess the video I watched they fucked it up and did it wrong then , because the heated the butter until there was blackened sediment in the bottom of the pan

So you are saying , you want to heat it in the pan on the stove burner , but remove it before you get sediment in the bottom of the pan ?

.Those bagels already have the raisin and cinnamon in them when you buy them and are already sliced in half. You just put them in the toaster like a slice of bread , then butter them when they pop out hot

I have always done mine in a skillet set on a low setting. It takes some time for it to brown. The browned milk solids are what makes it! Blacken IMHO is burnt!

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-brown-butter-238326

I'm lucky in the fact I can get killer fresh bagels near by. I tend to buy a dozen & freeze my own. Only to prevent them from molding, as I will eat one every morning until gone. Local grocery store bakery bagels just aint right! I have not had a frozen Lenders bagel in 30+ years.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #26
JD Miller
slug

I'll have to try it again. That vid I watch did it wrong. They showed the butter foaming in the skillet and a little black sediment in the bottom that they then mixed up

Maybe they heated it too long
Old 03-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #27
baboon
slug

Quote:
I'll have to try it again. That vid I watch did it wrong. They showed the butter foaming in the skillet and a little black sediment in the bottom that they then mixed up

Maybe they heated it too long
I do mine low & slow. Its like making a good roux you have to watch it it & stir it or once it hits a certain temp burning it will happen.

If you really aint much in the kitchen you might want to forget about the brown butter.