Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 06-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
Sanders

Default PERSONAL DEFENSE 22LR AMMO - FEDERAL PUNCH

So, this video came out in April and I just found this ammo in stock on Federal's website, yesterday. As of this posting, it is still showing in stock. Whether you believe a .22 can be a self-defense weapon or not, this stuff seems pretty impressive. My wife and my mom cannot shoot a larger caliber pistol comfortably - which means they will not practice with it. However; they can shoot a .22, which beats the hell out of a sharp stick. I will be trying this stuff out in my wife's Beretta Bobcat 21A, which only has about a 2" barrel. It is pretty finicky on ammo - only reliably cycling Stingers and Mini Mags.

It is currently in stock at Federal, where you can order it directly from them: https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfi...11-PD22L1.html

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Impressive...

"Stanger".

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
Impressive...

"Stanger".

Brian
Have you seen them for sale? They actually say, "Stanger" on the box. I went to buy some at Cabela's when they first came out, but they couldn't keep them on the shelves. I found the empty box they come in, though.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfi...6-50100CC.html
Old 06-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

No, I have not seen them, until now. But, seeing who's name is on the package, it works!

I enjoy watch him shoot. He's very good at what he does.

Brian
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
500grains
Soldier of Allah

I wonder what velocity I would get from a NAA revolver with a 1 inch barrel.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
I wonder what velocity I would get from a NAA revolver with a 1 inch barrel.
A little less than you would from a 2" barrel, I'd wager. Although, I've watched a few Youtube videos on this ammo, and the variance in velocity is not as drastic vis-a-vis barrel length as it is for other ammo.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
Sanders

Winchester, not wanting to be outdone by Federal, came up with their own self defense round. They went with a totally different concept of a fragmenting hollow point at 1,060 out of a 3-1/2" bbl.

I haven't seen any reviews of it, yet.

I'm a bit skeptical, as .22 LR has a terrible reputation for inconsistent hollow point performance, especially out of pistol-length barrels. Even your premium hollow point ammo has unreliable expansion. So, since this depends on it fragmenting, what will it do when clothing or other materials plug the hollow point cavity?

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...imfire/W22LRST
Old 07-29-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
Sanders

I forgot to post a followup to this thread.

After checking the Federal website every day for several weeks, I found it in stock and ordered a few boxes of 50. My lovely wife was also checking it for me and was out of town when she saw it come up and ordered a few boxes for me as well.

I got out to test it at an overcrowded shooting spot on BLM land near my place. Because of the crowds, it was pretty much an in and out trip to function check.

Tested it in a Ruger SR22 pistol w/3-1/2" bbl, a Beretta "Bobcat" 21A, and a Ruger Mark II 22/45 w/5" bbl. I had a Single Six, but forgot I had a .22 Mag cylinder in it. I also forgot the Henry .22 rifle I wanted to test it in just to see what this stuff would do out of the long barrel.

Anyway, it functioned great in the Rugers. The 22/45 is a dedicated target pistol with a bull barrel and an old (Japan made) Tasco red dot. It was hitting where I aimed. Some of these pistols can be finicky with ammo, but this one never really has been. No hiccups.

The Ruger SR22 just eats anything I feed it. No surprises at all, there. I did notice the increased power over a standard velocity round. Felt recoil and muzzle blast was similar to Stingers.

The big surprise for me was the Beretta. This is the type of pistol this ammo is supposed to be designed for. It is a picky gun, though. Not having an extractor, it relies on the pressure and recoil to shuck the empty shell from the barrel before cycling the new one. So far, the only reliable ammo for this particular pistol has been CCI Mini Mags and Stingers. I could not get through a mag of the Federal Punch. Every round hung up - either fail to eject or fail to feed. I will clean it real well and polish the chamber and try it again. For function purposes, to make sure it was not broken in some way, I ran a mag each of Mini Mags and Stingers without problems through it. I'll follow up on this one for you guys.

Paul Harrell just put out a video where he tests the Punch ammo, and he didn't have any problems with it in his Beretta 21A.

https://youtu.be/PlL3uBoTrM8
Old 07-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
500grains
Soldier of Allah

I used to suggest that people purchase a self defense pistol with sufficient power to get the job done. Then I realized that they left it at home. Now I suggest they get a Ruger LCR in 22 LR (8 shots, very easy double action pull, red laser grips).

In the self-defense long gun arena, I have always advised people away from a shotgun and preferably toward a pencil barrel AR-15 (light weight, light recoil, 30 shots, no action to short stroke and jam). With multiple new shooters I have compared AR15 to M1 carbine to AK-47 to Remington 870 and every single one of them has been more accurate and safer with an AR-15. I would also not hesitate to recommend a S&W AR-15 .22 LR to someone who wanted a self defense long gun on the basis that it is very light and they could probably hit their target and develop good confidence with it.

The end.
500grains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:45 PM   #10
4thIDvet
slug

It is better to hit an assailant with a .22 than to miss them with a .44 magnum.