Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
Sanders

Mexican Carne Asada street tacos

This was my dinner tonight. Wife is out of town, and I'm bach'n it.

Started with a flap steak, marinated just before I went to work.

Marinate consisted of the following (no measurements - just kind of equal portions of dry and liquids. For guessing purposes, figure 2 tablespoons of each dry ingredient and 1/2 cup of the wet ingredients)

Green chile powder (my jar was labeled HOT. I bought it at a farm store in Deming, NM a couple years ago)

Garlic powder

Onion powder

Coarse kosher salt

ground sage (should have used ground cumin also)

red wine vinegar

Key lime juice

orange juice

olive oil

Peruvian Aji Amarillo - a hotsauce I got in the bargain bin at the grocery store, for a little added kick.

mix all ingredients thoroughly. Put steak in a gallon zip-lock freezer bag. Dump marinade in bag, seal and work it around the meat. Open bag, then squeeze all the air out before resealing. Place in refrigerator for 1-4 hrs (or 8 hrs in my case - but the meat didn't pickle or cook from the acidics, so it's all good)

On a hot grill, sear the steak to medium rare (or however you like your meat). A little char gives it some good flavor. I also added some mesquite chips to my little grill smoker that sits above the burners.

Take the meat off and let rest 5-15 minutes. Then cut it into small cubes or strips.

I used small corn tortillas, heated up on a griddle to warm, but not crisp. Doubled up they don't break apart as easily as if you just use one. A lot of folks prefer flour tortillas. You go with what you like.

I put the cheese on top of the meat. The cheese is Queso Fresco - a mild-tasting crumbly white mexican cheese. Comparable to mozzarella, except for it being crumbly. You use whatever you like - shredded cheddar or even American cheese slices. There are no rules - only flavor.

I garnished with shredded broccoli slaw from the store - because they were out of coleslaw mix. You can use lettuce, tomatoes, onions, or whatever tickles your palate. My first experience with street tacos was in Mexico, on the West coast. They served them with shredded cabbage. Instead of buying a whole cabbage for a few tacos, I find the coleslaw mix works just fine for me.

Salsa is Herdez Guacamole Salsa.

The plate could have benefited from some lime quarters to squeeze on the tacos. They would have tasted good, but I don't mind going without on the beef tacos. If they were fish, though...

A little chopped cilantro would really have set the dish off for flavor. I didn't have any fresh, but had some in a tube. What I did with that was spread it on the meat when I put it on the grill. I should have probably put a couple tablespoons in the marinade, because I couldn't taste it after the meat was cooked.

Carne asada street tacos by B Sanders, on Flickr

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
slug

Looks good Sir...

Frozen pizza here
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
baboon
slug

I'd eat those!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

That looks great healthy food to.
Watching a show on the influence of Italian foods in America at 03:00 this morning. I got so frigging hungry I almost drove to our pizza shop in town smashed their window and started cooking.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
ColonelKorn
High Priest of Honkydom

!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Looks great. I never met a taco I didn't like.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:09 AM   #7
cerberus
Dud

I always get the Dole tri-color slaw mix. I'm not lazy, it's just easier than chopping a head myself. How did you like the Broccoli Slaw?
cerberus
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
I always get the Dole tri-color slaw mix. I'm not lazy, it's just easier than chopping a head myself. How did you like the Broccoli Slaw?
cerberus
It's actually pretty good. I was afraid it would taste too strong of broccoli, but it doesn't.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:34 AM   #9
500grains
Soldier of Allah

I could eat 4 plates of those!
Old 08-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
Sanders

I made them last night using venison carne asada.

Not even a hint of gaminess in the meat using the following marinade:

Juice from one orange

Juice from one lime

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1/2 cup olive oil

1 tablespoon course kosher salt

1/2 tablespoon ground cumin

1/2 tablespoon onion powder

1/2 tablespoon crushed garlic

1 tablespoon green chile powder

mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients seperately. Put the meat in a gallon zip lock bag. Then mix the wet and dry together before pouring into the bag over the meat. Seal the bag and work the marinade around the meat, then slightly open the bag and press the air out and place in the refrigerator for 6 hours to overnight.

Grill the meat to rare-med rare (120-130 internal temp). Remove from fire and let rest 5 minutes. Then slice the meat up in thin strips, then dice for tacos.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #11
aviator
unum de multis

Lime juice on the meat before cooking makes your meat tough.

Damn....I never thought of that! At our age that may be a good idea.

But seriously it does.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Lime juice on the meat before cooking makes your meat tough.

Damn....I never thought of that! At our age that may be a good idea.

But seriously it does.
Maybe the other ingredients dilute it enough that it doesn't make the meat tough, because everything I've cooked with that marinade has been melt-in-your-mouth tender. Of course, the key is to not overcook the meat, too.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #13
ColonelKorn
High Priest of Honkydom

A lot of times I will cook beef or venison in the crock pot with coffee as a tenderizer. Would probably work good on taco fillings.
ColonelKorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #14
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Maybe the other ingredients dilute it enough that it doesn't make the meat tough, because everything I've cooked with that marinade has been melt-in-your-mouth tender. Of course, the key is to not overcook the meat, too.
Maybe but as a rule I never use lemon or lime on meat before cooking. My grandmother used to say that.

edit: What do you know, I just did a search, it's the other way around. Guess she was wrong
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote