Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 09-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #1
Sanders

Question The best marksmen in the country based on (lack of) ammo availability

It has to be those who shoot .30-06 rifles, based on such a common round with such little availability.

Who shoots a lot of .30-06? CMP shooters for the most part. Who are CMP shooters? Mostly, but not all Veterans, who take defense of our country very seriously.

If I were a tyrant and wanted to minimize the collective effectiveness of the country’s best and most effective shooters, I’d quietly work behind the scenes to take their teeth away by making it difficult to obtain.

That’s muh conspiracy theory and I’m sticking with it. After all, the rest of my conspiracy theories have come true, and I needed a new one.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #2
slug

And it’s going to get worse…

In so many ways
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
gunkgy

buy reloading components now, before they all dry up again.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:08 PM   #4
graynote

The best marksman depends on the discipline. Many would argue BR shooters are the best and they shoot 6mm PPC. Some would say it’s those shooting from field conditions ala PRS and they shoot a variety of 6mm and 6.5mm rounds including 6XC, 6mm Creed, 6.5x47 Lapua, etc.

Of course, most all competitive shooters are loading their own rounds. When I shot a lot of PRS I shot 6.5x47 Lapua and .260 Rem. For F-Class I shot 6.5-284 and .260 Rem. Of course, I always rolled my own.

.30-06 is one of the most popular rounds ever made and chambered in many, many rifles. It’s one of the most common hunting rounds as well. It’s a fine chambering. I’d imagine popularity has since been eclipsed by 5.56 NATO.

I have a couple friends in the ammo manufacturing industry. According to them, they run ammunition in lines for a few weeks then switch cartridges when they meet orders.

Both guys say their respective plants have continuous production of 5.56/.223 and 9mm. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to put most your eggs in those two baskets. But not all.

I don’t see this getting better before it gets worse. Especially with the dirty deeds of the current administration. Get while the getting is good and keep your powder dry! I’ll keep an eye out for any more .30-06 at the range. Us usually there is quite a bit of .270, .308, .30-06 laying around as whitetail season approaches.
graynote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
FloridaAKM
Military Truck Collector

And that my friends is how some of the old guys have viewed the ammo situation for many years. When once fired brass was cheap & available, along with the rest of the reloading components, we bought what we could get & reloaded it & stored it in desiccant containing steel US military ammo cans for later usage.

Now when the enemy is at the gates, we don't have to knash our teeth & wring our hands as to did we store up enough ammo for all the guns. Of the calibers you mentioned above, only .270 is the caliber I have none of, or guns either for that matter.
FloridaAKM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #6
bill3542

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkgy View Post
buy reloading components now, before they all dry up again.
I'm still good on powder,bullets and primers, I've been reloading for over 45 years and currently working on 8mm Mauser cases.

I do .223, 308, 30.06, 8mm Mauser and .357 Mag. in 2020 6.5 Creedmoor was added along with .243 Win.

I also have dies for 7.62x25 Tok but have never loaded any.

I only do .243 as a favor for a buddies grandson, he's paying for all the materials and is glad I load it up for him.
bill3542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
RetVet
Statistical Error

Components are getting scarce too and expensive.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:14 PM   #8
Stoned_Oli
King of S'marm

I wonder how good this stuff is.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/cent...se-am8006.html
“But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’ because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

~ Thomas Jefferson to Issac Tiffany, 1816
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:12 AM   #9
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned_Oli View Post
I bought 200 rounds from Centerfire last month, but haven’t had a chance to try it out, yet. The guys on the CMP forum who have shot it, say it’s good to go.

Too bad Centerfire is sold out. It is much easier to come up with the funds for 200 than for a case of 1,000.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:37 PM   #10
Sanders

Old 09-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
FloridaAKM
Military Truck Collector

Where are his spare barrels? You are supposed to change the barrel after every 200 rounds.

I guess when you have hordes of NVA coming over the ridge, you change the barrel when it melts! ;-)
Old 09-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #12
FloridaAKM
Military Truck Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I bought 200 rounds from Centerfire last month, but haven’t had a chance to try it out, yet. The guys on the CMP forum who have shot it, say it’s good to go.

Too bad Centerfire is sold out. It is much easier to come up with the funds for 200 than for a case of 1,000.
$0.85 a round for surplus ammo that is corrosive. Hard pass right there, not because of the corrosive issue, but you still have to pay shipping & maybe taxxes.

Damn I am glad I loaded up all that HXP brass that I could find years ago.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:18 AM   #13
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
Where are his spare barrels? You are supposed to change the barrel after every 200 rounds.

I guess when you have hordes of NVA coming over the ridge, you change the barrel when it melts! ;-)
If my great-uncle got drunk enough, and no women were around, he’d tell about the human wave attacks in Korea, and his machinegun barrel getting so white hot you could see the bullets going through it. Then they’d use the dead zipperheads as sandbags to fortify their positions. I wound up with the Remington Model 11 he carried over there.