Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > General Discussion Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2019, 06:00 AM   #1
Czubek
Cat Bowling Champion

Thumbs up Meet the Man at the Controls of the World’s Largest Steam Locomotive

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...prmzSY5UU_sMpA

Quote:
There’s no doubt about it. Ed Dickens is a rockstar. Dickens is a steam locomotive engineer and mechanic who maintains the Union Pacific Railroad’s historic steam and diesel fleet, which now includes the world’s largest steam locomotive, known to train buffs around the world as “Big Boy.” And everywhere that Dickens goes—and he’s going all over—train fans let him hear it.
There's no doubt about it, being at the controls of a million pounds of articulated steam locomotive would be an absolute thrill that would never get boring.

My family was all railroad, up to both my grandfathers. One was a master steam engine mechanic and the other a RR cop and both had lots of great stories.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:06 AM   #2
Angry White Trash
slug

Very cool!!
Old 09-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post

My family was all railroad, up to both my grandfathers. One was a master steam engine mechanic and the other a RR cop and both had lots of great stories.

Brian
My grandpa was an engineer. He started out on steam engines and saw the transition to diesel electric.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
flashy

My great grandfather was a train engineer for the Trenton railroad, my father was named after him and he inherited his most prized possession his pocket watch. Grand mom said he would be gone usually 2 or 3 days at a time, then when he got hit back he would go drinking and would send the kids down to the yard to steal coal off the cars to heat the house. My great grandma was alive when I was young, she always said he was a bastard who left her to raise loads of kids mostly on her own while he worked and then would come home and do as he pleased.
flashy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Diesel 88888888
slug

Spinz

That story brought a 'tear' to my old eyes; when two of my grandsons were born and growing up, they and their parents lived with me, one of the sacrifices was the dining room table in the main dining room; it became an HO railroad...and one of the engines we bought was a "Big Boy" that was hand made in Germany...impressive even on the dinner table...yes, we preserved the whole thing though the house/home is long gone...maybe it'll go together and run again like the story about the real Big Boy, supra.

When I was little, the first trip away from home was on a steam locomotive pulled train whose passenger cars were built in the 1880's...always prayed deep down that when we were boarding the engines wouldn't be facing into the station...they would vent steam and to my little mind it was equal to a fire breathing dragon. Folks used to send the kids out onto the tracks to find chunks of coal that fell off the trains; the 'great' depression years were like that...and this was how many homes were heated; now, bring me an environmentalist/climate change asshole...to kill and eat for dinner!

Duty is Action; Fight Or Die! Fight Or I'll Kill You Myself!
Diesel 88888888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
Czubek
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
My grandpa was an engineer. He started out on steam engines and saw the transition to diesel electric.
I bet he's had stories to tell, also. I have a couple of folks I know that are engineers for UP. That's definitely a job you don't just step in to. I have the utmost respect for them.

They retired my one grandfather when the diesel electrics came on line, as the steam mechanics/machinists were just not needed and training them on something that new and so different would be expensive and tough for the older guys. So he went to work at Cherry Rivet as a master machinist in their tool and die department, making double the money for less than half the work. He started with the RR as a "boiler monkey", or whatever they called them. He was a little guy that could fit in the fire boxes to mark steam leaks while they were still hot enough, so the welders could fix them.

Brian
Czubek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Merc
Expendable

The Big Boy is BIG .
A great restored piece of American History.
This is Gordon from Thomas The Tank Engine.

MERC
Old 09-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
REDOAK
Intelligent Posterior

My great grandfather worked a for a few years on the BZ&C, which became the OR&W railroad. It was a narrow gauge railroad that wound around the hills a few miles from me.
REDOAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
hangfire
Home on the range

My town was a major B&O maint facility.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
Merc
Expendable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
There's no doubt about it, being at the controls of a million pounds of articulated steam locomotive would be an absolute thrill that would never get boring.

Brian
Good stuff

MERC
Merc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
Merc
Expendable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
MERC
Old 09-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
Diesel 88888888
slug

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOAK View Post
My great grandfather worked a for a few years on the BZ&C, which became the OR&W railroad. It was a narrow gauge railroad that wound around the hills a few miles from me.
I saw my first Diesel Locomotive while crossing the Mississippi River from TN to Arkansas and must have been about 7...it might as well have been a space ship...didn't know what I was looking at but it didn't belch steam and was so clean and streamlined...compared to coal burning steam that is.
Diesel 88888888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #13
Merc
Expendable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 88888888 View Post
I saw my first Diesel Locomotive while crossing the Mississippi River from TN to Arkansas and must have been about 7...it might as well have been a space ship...didn't know what I was looking at but it didn't belch steam and was so clean and streamlined...compared to coal burning steam that is.

Big Boy and , of course , Gordon from
Thomas The Tank Engine

MERC
Old 09-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #14
Angry White Trash
slug

I've always had an interest in railroads, steam engines, round houses and the like. I built a gigantic HO model railroad on (4) 4x8 sheets of plywood. I spent countless hrs making mountains, tunnels, laying track. building little cities, cars & people, fake static grass, bushes & trees, etc.

It's still interesting to me.
Angry White Trash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #15
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

I originally misread the post from Merc. Yeah - the blue engine ain't Thomas.

Thomas would have looked something like this in real life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26S...side_tanks.jpg