Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Shotguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
billt

Default Champion Wheelybird Electric Trap

http://www.cabelas.com/product/champ...heelybird+trap

I picked up one of these a couple of weeks back, and finally got it out today to throw some clays. I've got several shotguns that are not really good for 16 yard Trapshooting. Like self defense shotguns and the like with open chokes and short to medium length barrels. And with this I thought I could get more use out of them. I got a good deal on it at Cabela's, along with a $25.00 off coupon.

It's a nice, well built unit, that goes together nice and easy. The only changes I made were with the wheels. The one's they give you are cheap, molded plastic. I found a nice pair at Harbor Freight that had nice rubber tires with a Polypropylene hub that matched and fit perfectly. They're also an inch bigger in diameter and allow for more angle adjustment. I didn't bother installing that stupid circular "guard". If you're dumb enough to hurt yourself with this thing, you shouldn't be handling a gun in the first place.

I picked up a cheap lead / acid car battery from Wal-Mart, along with one of those "Battery Tenders" to keep it charged up. The thing ran perfectly, straight out of the box with no adjustments, tossing clay targets a good 55 to 60 yards. It never broke a single clay. It cycles pretty fast. I would say in under 2 seconds. The magazine holds 50 targets that gives you a lot of shooting. After that many you want to take a rest anyway. We threw 180 targets, and the battery only recharged for about an hour at 750 milliamps, (3/4's of an amp). So their claim of 3,000 targets on a full battery doesn't seem to be an inflated claim. However if you're going to put the machine through heavy use, you might want to invest in a deep cycle marine type battery.

The unit isn't very heavy, and it fits nice in the bed of my truck. The target magazine clears the top of my Leer Top by a couple of inches. It won't throw doubles, but if you keep the pedal depressed, it will fire in pretty rapid succession. Fast enough to keep a pump gun shooter really busy. I've got to find a better source for targets besides Wal-Mart. They handle them too roughly, and in 2 boxes of 90 birds, I had at least a dozen broken one's. I'll try Cabela's for my next bunch.

I looked at the Champion Wheelybird, and the Do All White Wing. Both seemed good, but the Champion got better reviews, so I went with it. For anyone who likes to bust clay, this is a nice trap for not a whole lot of money.
billt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Good report, and especially the replacement wheels you obtained!
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
billt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Good report, and especially the replacement wheels you obtained!
If anyone buys one of these units, these are the replacement wheels I purchased from Harbor Freight. They fit perfectly. Just remove the retaining clip, slide off the old wheel, and these will slide right on. Snap the clip back in place, and you're good to go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...eel-98951.html
billt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
If anyone buys one of these units, these are the replacement wheels I purchased from Harbor Freight. They fit perfectly. Just remove the retaining clip, slide off the old wheel, and these will slide right on. Snap the clip back in place, and you're good to go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...eel-98951.html
Thanks, I just bookmarked that page for many other reasons.
I paid a fortune for the last wheels I needed for a little trailer.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
belt-fed

i have the champion with out wheels bolt it down in the bed of my ford ranger
works great have the wobbler so so it will not throw same spot much more fun
belt-fed is online now   Reply With Quote