Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
Sanders

Default Smokin' a butt

Got a Boston butt going on the ugly drum smoker I made. It's keeping a temp of 225 right now, and I have a few oak chunks for the smoke.

It was going good earlier, but then I noticed the temp dropping. I figured out why right away. Because the drum seals up so well, I figured I didn't need a water pan under the meat to keep it moist. What I didn't think of is the water dripping from the meat and putting out my coals. So, I put a pan under it and the temp is back where it should be.

Made some homemade BBQ sauce (first time making it - tastes too strong of paprika, though) to put on the pulled pork later, and will make sandwiches out of it. I was going for a sweet/sour/spicy sauce. I got the sweet and sour right, but it needs some more chile or black pepper. My wife is allergic to pepper and can't eat spicy foods, so I'll just keep it like it is for now. The recipe could benefit from a little cayenne pepper, though.

BBQ sauce recipe (measurements are approximate)

1 cup ketchup

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1/2 cup water

3 tablespoons molasses

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 tablespoons paprika (may want to cut this down to 1 tablespoon)

1 tablespoon red chile powder

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon ground mustard powder

1/4 cup pickled minced onions (from my garden, canned last year)

1 tablespoon minced garlic

2 teaspoon thyme

2 teaspoon celery seed

Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add onions and caramelize. Add garlic and sautee for a minute or so. Then add paprika, chile powder and mix into a paste. Add liquid ingredients. Bring to a simmer and add the rest of the spices, whisking them in. Let simmer another 15-20 minutes then turn the heat off, cover and let cool.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Konstantin

Mmm. Sounds good. I use drum smoker too, works great. What time you eating?
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin View Post
Mmm. Sounds good. I use drum smoker too, works great. What time you eating?
Around 5 or 6, if everything goes well. Haven't given much thought to side dishes, except for a can of Bush's baked beans.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Sanders you must have mesquite wood out where you are? That has got to be one of my favorite smoking woods and it is not easy to come by back east here. $$
Do you like it or ever use it?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
aviator
unum de multis

How long will it take me to make it to NM?
Old 05-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
How long will it take me to make it to NM?
Pick me up on your way bye Fred you ain't leaving me back here I am hungry.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Konstantin

When you guys do come to NM I'll make sure you eat some of the best food the world has to offer. You can get "Mexican" food anywhere in the world, but you gotta come here to get the good stuff.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
4thIDvet
slug

Smile

Quote:
When you guys do come to NM I'll make sure you eat some of the best food the world has to offer. You can get "Mexican" food anywhere in the world, but you gotta come here to get the good stuff.
True Knostantin the best Mehican food I ever had was out west. For seafood you hit the east and west coasts. For Italian the north east. Greek food is outrageous good and is pretty much a given all over the country.
New Orleans for just plain all around excellent meals. Traveling by we asked a man where a good place to eat their was?
"Hell the first restaurant that is open that you come to. If the food ain't great their usually closed the next damn day."
Old 05-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Sanders you must have mesquite wood out where you are? That has got to be one of my favorite smoking woods and it is not easy to come by back east here. $$
Do you like it or ever use it?
Not much mesquite where I live. Probably because of the altitude. An hour or so drive either East or South and I get into some scrub stuff.

I grew up grilling on mesquite, though - living in Southern Arizona. So, I do use it a lot. I don't know if they carry it where you live, but Costco sells big bags of mesquite lump charcoal by the brand name, "Diablo", that works really well and gives a good flavor to the meat. You can also get some mesquite smoking chunks and chips at Home Depot.

I'm using oak because I cut a bunch last season when I was getting firewood. I cut a bunch of the oak just for smoking. Brought it home and cut it into chunks and put it in empty feed sacks.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
Sanders

Quote:
Take them to the Dog House for a chile dog, or even Bob's Burgers.

The problem with the Dog House now is that it got famous on Breaking Bad and you can't hardly get into the parking lot, anymore.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
The problem with the Dog House now is that it got famous on Breaking Bad and you can't hardly get into the parking lot, anymore.
Reminds me of the old Yogi Berra quote; "Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded."
Old 05-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
Sanders

It came out good!

I guess I should post pictures next time....
Old 05-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #13
4thIDvet
slug

Long time ago I posted about a mans BBQ place in the old abandoned industrial A.O. off the RT. 95 in Bridgeport Conn. He came out of Texas having retired from Vidal Sassoon corp.
Took all his friends BBQ Texas recopies he wrote down and a tractor trailer load of mesquite wood and got to smoking. When the wind was right the be comin outs of dat ghetto.
"What be dat smell it be smellin goods." They never smelled mesquite before. Holy sheet this guy retired a mega millionaire the line was a mile long all afternoon long. White and Black all lined up.

ADD: Once a month or so a tractor trailer pulled in with more of that mesquite.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
slug

When I saw 'Smoking A' Butt'

I thought that this was a BOTD...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #15
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
When I saw 'Smoking A' Butt'