Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Gardening, Animal Husbandry, and Yard Care
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
Sanders

Default Woodcutting - 2016

Will be delayed by a month due to wife's surgery keeping me from obtaining permits from the Forest Service on opening day. They sold out in two days and will not have more available until June 28th.

I had planned on cutting wood for my Memorial Day weekend.

That's all.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
4thIDvet
slug

The forestry service has a racket going with that stuff here Sanders. They plot out several acres of their forest land to cut the dead wood. They get the scraps cleaned up for free.
Then the S.O.B.s sell contracts for large plats of the forest for the loggers to cut. $$ Geez I wonder where that money goes?
Old 05-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
The forestry service has a racket going with that stuff here Sanders. They plot out several acres of their forest land to cut the dead wood. They get the scraps cleaned up for free.
Then the S.O.B.s sell contracts for large plats of the forest for the loggers to cut. $$ Geez I wonder where that money goes?
In several Western States that money was supposed to go for school support.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
In several Western States that money was supposed to go for school support.
Bears they finally stopped putting up the Fla. lottery billboards here stating "Billons upon billions raised for our states school children."
Every private club here Moose, VFW, etc. has a collection box to buy kids needed school supplies for the coming year. People were asking where the frig the lottery money was going? Whoops they took Dem down.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Sanders

At least the area I've been cutting is being thinned. The Forest Service sawyers cut down the trees and us woodcutters go in and cut them up and haul them off.

It is mostly Ponderosa pine. It is not the best wood for a wood stove or fireplace, but it keeps us warm in the winter. I usually find some oak, juniper, and cedar, but not much in that particular area.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Sanders

Angry

Damn it! Some asshole went and set the woodcutting area on fire!

I'll bet a dollar it was some mexican flicked his cigarette out the window, or threw it on the ground.

http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/...0#.V2BpI-SRahk
Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #7
10 Bears

Damn, that's too bad, an entire resource consumed by fire.

Are there any other near by places to cut your wood?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Damn, that's too bad, an entire resource consumed by fire.

Are there any other near by places to cut your wood?
The next closest place is about an hour and a half away, and is on fire, too.

I'll have to check what the BLM woodcutting areas are like. From what I've seen on their website, it's all pinon and scrub juniper, though.

Even then, they are about an hour and half away, too.

Nice thing about this woodcutting area is that I could go out and get a cord in a couple hours. Not going to happen again, for a very long time.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 AM   #9
Sanders

They are estimating it at 2,000 acres, now. The smoke is getting pretty bad at my house.

My youngest daughter just started with VFD a few months ago. They are sending her to Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque to load tanker planes, since she isn't qualified to fight on the lines, yet.

Since it is on federal land, she'll probably get paid for her efforts, even though she won't be out on the fire, itself.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #10
Konstantin

Was smoky here yesterday too. I am about 8 miles from the fire. Lots of ash and bits of burned tree bark falling from the sky.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
Konstantin

Well, just looked at the map. We are a little less than 5 miles from the fire now and it is blowing up again. Heading out now to get fuel for the dozer. Looks like I may be pushing trees today.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #12
10 Bears

Around here they use the "Heavy Lift" choppers, faster turn around.
An extended relative flies the big Sikorsky and another model.
He's on call throughout the fire season along with other heavy lift jobs.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Sanders

One of the guys who works for me is the assistant fire chief at the VFD on the other side of the mountain from the fire. He said he watched a Chinook load up with water, yesterday. He'd never been close to a Chinook and was impressed by the size.

I've seen those heavy lift helicopters in action on a wildfire in Northern California. They carry a pretty big bucket, that's for sure. They were filling it in the lake in front of where I was living at the time.

Fire is up to 16,000 acres and 24 structures burned. Wind is blowing pretty gusty this morning - so much so that I couldn't see the smoke from my house, as the wind was keeping it close to the ground, which I can imagine was moving the fire along at a pretty good clip toward the grasslands.

If you look at the map, the SW corner of the red is where the fire started. That is right inside the designated woodcutting area.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
Konstantin

Still burning, still watching.

Yes, Sanders I do have a good generator. I've got it hooked up to run the well, a jet pump from water storage, the well and a couple outlets for the fridge and freezer. I feel bad for the people that did evacuate, they were told it will be a minimum of 5 days before they could come back. I have too many back roads for them to stop me from coming and going.

Ten Bears, there were quite a few helicopters dropping water too. My boy was amazed by the CH-47. All of those pilots are awesome. They must be half metal, nerves of steel and brass balls.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #15
Konstantin

Still trying to figure out how to post pictures from my phone. I got some good ones of the DC-10 dropping slurry.