Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Computer Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Computer Forum For questions and conversations about Computers and the Internet

Old 04-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
dinkydow

Question Smartphones

The battery is beginning to die in my galaxy 8 smartphone..they...of course are not replaceable except at the depot level. I have been looking at galaxy 9 smartphones as a replacement.

Any pros...or....cons...or?

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
The battery is beginning to die in my galaxy 8 smartphone..they...of course are not replaceable except at the depot level. I have been looking at galaxy 9 smartphones as a replacement.

There are electronics repair shops that can change the battery. Also, you may be able to do it yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Mkp3wdwu4

I had the Note 9, but wasn't really happy with it, but maybe the Galaxy 9 or newer would be better?

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #3
dinkydow

Hmmmmmm....well seeing is kinda believing.

Seens simple enough.

I wonder from whom and how you obtain a new battery?

Wonder how much one costs.

I like my galaxy 8 just fine. Where can one find a kind of side by side comparison of the various models of smartphones?
Old 04-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Hmmmmmm....well seeing is kinda believing.

Seens simple enough.

I wonder from whom and how you obtain a new battery?

Wonder how much one costs.

I like my galaxy 8 just fine. Where can one find a kind of side by side comparison of the various models of smartphones?
This help?
https://specspro.net/phones/?brands=samsung/

Brian
Old 04-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Just a quick search, I found these: https://www.amazon.com/galaxy-s8-bat...axy+s8+battery

Seems Amazon is has best selection.

If you search, make sure you use "-note -tab" after the search string, as that will eliminate about a billion results.

Brian
Old 04-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
Sanders

I really liked my Galaxy Note 8, then the company decided I needed a new phone and got me a Google something-or-other. I don't care much for it.

My personal phone is an iPhone 8, that replaced the old flip phone, after it fell apart. It is growing on me.

Just remember, all of them are listening and tracking devices. Even when turned "off".

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #7
dinkydow

Well shit. I had no idea that was even possible to change a battery out....let alone score a replacement and tools...all in one purchase from amazon....

When neccessary....I place my phone and often guests phones inside a military steel .50 cal ammo box. Seems to work well as a faraday cage....
Old 04-19-2020, 11:28 PM   #8
Sanders

My sister tests a lot of things for DARPA and outfits like that. She often goes places they aren't "allowed" cell phones. One, for security, but also because what she tests involves powerful radios, microwaves, and radiation.

She said, believe it or not, that simply wrapping your cell phone in aluminum foil makes a decent Faraday cage. She should know. If it didn't work, she'd be telling me about how many cell phones she'd had fried.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:

I have a Galaxy 9. I've been happy with it. I think I'm going to trade it in on a Galaxy 20 soon
Old 06-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #10
dinkydow

Well FUCK!

My Galaxy 8 just shit itself. The screen has locked into a password required mode before it will boot up. I was able to ONCE out of 20+ tries to get it to boot up. I went to the settings part and checked to see that it was NOT selected as part of startup....I have not been able to get it to boot since that ONE time.

It will allow incoming calls...but THAT is it.

Anyone ever seen that shit before?
Old 06-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #11
aviator
unum de multis

Probably the battery just died. I had an Iphone 6 that developed a weird problem and one day I picked it up and the battery had swollen and even popped the case open. There are places that will replace the battery for about $75-$100, I would not recommend anyone doing it themselves unless you have experience with small electronics, it's very easy to mess something up.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:28 PM   #12
RetVet
Statistical Error

And speaking of smartphones or Android phones/tablets, go to settings -> Google app and have a look at "services". Covid-19 exposure notifications has been installed without your knowing it most likely. I don't own a smartphone, but do have a Google tablet. More big brother tracking of people.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:35 AM   #13
dinkydow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
And speaking of smartphones or Android phones/tablets, go to settings -> Google app and have a look at "services". Covid-19 exposure notifications has been installed without your knowing it most likely. I don't own a smartphone, but do have a Google tablet. More big brother tracking of people.

I never allowed those ..."notifications"... to be installed.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #14
RTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
My wife and I found it on our Galaxy phones. It has to be authorized to be turned on by the user. I have my doubts about that since google snuck it on the phones without our permission.

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:04 AM   #15
RetVet
Statistical Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO View Post
My wife and I found it on our Galaxy phones. It has to be authorized to be turned on by the user. I have my doubts about that since google snuck it on the phones without our permission.
Ditto. I didn't install it on my tablet and didn't know it was even there until I read about it.
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote