Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Bluntforce
slug

Question Llama problems

My sister owns a Llama that has a hammer problem. When she fires the weapon, the hammer falls to half-cock. It never fires twice per pull, and sometimes it works right. This is the only problem she has with it. What is the likely cause?
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I'm guessing it is either a worn hammer or sear.

You might take a look at this drawing. It is one of a 1911. I don't have one for a Llama yet. But, it is almost exactly the same as a Llama.

Take a look at how the sear stops the hammer after it has been cocked or fired.

Double click on the link to make it expand.

http://www.dirtydozensbunker.com/ima...parts/1911.gif
Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
Bluntforce
slug

I just tested the grip safety. It does not work. I cocked it and held it without depressing the grip safety and the trigger moves back and the hammer falls smoothly.

I'm taking it apart to see if it is missing a part.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Bluntforce
slug

I'm telling her to take it to a gunsmith.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Probably a worn-out or broken sear.

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Bluntforce
slug

Thank you. I'll replace the sear and see if that does it.

I put the flat mainspring housing and standard grips on my 1911 yesterday. I fell in love with it all over again! It fits my hand finally. The fool that came up with arched housings needed a swift kick to the nutsack.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Bluntforce
slug

Ordered sear from GPC today, will update on results.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Did you take it apart first? It could be either the sear (probably is) or it could be the notch in the hammer - especially if the previous owner thought he was a gunsmith and tried to lighten up the trigger pull.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

llama, half-cock, is this supposed to be in the firearms talk, or barnyard adventures?

Yeah, its one of those days.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Try increasing the spring tension on the finger of the flat leaf spring that tensions the sear, also, try bending the finger of the spring that operates the grip safety. Might solve both problems for you. The spring in question is the flat 3 fingered deal that lives under the mainspring housing. Depending on the age of the pistol & use its seen it could be time to get a new spring & tune it.

Also, the arched mainspring housing was introduced on the 1911a1 model to compensate for the shortening of the trigger.

If you look at Browning's original 1911 design the trigger was very long and the MSH was flat, however, it didnt leave much room for a gloved hand to to access the trigger guard. The arched MSH and shorter trigger was the trade off to make more room in the trigger guard. Have a look at a picture of a 1911 & a 1911a1 & you will get the idea.

Having typed all that, I always set my 1911 type pistols up with Smith & Alexander flat MSH with integral mag well & 20 LPI checkering. (30 LPI looks nice but doesnt bite into the hand enough for me).
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #11
Bluntforce
slug

In it's life it was stolen once and when the little shit (who stole it) found out he was playing with a real crime, called up the idiot he sold it to for return. This brave individual drove by my sister's house and returned it by tossing it out of the window of his car onto the lawn.

She had a very thick lawn, but I don't know what time of year it was or how it landed.

The pistol never had a problem before it's airborne career.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I didn't think about the spring, but could very well be right. That would certainly make the pistol act in that fashion.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
Bluntforce
slug

I found out it is the spring. Ordering one today.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

The sear spring often is behind that problem. (Next in line is the full cock notch in the hammer). Not because of a defective spring (or hammer)as such, but usually because of DIY trigger jobs. Reducing the spring tension on the sear is one way of making the trigger lighter but the problem you have is often the result. The spring is meant to put firm pressure on the sear so it engages properly & reliably.

I have seen the "experts" "tuning triggers" for others by this method alone in the carpark of the gun club & thinking they are something special.

Tuning a trigger on the 1911 platform is a balancing act involving the entire trigger group and the 4 springs that work together with it.

Ive never understood why people dont just learn to shoot with a stock gun instead of dicking around with things that only compromise the whole idea of having a piece.
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #15
Bluntforce
slug

FWIW I believe it landed on its hammer or the grip safety when it was thrown from the car. The third (one on the right) "finger" was severely bent toward the back. It almost has a corner in it.

I did not take it fully apart at first, I know I'm not a gunsmith and didn't want to damage it. The notches on the hammer and the sear are sharp and show no signs of filing or polishing.

The sear spring looks different (the severe angle in 'third' finger) than ones in schematics and photos.

The sear was less than $10.00, so as long as I don't damage the pistol reassembling it with the new spring, it was a cheap lesson.

Thank you for the help.