Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
scubadvr

Default Concealed Carry

Sam, WC846, has a Colt Pocket Lite (380 cal.) which I think is an outstanding concealed carry weapon. I have looked every where for one and they are no where. Regardless, I have been thinking about a Walther PPK. What do you guys think? Any recommendations. I want to stay either with 380 or 9mm. Thanks, Jack

www.warroom.com

www.michaelsavage.com

AMERICA FIRST
scubadvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Gus

Years ago I bought my wife a Colt MK IV/SERIES’80 Government Model 380 Auto semi automatic stainless steel pistol.

I love the thing for concealed carry and it's very accurate up to 15 yards, that's as far as I've shot it.

The Colt Pocket Lite (380 cal.) looks identical in size and shape, if it's like the little Colt 380 we have I have nothing but praise for it.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
aviator
unum de multis

That PPK is a heavy piece.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
HorseSoldier176
Retired Soldier

PPK is a nice weapon, but my opinion is that .380 is to small for tactical use, even in warm weather, when your opponents are not heavly dressed.

In the summer, I carry a full 9mmP, Glock 19, with a KelTec P-11 as a backup. Both are full 9mmP, and that is the smallest round I would ever consider for self protection. As the weather cools, I carry a Colt combat commander, in .45 ACP.

So far, I have never been forced to engage an opponent (with a personally owned weapon), but if I ever am, I want to ensure that I am the one who walks away from the fight alive!

Bruce R. Gadbois
HorseSoldier176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Something only slightly bigger and a fair amount more powerful than a Colt Pocket Lite 380 cal. (9x17) would be a Makarov in 9x18.

You might take that into consideration.

I carry it when I'm not packing my model 65 S&W. I carry it in a Fobus paddle holster.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Strongly second the Makarov, my own personal EDC. (90% of the time, 10% it's a 2 or 3 inch .357) choice determined more by dress and occasion than anything else.

I may have had a bad Walther, but I still consider the Makarov to be twice the gun for 1/3 the price.

I consider the 9x18 as 'acceptable' which is about where i rank the 9mm or .38 Spcl, a significant step up in results require .357, .44 or .45. And a snub .357 has a lot to recommend it.

That said , if there were any reason I might conceviably expect trouble I'd be carrying a 1911, (because all my .44's are SA) and if I actually expected trouble and had to go there for some inexplicable reason, handguns would not be part of the discussion.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
aviator
unum de multis

Horse, my son engaged an alligator at 7 feet with the PPK 380 and the shot went right through into the head.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Another gun very similar to the PPK in 9mm Makarov is the FEG-PA-63. Cheap too. Only complaint I (an other people who have shot mine) have about it is that with an aluminum frame it is not always nice to shoot for long periods of time.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

I don't have a real PPK, but I have one of the clones. It's pretty accurate and dependable, not to mention easily concealed. One of the Polish P-64 is pretty good too. It's actually a little smaller than the PPK clone and it uses 9x18, which packs a little more punch than 380 like Pogo said.

To me the P-64 is the easier of the 2 to conceal.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Ronald Reagan - 1964
-------------------------------------
Bunker Member #4.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I ordered a P64 like has for my shooting buddy. And it is almost identical to my Makarov. And as scheister said, because of the aluminum frame, it does sting a tad after shooting several rounds.

While we are on this subject, what 9x18 ammo do you guys use? Right now I'm using Sellier and Bellot, 95 grain. I'm wondering if anyone makes a good hollow point for the Makarov? Anyone know?

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread scuba, but it sort of pertains to what you were asking.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

The new Sig P250 is nice and my current carry piece...but its about $650 OTD

S&W 6906 would be in the $350 range.

Makarov is nice too.

KelTec P11...12rnds of 9mm in a very small package.

Basically as long as it feels good and shoots, go for it.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
I ordered a P64 like has for my shooting buddy. And it is almost identical to my Makarov. And as scheister said, because of the aluminum frame, it does sting a tad after shooting several rounds.

While we are on this subject, what 9x18 ammo do you guys use? Right now I'm using Sellier and Bellot, 95 grain. I'm wondering if anyone makes a good hollow point for the Makarov? Anyone know?

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread scuba, but it sort of pertains to what you were asking.
I just use cheap Wolf ammo in my PA-63, but I only carry it when my 1911 is too big and I am wanting more than the .25ACP from my RaVen.
scheistermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I see MidwayUSA has something I might be interested in.

Quote:
Glaser Pow'Rball Ammunition 9x18mm (9mm Makarov) 70 Grain Pow'Rball Box of 20

Loaded by Cor-Bon, the Pow'Rball round features a copper cup with compressed lead core. The jacketed bullet creates a deep penetrating bullet that retains most of its weight.
I might look for them at the next gun show I go to. I hate paying the expensive shipping cost for one box of pistol ammo.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
jaegersapper

I bought some of this from Midway

"Hornady Custom Ammunition 9x18mm (9mm Makarov) 95 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 25"

It shoots well out of my Mak, which buy the way has never failed to go bang at the appropriate time, no matter what brand of ammo.

Mine is just like Pogo's but with updated grips.
jaegersapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegersapper
I bought some of this from Midway

"Hornady Custom Ammunition 9x18mm (9mm Makarov) 95 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 25"

It shoots well out of my Mak, which buy the way has never failed to go bang at the appropriate time, no matter what brand of ammo.

Mine is just like Pogo's but with updated grips.
I got both sets of grips for mine. Mine came with the black grips with a slight thumb rest, and the original red grips with a star. I like the looks of the original commie grip, so that's what I keep on mine.

I'll try to find a box of that Hornaday XTP Hollowpoint then. Thanks