Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 04-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

Default STAR PD 45

So I picked one of these up today for $200.

It needs a little cleaning as it has spots of rusts.

I took it mostly apart, but the pin through the trigger just wont come out.

I figured Ill take it back to the shop in a couple days and see if the owner can get it out...I want to clean the trigger up.

Anyone have experience with these pistols? I figured for $200 it should be fair.
Any recommendations?

It was the shop owner' father in laws pistol, so he took it in on trade.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Rew

I have heard that they were very good. But the frame is aluminum, I believe, and tend to take a beating with full power loads. They are suppose to be an accurate little pistol.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
hawksnest

The Star PD is a great .45. You got one for a very good price.
hawksnest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

Today I had the trigger pin removed. Followed that with sanding the trigger smooth and free from rust, same with the hammer, then I cold blued them.

I had a couple dings on the frame from my hammering, so I sanded them smooth and alumablacked the spots....I may have it tefloned or anodized depending on cost so it looks more uniform and overall, just better.

Came home and wanted to clean the rust spots off. After some effort, I noticed some LIME AWAY. Figured it would take the rust off while I cleaned the other parts....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
If you didnt know, it takes the rust off very well...and the blueing!!!

So I went and got a can of brake cleaner and cold blue.

After much rubbing with swabs, I took a baggie and poured the blue in it, then dunked the parts for a final coating. Looked great, but the deep black did wipe off to a nice bluing on some parts, and the slide still looking a little rougher.

So I reassembled, OILING like crazy along the way as rust was pretty much everywhere again

Then I oiled the grips...1 darker than the other...no, that wont work.
Stripped the grips, down to the basement, and 1 coat of red mahogany stain...left to dry till tomorrow then a shot of poly.

Compared to before it looks better. Hopefully with a couple days down and more oiling, I wont get any more surface rust and I know the grips will look amazing.

Now all i need to figure out is:
1)should I modify the rear tang so my hand gets a little better grip?
2)Frame...anodize or teflon ($? or $20)?
3)Top...leave it, good blueing, or teflon?
4)Keep or sell?

Its a cool little 45, but I still need it bead blasted to get rid of the pitting. Then some kind of finish maybe.

Or Ill leave it as is, shoot it, and sell it later.

Just figured Id post what I did in case someone learns from my mistakes.

Maybe I can get some pics up in a few days too.
nutinauniversalshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Sounds like the previous owner(s) used it just as it was designed to be used, carried concealed.

They were fairly hard to get when new and the few people I knew that had them trusted them implicitly. Did have to stay on them for rust and other results of regular concealed wear though.

By the time I realized just what an excellent piece they were it was impossible to find one else I'd have owned one.

Identical copy today in stainless would be a big seller once the word got out.

Personally I refinish enough to protect, change the tang if really necessary and carry it.

JMHO. YMMV

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

I mostly just like the way it looks. But I picked it up thinking, "I need a 45 and this is cheap. Plus I can do whatever I want with it without worrying about hurting the value."

It is unlikely that I will carry it. I like my Sig 250 so much or if I want something smaller, I carry my makarov.

Big reason I wanted to refinish it any at all was that I hate a rusty/pitted firearm, and I generally want them to look purty! unless battlefield look.

I dont think it was carried much either. From what i could tell before accidentally stripping it, it was bought, shot a box or two, and sat in a drawer or somewhere. A couple small rust spots popped up and one bad spot, but the rest was nearly perfect. The frame would have been flawless if I hadnt hit it with the hammer...OH WELL SHIT HAPPENS.

It seems I like these projects more as something to do than to keep, but we'll see once I shoot it.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #7
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

Well, I shot it earlier. Put 50 rounds of Wolf through it. Not a single problem.

It might be a little better with a stronger recoil spring, but it was nearly sighted in correctly too. Little left and down, but close enough to shoot a can and pastry cup at about 10-15 ft. Even shot a nickel.

I like it...maybe it will be religated to truck gun or something, but I give it a thumbs up for those first 50 at least.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

The cold blue doesnt look that great, but I think this might be stuck between the seats in my truck so it doesnt matter that much.

PS: Cold bluing=stinky gun everytime i pick it up I get a nose full.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
DorGunR

Either you've got really big hands or that's a small pistol.
DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

Its a 6 shot 45. Fairly small, but my hands are probably a little big too. About half my pinkie hangs off the grip.

Pistol: ~ 5" height X 7.25" long X 1.125" wide
Hand: ~ 4.75" wide X 8" long X maybe 2" thick not counting the thumb.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
hawksnest

Nut: I have a pachmayr gip on my Star PD and it is one nice, concealable .45! The grip makes it much easier to hold and control.
hawksnest is online now   Reply With Quote