Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 03-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

Default Mosin Addiction....anyone else?

So today I let a nice piece go for MUCH less than I should have. Why? Because at the gun show I had spend $110 of the $210 cash I had on a Hungarian M44, and there was a matching and MINTY Russian 1946 M44 walking around (that I knew I could have for $150).

I did restrain long enough that the Springfield M6 Scout 22/410 made one full loop around the show....starting at $700 and dropping to $600 with make me an offer always added on the end. *I thought it was a neat gun but didn't really enjoy having it so I was going to let it go at some point.* Well, 2/3 the way through, someone I knew (not a real friend, but one of those people who deal with you and vice versa because you have known each other a long while)...anyway, he offered $450 cash. I returned and accepted $420 cash plus 2 boxes of Fiocchi 9X18 (I turned $60 or more off the gun, but still not the $700 they seems to go for these days).....

Then instantly, looked for the mosin guy. Having tried $125, I asked his bottom (he started at $200) and was told absolute bottom of $150. My reply of $140 was instantly accepted

So now my collection has increased another 10%. A Beautiful (except the stock which was broken and repaired) 46 Izzy, and mostly if not all Hungarian M44 of not as pretty condition came home to their sisters (the 20 sisters welcomed them to their new life of sitting in the closet and cried about not being shot or cleaned enough).

Being that the sale left me with some cash, a Romy AK kit minus barrel, barrel pin, and rsb pin also had to come home with 3 M44 cleaning rods. And because the Hungarian was more than just a gun for the deal, 2 boxes of overpriced Dunham's surplus 54r ammo, and a crappy gun case are also sitting here for a SHORT term.

So anyone else so addicted to mosins that the let something of "value" go cheaper just to feed the habit?

I might go back tomorrow, but I am undecided as I am DAMN near broke.

Also, forgot to mention the other funny thing. I bought a Bryco 38 (380) for $27 as a "parts gun; non-firing"....from a gun shop. On the way home I took it slightly apart to see why the firing pin didnt stay back...thinking parts missing or something....anyway, the piece that holds it back and drops to release (sear?) was in backwards. At home the safety just needed the spring placed in properly too (BOTH EASY TO SEE AND FIX). Now I just need a mag and have a good idea of a couple for $5 ea. So as I do love lil junky pistols too....hell might even duracoat it :P

I guess it was a good day
Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
DirtySteve
Starship Legend Champion

Good deal. Polish M-44 and an "Ivan Reboogered" Russian 91/30 bent bolt are in my safe.
DirtySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Rew

Well I have two Mosin carbines one 44 and one 38. Would like to get a 91/30 and "Aim surplus" seems to have a few now. After reading your post, I got to thinking if I had anything I would trade for one. Nope, guess I haven't caught the fever yet. Might trade for a nice Mauser however.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Fj3fury
Non hyphenated American

I have an ex-dragoon 91/30 and a polish M-44.... I like both even though I don't get to shoot much anymore.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Couple of 91/30s and a M44.
One of the 91/30s was the best deal I ever got from Century. I ordered on of their $59 "fair" condition rifles expecting to get a real beater that I could clean and fix up. They sent me a very nice hex receiver double date M.O. stamped rifle. It is counter bored, but I don't think that's a real problem.
Eightball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
TinmanIA
Demon of the Midwest
Disc Dash Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Railway Line Champion

Addiction light you could say. I had to get another. I sold mine to a friend years back and missed her with in weeks. $100.00 two weeks or so ago.
TinmanIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
nutinauniversalshell
Penguin Pass Champion

Today I was planning to get them out and take some pictures, but instead I painted the room in our basement (new house and we gutted the half of the basement that was finished due to mold....anyway another coat of paint then the carpet goes in, then trim, drop ceiling, and doors for in from of the washer and dryer....sounds like alot, but its so close to finished compared to when we started).

Anyway, Love the mosins fellers and hopefully I can get some good pics up soon (maybe even a good reference as I have many OALLS).
nutinauniversalshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
Rick in NY
Resident Nuisance

I must be an oddball... I don't own a Mosin of any variety. Shot a couple, just not sure what I'd ever do with one as-issued.

But if I find a decent one with a crap bore, I could see me making it into a 45-70.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Rew

Well that might not be a bad idea. But how ya going to get the Mag to work?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Rick in NY
Resident Nuisance

Something like this...

At 4:00 he starts the mag mods, I'd then go one step further and weld some new side-plates on the outsides and relieve the stock to clear.
Rick in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
RetVet
Statistical Error

I've got about all the flavors a Mosin comes in except a Chicom variety. Don't have one of those yet. Some of my Mosin were ufixems had for about $20 each. All shooters.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Sanders

I never got bit by the Mosin bug.

I'll probably get it when they get up over $400 in price, with my luck.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Rew

Talking Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in NY View Post
I must be an oddball... I don't own a Mosin of any variety. Shot a couple, just not sure what I'd ever do with one as-issued.

But if I find a decent one with a crap bore, I could see me making it into a 45-70.
That is something else. I don't have the tools and could more than than likely buy a 45-70 cheaper than building that. I was really serious about getting one of my Mauser's rebarelled to .243, it's cost less to buy one!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
Rick in NY
Resident Nuisance

Well Rew, here's my take on that.

Mosin with a bad barrel - should be $50-60 tops.
New 45 cal barrel blank - $200
Fit the barrel, chamber, and open the bolt face - under $200 as quoted from my buddy the smith.

That would leave me with a 45-70 single shot. Modding the magazine I can do in the garage, so other than parts, the only thing I'd have to pay for is the bolt face and barrel fit / chamber.

So, do-able, and not much more than buying a Handi-Rifle.
Rick in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
RetVet
Statistical Error

The Mosin action can be a bitch to open after firing a 7.62x54 round. Would it not be worse with a 45-70?
RetVet is online now   Reply With Quote