Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Default I think I'm going to get my canoe out next week some day...

...and go fishing. I'm going to try my hand at snagging some bluegill at a local reservoir with my flyrod.

Drunkrussian's question about flyrods yesterday got me thinking about fly fishing.

My canoe is a 17' Michicraft. Really a nice solid canoe. It's just been sitting behind my shop and hasn't been in the water for a few years.

The burned place is weeds that I burned off in the fence row behind my place yesterday afternoon. The farmer that owns the field hasn't been mowing it, so I cleaned it off and burned it before it would grow up to become a fire hazard.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Poor Canoe, having to just lay there in the sun, all this time.
Yep, it definately needs some attention and recreation.

Have a good time, canoe, and you too pogo! :
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

I want a motor ,I'm tired of going up that creek without a paddle !!! LMAO
Have a great time Chief and don't over do it !!
THAT IS BLOOD

Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
partssmans wife
DDB Prankster

Pogo you have more fun in a week than i do in a year

But a canoe scares me, i never fancied something that can turn over and me be stuck in it.
partssmans wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by partssmans wife
Pogo you have more fun in a week than i do in a year

But a canoe scares me, i never fancied something that can turn over and me be stuck in it.
Well heck, try kayaking then.

Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
partssmans wife
DDB Prankster

Thanks Pogo, but i like a little bit more room than that.
partssmans wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Hope you have fun. Canoes are fun, but besides the few nice days we had a month ago it has been too chilly here to go again
scheistermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheistermeister
Hope you have fun. Canoes are fun, but besides the few nice days we had a month ago it has been too chilly here to go again
Darn, it's too cool in your area? It's mostly been up in the 80s or higher the last week or so here.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
drunkrussian

I just got mine out today. Gotta clean it up, and refinish some of the wood pieces. Plus i'm ready to order the outriggers, and mount for my trolling motor.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less " - Robert E. Lee
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
WetKnife
February 16 1966- October 23 2008 - US Navy veteran

I enjoyed one man kayaking when I was in Huntington Beach , California some years ago . 2 man sucks because if you don't work together then expect to get wet alot .

When I went fishing with the Fire Department last year I saw alot of kayakers taking advantage of Long Isands slips and rivers . Looked like alot of fun .
WetKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
Darn, it's too cool in your area? It's mostly been up in the 80s or higher the last week or so here.
Yeah it hasn't been that hot here. I think last week we had one day in the 80s. Been really cold in the mornings. Woke up today and I thought someone cranked the A/C down without telling me, turns out the windows were just open.
scheistermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #12
10 Bears

I think I should take the old plywood canoe down to the river and set it free.
Paint the name "Free Willy" on the side first.

A few tacks and some silicone caulking and it should float for days.

Pitty the poor guy that rescues it.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #13
75_stingray
388ci Bored & Stroked SB
Target Champion

Pogo, that wooden yak you built has gotta be worth a couple, few grand. I never tired of seeing that picture posted!

There will always be a large group of people that will be preyed upon, consumed by predators just like in a school of fish.
Some fish don't venture out into the deep water, others do so only when they've developed big teeth, but most just swim along looking at how blue the water is.
(GN Member)
75_stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
10 Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75_stingray
Pogo, that wooden yak you built has gotta be worth a couple, few grand. I never tired of seeing that picture posted!
It truely is a piece of art.
Should be in an exhibit.

My cedar strip canoe didn't look half that good.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75_stingray
Thanks for the compliment. I don't take it out that often. I've taken it out in the Atlantic a couple of times. Once out of Biscayne Bay down near Aviator's home, and once in Newfoundland. And I've put it out in Lake Superior, and Lake Michigan, and on a couple of big reservoirs in Indiana. But, I won't take it out in creeks or rivers, although it would handle them OK. I just don't want to damage it. I want to keep it, and pass it on to my son. I hope he respects it and realizes how many man hours I had in building it.

I built it in two parts - after I built the forms. Then I had to join the upper half to the lower half after a lot of fitting. Then I fiberglassed it inside and outside. I triple reinforced the fiberglass in the cockpit area both inside and outside. And double fiberglassed the lower half the entire length.

The kayak is made out of cedar and cyprus that I cut into strips. The coming around the cockpit is made out of rock maple that I cut into fine strips and steam bent and laminated before fiberglassing the entire area.