Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
ConTender Foot
Battleship Champion, Navy Battles Champion

Default CMP Carbines

I was looking at the current crop of carbines on their website and can't figure out if they are worth the money. I'm looking for a shooter carbine that looks decent to add to the collection. Anyone own or have experience with the ones they are currently selling? I went and picked up my Garand last night and I have a dealer holding a really nice P17 for me until I get time to go get it. If I can pick up a nice carbine, all I'll need to complete the set is an M1941 Johnson.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Pretorius

Sorry, I can't give you any help. But, the CMP carbines sure knocked a hole in the going prices. I'm glad to see more of them on the market. I had a pristine Winny but sold it and kept my Inland. Its missing some finish and has an import stamp but its the one I use.
Pretorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
ConTender Foot

It looks like I'm going to have to be the one to order one and give a full report. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.
ConTender Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

When you get the M1941 Johnson, we will expect a report on that one too.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
ConTender Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
When you get the M1941 Johnson, we will expect a report on that one too.

That may be a while. The guy that receives my out of state guns for me has one. Interesting piece for sure. He has a walk-in gun vault with about 200 military rifles and handguns in it. Some of the best examples I've ever seen of most of the stuff including about a half dozen different variations of the P08's. He has a BAR as well. I immediately had a new found respect for the vets that carried these things as soon as I picked it up.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConTender Foot View Post
That may be a while. The guy that receives my out of state guns for me has one. Interesting piece for sure. He has a walk-in gun vault with about 200 military rifles and handguns in it. Some of the best examples I've ever seen of most of the stuff including about a half dozen different variations of the P08's. He has a BAR as well. I immediately had a new found respect for the vets that carried these things as soon as I picked it up.
You mean that 19 pounds (?) impressed you, a bit?
They definately needed more than a 20 round mag too!
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
Gus

I have an IBM M1 carbine I've had for many years, my uncle bought it through the NRA I believe back in the 50's. It never suited my uncle and as a kid I loved the little rifle, could see like a hawk and was steady. He asked one day, you like that little rifle, I said sure do, he said it's your.

Still like the little rascal an carry it often on the side by side UTV while in the desert.

Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
ConTender Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
I have an IBM M1 carbine I've had for many years, my uncle bought it through the NRA I believe back in the 50's. It never suited my uncle and as a kid I loved the little rifle, could see like a hawk and was steady. He asked one day, you like that little rifle, I said sure do, he said it's your.

Still like the little rascal an carry it often on the side by side UTV while in the desert.

I think every boy that ever had the opportunity to shoot one fell in love with the little carbines. Small, light, low recoil, and it isn't a .22 were the things I liked about my Dad's when he first let me shoot it.

That's a nice looking firearm, Gus.

I thought about just buying one of the Auto Ordinance units but have not heard anything good about them.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
baboon
slug

Got me a keeper with a round bolt! One of my buddies was a big time collector for years here in Houston. I gave him $650.00 @ the time, worth a bit more now. That boy knows carbines to the point that at gun shows if he picked up a carbine & set it back down two other dealer would be eye balling once it hit the table.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConTender Foot View Post
I think every boy that ever had the opportunity to shoot one fell in love with the little carbines. Small, light, low recoil, and it isn't a .22 were the things I liked about my Dad's when he first let me shoot it.

That's a nice looking firearm, Gus.

I thought about just buying one of the Auto Ordinance units but have not heard anything good about them.
Auto Ordinance are not the same as the government issue, IMO not near as well built (sights are different). Not much that can go wrong with USGI carbines, the barrels are chrome lined, I replaced the barrel on this one with a Vietnam era USGI issue that is not chrome lined but shoots very good, more accurate then many folks believe they can shoot, I believe they are good out too 200 yards.

That stock set on the carbine is USGI surplus, it was beat to hell ($15.00 investment) but I smoothed it out stained an finished it. I still have the original stock set that's in excellent condition.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
GARANDNUT
Pontificator Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Auto Ordinance are not the same as the government issue, IMO not near as well built (sights are different). Not much that can go wrong with USGI carbines, the barrels are chrome lined, I replaced the barrel on this one with a Vietnam era USGI issue that is not chrome lined but shoots very good, more accurate then many folks believe they can shoot, I believe they are good out too 200 yards.

That stock set on the carbine is USGI surplus, it was beat to hell ($15.00 investment) but I smoothed it out stained an finished it. I still have the original stock set that's in excellent condition.
Do you know anything about the IMI carbines that were on the market for a while?
GARANDNUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #12
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARANDNUT View Post
Do you know anything about the IMI carbines that were on the market for a while?
Here's all I'll say and I'll probably get flake for it, any USGI carbine from the list below could be made into a good M1 carbine if it wasn't already. Theirs not much that can go wrong with them an parts are plentiful including stock sets. Matched manufactures parts are rare as during the war manufactures weren't assembling for collectors that put importance on such things.

(it wasn't unheard of for one manufacture to have barrels for example from another manufacture) all they cared about was getting a quality rifle built.

The chances of a M1 carbine going through an ordinance inspection and rebuild an coming out with the same parts it came in with is slim. Last time I was at a gun show an looked at M1 carbines you could pick up a nice USGI for between $400.00 and $750.00 depending on who manufactured the carbine, that price difference is driven by collectors as quality wise they are built to the same US specifications, it's all about bragging rights. JMHO

# Inland Division, General Motors (production: 2,632,097), sole producer of the M1A1 Carbine. Receiver marked "INLAND DIV."

# Winchester Repeating Arms (production: 828,059) Receiver marked "WINCHESTER"[35]

# Irwin-Pedersen (operated by Saginaw Steering Gear and production included with Saginaw total)

# Saginaw Steering Gear Division General Motors (production: 517,213 ) Receivers marked "SAGINAW S.G." (370,490) and "IRWIN-PEDERSEN" (146,723 )

# Underwood Elliot Fisher (production: 545,616) Receiver marked "UNDERWOOD"

# National Postal Meter (production: 413,017) Receiver marked "NATIONAL POSTAL METER"

# Quality Hardware Manufacturing Corp. (production: 359,666) Receiver marked "QUALITY H.M.C."

# International Business Machines (production: 346,500) Receiver marked "I.B.M. CORP."
# Standard Products (production: 247,100) Receiver marked "STD. PRO."

# Rock-Ola Manufacturing Corporation (production: 228,500) Receiver Marked "ROCK-OLA" [36]
Old 08-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
RetVet
Statistical Error

I've picked up several M1 carbines from the CMP. All except one were rack grade and all looked like keepers in my book. Only suggestion I have is to get a replacement spring set.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

There is nothing more fun to shoot than the M1 Carbine, imo. I still have the Inland GI I picked up in 1972 when I was 17. I've shot countless thousands of rounds through it over the years & have yet to replace a single part of it, even the original 15-rd mag that came with it is still running strong.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
ConTender Foot

Got a notification from the CMP that they were sold out.