Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #16
Sanders

I got the Model 29 with a 4" bbl., pinned and recessed. The price I paid had me looking over my shoulder as I left the shop, lest they come running after me.

I found out later that the previous owner, a fairly well-known collector in the area, had a professional trigger job done on it, and would take it out of his safe and wipe it down with a silicone cloth, once a week. He sure didn't shoot it very much.

I don't know if you've priced .44 mag ammo, lately. Last time I looked, it was around $60/50 for jacketed semi-wad cutters. So, I haven't purchased factory loads in years. Plus, factory ammo is loaded to the high-end.

I load a 240 gr. cast SWC round with Unique using a recipe that was worked up by John Taffin. You can shoot this all day and still be able to hold a fork at dinner time. If you add just 1/2 grain to the recipe, it becomes painful.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #17
JD Miller
Fake Member

Quote:
I load a 240 gr. cast SWC round with Unique using a recipe that was worked up by John Taffin
Same here , 250 gr Kieth cast and *** gr unique

Last edited by Pogo; 12-28-2016 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Don't post powder charge.
JD Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #18
4thIDvet
slug

Well to bad I did not know yah 20 + years ago . Hell I needed money and the S&W stainless mod. 29 with 2X nice scope had to go. $400 with the box. Now I look back on guns I sold and cry no not really cry but I feel like crying.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #19
CDawg
slug

I haven't shot the S&W .44, but have owned Ruger Redhawk and Dan Wesson .44's for a long time. The Ruger was the first pistol I owned. I purchased it in '81, thinking that if I could shoot it well, I could probably shoot any pistol well. I've always shot the 240gr bullets. It has the 7 1/4" barrel which tames the recoil rather well, but it's definitely still there. The Dan Wesson was a gift from my Uncle and includes interchangeable barrels in 6" and 8". I have one compensated and one uncompensated version of each length of barrel. The barrel sleeves both have the full under lug. The compensated barrels tame the recoil very effectively and are a real pleasure to shoot. I've always liked Smith revolvers and if I can find a good sample of their .44, I'll gladly add it to the collection. I have added a 20' Rossi .44 to the stable. It's nice to have a rifle and sidearm in the same caliber. BTW, the Rossi rifle is sweet and I've added a Kick Eaze (I think that's the name) pussy pad to it. It looks good (old west style) and does a great job at taming felt recoil. With the model '92 stock, that curved buttplate can definitely become punishing after a while without it. Besides, my wife doesn't like weapons with all the "thingies" on them, so it's revolvers, lever guns and pump shotguns for her, which is cool, because she's more than proficient with all of them. .44 magnum is a hell of a round and a pleasure to reload for.

A Chief Petty Officer shall not drink. However, if he should drink he shall not get drunk. If he should get drunk, he shall not stagger. And if he should stagger, he shall not fall. And if he should fall, he will fall in such a manner as to cover up his rank so that passersby will think he is an officer.
CDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #20
Sanders

To re-iterate what I was trying to say above --

To truly enjoy the .44 Magnum, you need to load your own. You don't even need to load .44 Specials. If you want a reduced load, you make a reduced load.

200 gr. Hornady XTP JHP bullets are another good option that I've tried.

A pair of Hogue grips will tame the recoil quite a bit. They just don't look as nice as a set of S&W rosewood grips.

Same one, dressed up.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #21
Sanders

I love the .44's

A pair of Rugers --

Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #22
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
To re-iterate what I was trying to say above --

To truly enjoy the .44 Magnum, you need to load your own. You don't even need to load .44 Specials. If you want a reduced load, you make a reduced load.

200 gr. Hornady XTP JHP bullets are another good option that I've tried.

A pair of Hogue grips will tame the recoil quite a bit. They just don't look as nice as a set of S&W rosewood grips.

Same one, dressed up.

Quote:
I love the .44's

A pair of Rugers --

Nice looking pieces.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #23
dinkydow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
I still have an unopened case of 185 gr. .44 mags.
I bought two cases, mostly for the brass.
Never shot out of the second case because I didn't need the brass.

Yes, that lighter bullet makes a lot of difference.
The 240 gr. ones can be a real 'hand hurter' if you're not careful.

I think that's one of the reasons I had to have the carpel tunnel operations.

I am convinced that shooting the full house loads in the .44 magnum and a .50 cal Dessert Eagle have given me arthritis in my left shoulder. Friends have told me it was from me fighting the recoil, with both arms like I was combat shooting a 1911A1 or a 9mm auto. I now believe them.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #24
dinkydow

Question

Quote:
I got the Model 29 with a 4" bbl., pinned and recessed. The price I paid had me looking over my shoulder as I left the shop, lest they come running after me.

I found out later that the previous owner, a fairly well-known collector in the area, had a professional trigger job done on it, and would take it out of his safe and wipe it down with a silicone cloth, once a week. He sure didn't shoot it very much.

I don't know if you've priced .44 mag ammo, lately. Last time I looked, it was around $60/50 for jacketed semi-wad cutters. So, I haven't purchased factory loads in years. Plus, factory ammo is loaded to the high-end.

I load a 240 gr. cast SWC round with Unique using a recipe that was worked up by John Taffin. You can shoot this all day and still be able to hold a fork at dinner time. If you add just 1/2 grain to the recipe, it becomes painful.
No lead fouling problems?
Old 12-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #25
dinkydow

Looks like if I snag a .44 hand cannon I need to invest in some RCBS dies and another powder and pistol primers. I have never reloaded for a pistol before... only 30-06 and 308 match and practice ammo for 200-300-600 yard, three position, service rifle competition and the National Match courses of fire.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #26
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
No lead fouling problems?
Not a bit.

You can always run a cylinder full of jacketed through to help clean it out.

Or, you could go with powdercoated bullets like these:

Old 12-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #27
Sanders

Quote:
Looks like if I snag a .44 hand cannon I need to invest in some RCBS dies and another powder and pistol primers. I have never reloaded for a pistol before... only 30-06 and 308 match and practice ammo for 200-300-600 yard, three position, service rifle competition and the National Match courses of fire.
Straight walled pistol cases are sooooo much easier to load than rifle. Get some carbide dies and you don't have to worry about lubing the cases. A jug of Unique will work in pretty much any pistol round you want to shoot.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #28
dinkydow

All I use is carbide dies. I tried not lubing the bottlenecked .308 and 30-06 cases and it did not work well for me. I have been using that waxy spray lube. A whole lot less messy than using STP or those other sticky lubes.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #29
buzgun
slug

gun

It will be alot easier for you as a dealer to snag a cherry model 29 than it was for me.......i just patiently watched the local backpage for sale forum until i got lucky one day and saw the older model 29 i wanted.

i dont like the newer ones.....they dont have the same "look" to them.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #30
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Quote:
I had a Model 29-2 44 with a 6" bbl, mate had the 629 classic hunter. I liked 44 mag back when we could have them. Shot a LOT of lead at the range, a fair bit of jacketed in the bush. I didn't drive the lead real hard so there was no need for gas checks & I had now fouling problems.

As said, Ruger redhawk is a stronger framed weapon but if you are shooting reloads I reckon the mod 29 is a gift from God.

In this modern age I have a Model 28 357, still the same big "N" frame the 44 is built on but only in 357. I like it but no where near as much.

Get yourself a Dillon progressive if you don't already have one. Crank out mucho rounds real quick. Pistol ammo is heaps easier to load with modern carbide dies.
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote