Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-32 View Post
Just salt? I would have guessed there was vinegar in kraut. I personally don't care for the stuff...Maybe homemade is better. I always order the red cabbage in lieu of kraut when we eat at our favorite German restaurant.

http://www.karlratzsch.com/
Red cabbage rocks! Use to eat german for when I was a yankee seen as there were more square·heads around. Every time I checked out a german restaurant in Houston it's sucked. Hill Country a better place for it.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
Sanders

First batch of kraut is done.

It passed the taste test with flying colors. I survived the night without the shits or even more farting than usual, so I reckon it is good.

Wife and I canned 9 quarts last night, but I lost one when I put the raw-packed jar into boiling water. Yeah, dumb - the bottom broke right off it.

Picked a couple more cabbages this morning and got them turning into kraut, now. I figure another 6 weeks and I'll be canning again.

Changes I made to the second batch: Added 4 qts of brine water to the cabbage. Last batch fermented only in its own water. I wanted a little extra on top this time around.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #18
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
First batch of kraut is done.

It passed the taste test with flying colors. I survived the night without the shits or even more farting than usual, so I reckon it is good.

Wife and I canned 9 quarts last night, but I lost one when I put the raw-packed jar into boiling water. Yeah, dumb - the bottom broke right off it.

Picked a couple more cabbages this morning and got them turning into kraut, now. I figure another 6 weeks and I'll be canning again.

Changes I made to the second batch: Added 4 qts of brine water to the cabbage. Last batch fermented only in its own water. I wanted a little extra on top this time around.
Start with your water at or just below 140 degrees. We discovered that the hard way, too.

Good your batch came out good.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
FUBAR

Put the shredded cabbage in a quart jar, add a heaping tablespoon of canning salt, then fill it up with boiling water and put a lid on it, not too tight or it will bulge the lids.
Set the jars in a dark place and you have kraut in about a month. Then tighten the lids or process the cans to seal them and the kraut will keep longer.
So easy a cave man could do it.
FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #20
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
Put the shredded cabbage in a quart jar, add a heaping tablespoon of canning salt, then fill it up with boiling water and put a lid on it, not too tight or it will bulge the lids.
Set the jars in a dark place and you have kraut in about a month. Then tighten the lids or process the cans to seal them and the kraut will keep longer.
So easy a cave man could do it.
I did that, but put the jar in the back of the fridge. All I got was shredded, salty cabbage.

It's a learning process for me, I reckon.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #21
FUBAR

Don't chill the kraut while its working. Leave it at room temp.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
pfalz2

That is good to hear Sanders. The BEST thing to make kraut in is a straight side earthenware pot that has a ceramic outside. Family used of a few of the about the size of a five gallon bucket.

A tip for the times you might be forced to us store bought kraut, use the sour kraut that is in the refrigerated section usually in a plastic bag, NOT the canned. A few days before serving mix half kraut and half fresh cabbage,place in the refrigerator . The problem with store bought is to much vinegar, the use more to help shelve life.
pfalz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
Gobears1997

I picked up a cheap five gallon glass jar for about $20. That is what I use for kraut. My only suggestion is that you use reeeeeeeally clean hands or latex gloves if you are stirring the cabbage with your hands. Bacteria is a bitch. Also be wary of any small insects flying around your kitchen. I had a fruit fly or something find it's way in to a batch one time and managed to lay eggs. Not pleasant.
Gobears1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
TBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Lots of work, making sauerkraut.
Remember the German neighbors, when I was a kid.
They made it in a wooden barrel.
Someone using a big log thing, to smash it down, in the barrel.
Next layer, same process.

Watched that part, anyway, figured I better leave.
They might want me to help chop cabbage heads with those big knives.

If you like the end product, the labor will be worth it.
I remember those days.
My dad had a dumptruck load of cabbage every year and we made two pickle barrels of kraut. One with carraway seed, one without.

Couple neighbors would come over and shred the cabbage with the kraut cutters, I'd throw it in the barrels, sprinkle in a handful of salt, and punch it down with a homemade kraut stomper...repeat til it was full.

Put a garbage bag on the top, and filled it with water for weight. I'd sneak out there every morning before school to snitch some out...mmmm.

Canning time would come and back to the garage we'd go..those were some long days, even with 2 stoves.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
Sanders

Mmmmmmm...mmmmmm! Still good! I just had some for lunch with hot dogs.

Put up the second batch a few weeks ago and just finished a jar to see how it tasted. It tastes all right, but I probably let it go too long before we canned it.

Although, the flavor hasn't suffered - just had to live with the stench in the pantry through Christmas and New Years.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #26
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Mmmmmmm...mmmmmm! Still good! I just had some for lunch with hot dogs.

Put up the second batch a few weeks ago and just finished a jar to see how it tasted. It tastes all right, but I probably let it go too long before we canned it.

Although, the flavor hasn't suffered - just had to live with the stench in the pantry through Christmas and New Years.
A little trial and error is a good thing, you know what works and what doesn't. As long as the taste was good and the consistency was there, then you did alright.

I'm thinking we might try to put some up this year, maybe. With the rather large German community around here, I'm sure we'll not be lacking advice.

Brian
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #27
JD Miller
Fake Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Lots of work, making sauerkraut.
Remember the German neighbors, when I was a kid.
They made it in a wooden barrel.
Someone using a big log thing, to smash it down, in the barrel.
Next layer, same process.

Watched that part, anyway, figured I better leave.
They might want me to help chop cabbage heads with those big knives.

If you like the end product, the labor will be worth it.
Ha ha,, That reminds me of the German neighbors I had from Bavaria..They raised hogs, had lots of fruit trees, lots of knifes, lots of big 50 gal plastic drums with fruit fermenting in them for alcohol.
They had pig slaughtering parties and invited all the neighbors
Oh, they made sauerkraut too