Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Camping, Backpacking, Outdoor Survival Skills
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
Sanders

Default Yeti coolers and their knock-offs

Yeti, those high-priced roto-molded coolers have quite a reputation. Problem for them is that they didn't patent their design, so there are quite a few knockoffs.

One of them is RTIC. They are having a sale on their 65 qt. coolers, and claim they will hold ice for 10 days. I figured I would give it a try. At $140 vs. the $400 for a Yeti, why not?

Walmart is even in on the game with their in house Ozark brand, but I don't want to give them any of my money, even though they have great reviews from people on some of the overlanding forums.

The RTIC cooler -- https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coo...ed/RTIC-65-Tan

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
JD Miller
Fake Member

I have a pretty old Colman ice chest. The screwed on plastic hinges broke so I just screwed on another piece of plastic cut out of a plastic jug, had to replace them a couple times. Chest is still in good condition.

I also have a Old metal Ice chest but dont use it much because they just slide around in the bed of my truck

Dont think Ill ever buy a $400 ice chest made of plastic
Old 01-29-2017, 12:04 AM   #3
Sanders

My old coolers don't keep ice for a day. One is an old Igloo, and the other is a Coleman. I think what happens is that even though the outside of them look ok, the foam insulation deteriorates over time to the point where all I have are a couple plastic boxes. They'll due for storage boxes, now, though.

For my trip to Colorado last September, I bought a new 100 qt. Coleman. It kept ice for the week I was out there, but a lot did melt. I had to drain it a couple times. Plus, the handles pulled off when it was filled up with ice, drinks, and food and I lifted it up into my truck.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:35 AM   #4
baboon
slug

If you want a Yeti better get it before Trump slaps tariffs on them!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
4thIDvet
slug

Keep an eye on Amazon the prices will come down.. Free shipping also..

https://www.amazon.com/RTIC-Cooler-6...ds=rtic+cooler

I wonder what they use for insulation?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

Talking Remember Yeti mugs can save your life their bullet proof.

ARE YETI RAMBLER MUGS BULLETPROOF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD0lsfR-nz8
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #7
Konstantin

I'm a cheap bastard so I bought the Rtic brand. I have the 65 quart cooler, an insulated water bottle, and a half a dozen or so of the tumblers. I've got a buddy that has the Yeti brand of cooler and it is pretty much the same. Both hold ice a long time. Rtic has some awesome sales pretty often on their website.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I bought a large Igloo marine cooler years ago because I camp out in the Bush. And I didn't want to have to drive into a town many wiles away to get more ice. We could go for a week when it was filled with ice and product.

Important things to remember. When removing something from the cooler don't leave it open any more than necessary. Keep it in the shade. What melts ice faster than anything else is throwing a bunch of warm beer or soda.

I'm not interested in brand names I look for the thickness of the insulated walls and the quality of the hinges and latches.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
hangfire
Home on the range

Spinz

The ice lasts way longer than the beer around here.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
Sanders

I put 4 10 lb. bags of ice in my Rtic 65 qt cooler on the evening of October 20. The cooler sat in the back of my truck with the ice in it until yesterday, November 1st. I had opened the plug to drain it, but then left it until then. I opened the cooler to take the bags out and put it in the garage and found there was still some ice cubes left. Not much, but some. That was 12 full days it kept ice. Pretty dang impressive.

When I brought my fish back from Florida, I packed it full of ice and had very little melt by the time I got home.