Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #106
JD Miller
Fake Member

I shoot 44 mag with Unique, lighter loads alot in my single actions.

Then I also shoot with 2400 powder a hair down from max full house loads. Its a stout load but it doesnt bother me.

But I also shoot mostly Rifles in 3006, 308, 6.5x55, 270, 9.3x62, and 9.3x57
Old 04-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #107
dinkydow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
Mister Dow, was the trigger rough to begin with? I have several S&Ws and several of those are 44s. However, I have no SS; all of mine are blued. None have needed any trigger work. A 'smith told me back in the '60s that the best trigger job for a Smith was 600 rounds of ammo. For my guns, he was right. On the other hand, every stinken Ruger I have either has had a trigger job, or needs one.
cerberus
No it was not rough... I am just a nazi when it comes to wanting a smooth trigger. Stoning the parts to look like small mirrors ...always seems to be a good move. I shot in match competition for a lot of years and it helps me to breathe easier...

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #108
Stalky

I load more with Trail Boss powder these days. Keep the Remington 185gr for special occasions
Don't forget a few speed loaders.
Stalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #109
4thIDvet
slug

Question

Without going through all the posts what have you decided on? I am thinking about picking up a .44 mag. Stepping into the woods here we have more black bears than squirrels now.
Last thing I want to do is hurt one of the poor guys. The younger ones run like all hell but the older ones have completely lost all fear of humans and just look at yah like "yah got a problem." No Mr. bear just passing through.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #110
dinkydow

I have several 100 rds through a S&W 629. Been firing 185gr, JHP rds. I like it just fine. First .44 magnum I have owned. Shot them before...just never had one. I have a number of wheelguns...just no .44.. until now.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #111
slug

And don't overlook the DE .44
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #112
dinkydow

One hawgleg in .44 magnum is all I need. This 629 does a fine job.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #113
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
One hawgleg in .44 magnum is all I need. This 629 does a fine job.
Hey Dinky you do know about the recall that S&W had on their 629 cylinders?
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #114
dinkydow

Mine is their newest model with all the improvements.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #115
Bull
Rabble Rouser

If you can, find a range that will rent you one. Why I say that is you may decide against buying after you feel the recoil. Never buy or rent a snub nose with less than 6 inches in bbl.
I love the 629 but you will need to disassemble and use 242 locktite on all screws as the gun shakes itself apart.
Dirty Harry sold hundreds of M29s back in the 70s/80s, most ended up at the pawn shop after the owner decided that the cannon was too much.
Rent a 8-3/8 bbl 29/629; fire 100 rounds at the range and then decide, otherwise; I would buy it from you for less than you paid
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 AM   #116
Doc

I shoot the Model 29 with 6 inch barrel. I have always followed Elmer Keith's advice and I shoot his 250 grain plain base hard cast lead bullet. I also put a heavy crimp on the bullet so as to assure proper ignition. I use standard CCI primers and 2400 powder. The case lasts a long time. After about 30-35 shots from one case the neck starts to crack and some have loose primer pockets. I don't bother with annealing the cases. I have shot many more than a thousand rounds through this revolver. I use .44 Special cases almost exclusively. My loads chronograph at 1,200 fps. I have killed elk, deer and antelope with this load all with one shot and at ranges under 100 yards.

The Model 29, S & W, .44 mag. is the best revolver ever made, in my opinion.

I have also killed elk, deer and antelope with my Model 27, S & W, .357 mag, again all under 100 yards.

While I'm talking about good handguns, the best semi-automatic ever made, in my opinion, is the Colt's Gold Cup, National Match, Series 70 1911-A1 in .45 ACP.

Pistol shooting is easy, just don't flinch. That a way, for you Southrons, the bullet goes exactly where it's pointed. My good friend, Sanders, knows.

Ad Clark, one of the world's great pistol shooters, won my professional NSL pistol match shooting a Model 29, S&W, .44 mag with full go loads.

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #117
dinkydow

I changed my method of "holding" and reacting to recoil just for and with this beast. I do not lock my elbows but keep them slightly bent and allow the howitzer to rise up in recoil. Now...instead of pounding arthuritius into my joints, I enjoy firing it.

When I shoot my 9mm, .357 magnum, .40 cal and .45ACP hoglegs...I lock my elbows and resist recoil so as to keep the sights centered on the target for fast follow up shots.

I shot a bud's .50 cal Dessert Eagle and it whipped my ass... I am convinced it caused my Right shoulder, elbow and wrist to age twenty years... BUT... I held it in a death grip with locked elbows. It's owner Joe P., and my buddy Eddy G., both told me I was fucking up. They both just love those big assed dinosaur killers, and fire them often.

Now...I know.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:42 AM   #118
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
I changed my method of "holding" and reacting to recoil just for and with this beast. I do not lock my elbows but keep them slightly bent and allow the howitzer to rise up in recoil. Now...instead of pounding arthuritius into my joints, I enjoy firing it.

When I shoot my 9mm, .357 magnum, .40 cal and .45ACP hoglegs...I lock my elbows and resist recoil so as to keep the sights centered on the target for fast follow up shots.

I shot a bud's .50 cal Dessert Eagle and it whipped my ass... I am convinced it caused my Right shoulder, elbow and wrist to age twenty years... BUT... I held it in a death grip with locked elbows. It's owner Joe P., and my buddy Eddy G., both told me I was fucking up. They both just love those big assed dinosaur killers, and fire them often.

Now...I know.

Sometimes the big autos don't cycle properly unless you lock your elbows.

My Automag is very prone to that, so was a mates 50 Desert Eagle before the ban.
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #119
Merc
Expendable

I have a S&W Model 29 , .44 Mag
In my opinion , the greatest wheel ever made.
Accept no substitute..

MERC

Know your enemy, know his sword -
Miyamoto Musashi
The Book of Five Rings

Blessed be the Lord , my strength,
which teacheth my hands to war,
and my fingers to fight.
My goodness, and my fortress;
my high tower, and my deliverer;
my shield, and he in whom I trust;
Merc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #120
Bull
Rabble Rouser

The 629 is great in 8-3/8, any shorter you might be wearing it as recoil is stiff. Remember to remove the side plate screws and put a drop of locktite 242 blue on the threads or you will be loosening the screws due to the vibrations and shock.
I put it in the tank of my toilet especially when traveling, the stainless is impervious to water, it would certainly surprise someone who thinks I’m defenseless when taking a dump.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote