Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 04-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #16
Rew

DR I agree with part of that little rant. However, introducing a new cartridge and revolver in this economy, IMHO, is silly at best. I'd need a new set of dies, mold's and a new manual. All for a cartridge that won't do anything that something I already own will do. I do like new calibers and I agree small caliber hi-speed works and well as big caliber low speed. Personally I like fairly big caliber hi-speed, which is why my night stand gun is a 10mm. However with the navy lady, if she doesn't care for a .45 she will hate a 10mm. .38/.357 revolver seems like a good idea.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

Well, at my age and stage in life, I needn't worry about the Ruger .327 Mag. I'll doubt I'll ever see one, much less own it. Worse, I've sort of had a falling out with Ruger Firearms in general some years back.

Nor would this gun ever be my choice as a home defense gun per say.

All that aside, I kinda admire it when someone comes out with a new cartridge for the gun crowd of the world to play with. You never know when some crazy thing will sprout wings and take off. Someone will think of a new bullet or a modification of the case and suddenly a new wildcat is born that shows promise.

I'm old enough to remember the birth of the 222. This poor little cartridge was almost laughed to death when it first came out, especially to claims it was a deer rifle. But after one year's hunting season across the land no one had much negative to say about it. And closely following was the 222 Mag and the 223. Heavens! How many .224 bullets have we all sent down range since then?

So, the smart money is on the 327 Mag fizzling and dying like hundreds of unloved cartridges before it. But the tinkerer in me would still love to play with one a bit. Ruger is building it in both their GP series and in the single action line.

SA model looks most fun with 5 1/2" bbl and really pretty substantial looking gun.

Sounds like no one here has such a rare critter and I've still not gotten any offers from anyone wanting to give me one.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Well, Desert Rat, if I remember to buy a lottery ticked, and if by chance I win that lottery...
Yep, I will send you one of those .327 handguns.
Yep, yep, I promise.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #19
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

You're a gentleman and a scholar Bears. That's by far the best offer I've had today.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #20
10 Bears

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
You're a gentleman and a scholar Bears. That's by far the best offer I've had today.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Thanatos
Grunt-o-saurus

For me? The 1911 is pretty much the Alpha and Omega in sidearms. And with a 60 second change in recoil springs? You can cover the power field pretty damn easily... all the way up to the .460 Rowland cartridge, which requires a barrel change. Now the .460 is one of those "odd ball" cartridges, but, you reload it with .45acp dies. Not only did it take me a whole decade to make the decision as to whether I REALLY wanted it, but when I bought the barrel, I also bought 1,000 new brass from Starline, and have it all loaded. Rew loves him his 10mm; from experience, I find that .460 EVER so much better. But Rew spent his money, and I spent mine... and neither of us are likely to switch.

For home defense, and not liking the 1911? Damn huge choice in .38 Special/.357 revolvers, and ammo can be had most places. .327? Uh.... yeah.

I see the 9mm in the same light as the .223; I have owned both, and never will again.

I have a Savage in .17HMR; when I bought it, I also bought 3,000 rounds of ammo. But then, when I bought a 10/22? I bought 10,000 rounds of ammo. Having a firearm and no ammo is where the obamanation would prefer to have us...

I see the .327 as an answer to a question that was never asked. And without ANY advantages to offset the difficulty in finding ammo. If an individual wants one for bragging rights and to be "chic"? Be my guest...
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #22
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

What MAKES the firearms field so interesting is all our individual tastes. I've never owned or even fired a .32 caliber anything that I recall. Which probably explains why I'd like to fiddle with one a bit before ringing down the curtain.

Like Thanatos, I've kinda lived my life in fear of running out of ammo. But I've taken a different approach to solving this worry. Almost every gun, rifle or pistol, that I took seriously into my home had to shoot cast bullets.

Then it became just a matter of keeping powder and primers in stock. I could make brass for most of my guns from one thing or another...and did so.

Ammo is for sure a concern these days. But if a guy bought up 500 cases for the .327 and had a 311316 mold with a stock of several ordinary pistol primers and any of several standard pistol powders, he could keep such a cartridge going for a LONG time. And the blunt nosed 311316 bullet will leave an exit wound you can stick your fist in. I used to shoot it in my M-1 carbine and it would almost cut a jackrabbit in half.

A lot of every gun is the bullet you bring to the fight.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #23
Thanatos
Grunt-o-saurus

Quote:
Like Thanatos, I've kinda lived my life in fear of running out of ammo..
Uh... I was buying 7.62x39 when it was $67 for a 1,000 round case. And I ain't about to count the dozens of cases still stashed away.

I have powder, I have primers, I have more brass than I will ever prep, and I have case after case of jacketed projectiles. The only round that I am NOT set for life would be the 500 S&W, and that ain't exactly a plinker, anyways...

Well... at least not for me.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:34 AM   #24
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

Don't matter how many you got, Thanatos. For guys like you and me the fear of running out is always there. I guess we got one of them phobia things.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #25
10 Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Well, Desert Rat, if I remember to buy a lottery ticked, and if by chance I win that lottery...
Yep, I will send you one of those .327 handguns.
Yep, yep, I promise.

Quote:
Sorry Desert Rat, somebody else won, it was only 200 and some million anyway.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #26
Desert Rat
Junior Woodchuck

Damn and blast. I was really counting on this to work for me but nothing else has this week. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #27
cz7

save your money get mil spec caliber 9mm 45 etc !
"It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -- Henry Ford ! when a nation turns on it's own and denies it's own founding culture ,this is a sign of the death pangs of a nation --- cz7
cz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #28
Rew

Spinz Well then

Quote:
Don't matter how many you got, Thanatos. For guys like you and me the fear of running out is always there. I guess we got one of them phobia things.
I seem to have the same phobia. When I put the .50 in front of my commander's hatch of my Bradley it raised a few eyebrows. They had given me 1000 rounds to go with it. I walked into the supply tent and raised hell, "I better get at least another 1000 rounds, you understand me!" It took a day but I got 1500 more rounds. There were 100 round .50 cans all over the top of my turret, in the rack and all over the rear deck. Considering the double basic load of 25mm, 7.62 and 5.56 plus the 11 troops on board and water and MRE's I was really hopping we didn't break a torsion bar on the way to the LD. No such thing as too much ammo.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
Thanatos
Grunt-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
No such thing as too much ammo.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #30
cdhknives
S. Texas Redneck

Well, the 327 is 'just' another in the current line of thinking: Smaller and faster, energy energy energy whoo! whoo! whoo!

There is SOME merit to the argument. With the influx of women into the shooters folds the same killing power can be had in a possibly more manageable package. Personally I find the hard push easier to handle than the fast slap of the fast and light calibers, but that's just me. Some people are definitely the opposite, and for them options like the 327, 5.7, etc. are reasonable compromises.

For the average gun owner, not a crank like us, one or two ammo purchases are all they will ever need. Maybe 200 rounds max for the life of the gun in their hands.

Hey, my bottom line is: At least someone in the gun world is still trying new things.