Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
DorGunR

This is my wife's S&W model 640 with pachmayr grips.
(Taurus M44 in .44 mag on top)

DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #17
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders
Too big?

Ummm, 48 ounces ... EMPTY

Hmmm, cargo pocket of my summer shorts? ... probably not. Indecent exposure and all that.

Saddle holsters might work ... if I still rode horses ... but I don't.

Saddle bags if I still rode bikes ... but I don't.

Overweight as I am, probably I could carry it under a blanket, maybe a caftan or a bhurka.

Couldn't use magnums, arthritis in the hands and thumbs leave me very little tolerance for recoil in a DA platform, .357 is about my limit any more.

Could use .44 specials and carry it around in a lunch box I guess .... ahhh ...

... Nope!

Too Big!

Actually, I've been known to Mexican carry a 4 5/8 " super Blackhawk, (or two,) on occasion, works very well for me, and conceals excellently but that's for another thread.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

DorGunR,

Those Pachmeyer grips on your wife's 640, are exactly the ones I put on the Rossi .357's I bought myself and my wife. Tremendous improvement in controllability over the Factory Uncle Mike's or what ever they were.

'Course Pachmeyer always did make grips that fit me, the surprising thing is that my wife had the same experience, and her hands are very small , mine aren't, yet the same grip worked out best for both of us.

Either a surprising coincidence ... or ... the Pachmeyer people know what they're doing.

I believe it's the latter.

Regards,
Old 12-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #19
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Here is how I carry my S&W .44 Magnum Mountain Gun. Ya gotta be real dirty looking to not look like a phony though.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #20
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

No problem with the dirt part, I have that down cold. My Mom said I had that mastered by the time I was 2, and every once in awhile my wife walks up to me sniffs and walks away holding her nose, only does that once or twice a day now that I've become more diligent about my personal hygene.

BTW, how well do you like that holster?

I've been eyeing one of those for my 7 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk, I like the sight radius, especially for hunting, but I hate carrying the damn thing in a belt holster.

Regards,
Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #21
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5knives
I've been eyeing one of those for my 7 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk, I like the sight radius, especially for hunting, but I hate carrying the damn thing in a belt holster.

Regards,
It works good. I'm thinking about getting one of those also for my Ruger Blackhawk with a 6 1/2" barrel.

I did make one modification to it though. It probably wouldn't need it for your or my Blackhawk though.

Due to the heavy frame and shorter length of barrel on my S&W Mountain Gun, the grip tended to lean away from my body too much.

So I took the rig to a shoe repair shop and had the top of the holster sewed to the leather strap. And then the gun remained more upright when I wore it.

I do plan on getting a shoulder pad for it also. That Mountain Gun is a heavy sucker - heavier than my Blackhawk. And after a day of riding the trails, my shoulder starts feeling it. I figure a shoulder pad much like you see on luggage or camera bag straps would work good. I'll probably go to a leather shop and have one made.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #22
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Spinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
Here is how I carry my S&W .44 Magnum Mountain Gun. Ya gotta be real dirty looking to not look like a phony though.

So, tell me, who is that "Older Gentleman" demonstrating the way YOU carry?
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
DorGunR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears
So, tell me, who is that "Older Gentleman" demonstrating the way YOU carry?
I think its Dirty Harry's father.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #24
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorGunR
Old 12-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #25
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorGunR

Yep, leave it to the GunR!
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #26
Wolverine

I don't like 9mm, that is not a secret. I have read some on it though, I would probably go with 147 grn Federal HST ammunition though. Even though they lack the velocity of the lighter bullets, they penetrate deeper and expand to a greater size. Velocity isn't everything! I have read up quite a bit, those Gold Dots seem pretty good too, but the newer Federal HST seems to be even better, not the older hydra shocks. I think they expand to like .75 inch or so if they work properly.

Once I am old enough to legally carry I will probably have a .45 or a .44, or both on me at most times. Unless I can't conceal it due to the weather - then perhaps a keltec in .380 or 9mm.

Just my 2 cents!

Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #27
DorGunR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
I don't like 9mm, that is not a secret. I have read some on it though, I would probably go with 147 grn Federal HST ammunition though. Even though they lack the velocity of the lighter bullets, they penetrate deeper and expand to a greater size. Velocity isn't everything! I have read up quite a bit, those Gold Dots seem pretty good too, but the newer Federal HST seems to be even better, not the older hydra shocks. I think they expand to like .75 inch or so if they work properly.

Once I am old enough to legally carry I will probably have a .45 or a .44, or both on me at most times. Unless I can't conceal it due to the weather - then perhaps a keltec in .380 or 9mm.

Just my 2 cents!

You don't like 9mm but you're willing to carry a .380???
Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #28
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I sometimes in the Summer carry a mouse gun - a Makarov.

It's hotter than a .380 but not as powerful as a 9mm Luger.

I prefer a .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #29
Wolverine

Don't be too hard on me

I would be willing to carry a .380 only if it was the only thing I could carry. Better to have it than nothing at all. I am not experienced at carrying at all and not sure how hard it would be to conceal some of these guns. I have no idea how you guys conceal full sized 1911's unless it is in the winter and you use a shoulder holster.

I don't like .22lr for defense either, but I would use it if it was all I had
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #30
Thanatos
Grunt-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
I don't like 9mm, that is not a secret. I have read some on it though, I would probably go with 147 grn Federal HST ammunition though.
Ask the FBI what THEY think of the 147grn 9mm.

Sub-sonic 9mm? Works for a supressed MP-5, and... that's about it.

Suggest you read just a bit more.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote