Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 08-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #16
Zane Zackerly
The Mad Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
Protected from "what"? This isn't the kind of firearm you lay on the floor of your truck and step on.

Could you please tell that to the people who sell them at gun shows.

Seriously, it just bothers me that it isn't "shrouded".
Zane Zackerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #17
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Zackerly
Could you please tell that to the people who sell them at gun shows.

Seriously, it just bothers me that it isn't "shrouded".
Well, that's good enough reason to buy something else. There are lots of things that will turn a person on, or turn them off about firearms.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #18
Zane Zackerly
The Mad Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
Well, that's good enough reason to buy something else. There are lots of things that will turn a person on, or turn them off about firearms.

I just have these little "eccentricities," okay?

I hate stamped AK's because EVERY STINKING RIVET has to be perfectly set.

I hate Bushmaster AR-15 rear M16A2 rear sights because they don't bottom out perfectly like the Colt's do.

I hate a wobbly or wiggly muzzle attachment on an AK.

I like revolver barrels to be partially relieved underneath the muzzle just cuz it looks cool (i.e., the ejector rod shroud doesn't go all the way to the muzzle).

I hate a rattly gas tube or handguard on ANY rifle.

Stuff like that.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #19
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Yeah, I"ve got my "quirks" about firearms likes and don't likes. We all have them. Myself, I like large diameter firearms that sound like thunder when they are fired.

The only reason I am somewhat attached to the M16 or AR is because I carried one overseas on a vacation in SE Asia. I really like the Garand much better because that was the first military rifle I trained on. I never was issued a M14, so I don't like them.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #20
Gus

I bought my S&W model 29 with a 6 1/2" pinned barrel in the late 1960's or early 1970's.

I thought S&W went to hell in 1987 when it was purchased by Tomkins PLC, a British company?

S&W History

Beginning

In 1852, partners Horace Smith and Daniel B. Wesson formed a company to produce a lever-action pistol nicknamed the Volcanic pistol. The company became known as the "Volcanic Repeating Arms Company"; financial difficulties caused it to come into the majority ownership of investor Oliver Winchester.

In 1856, the partners left the Volcanic Company to begin a new company and to manufacture a newly-designed revolver-and-cartridge combination. The timing of the founding of this new company proved quite opportune for the partners, since the onset of the American Civil War five years later produced a great demand for Smith & Wesson's products.

In 1964, the company passed from Wesson family control, and subsequently several conglomerates took control of it.

From 1987 to 2001 Tomkins PLC, a British company, owned Smith & Wesson.

[edit] Agreement of 2000
In March 2000, Smith & Wesson signed an agreement with the Clinton Administration in order to avoid lawsuits[1]. The company agreed to numerous safety and design standards, as well as limits on the sale and distribution of their products. Gun clubs and gun rights groups responded to this agreement almost instantly by initiating large-scale boycotts of Smith & Wesson by refusing to buy their new products and flooding the firearms market with used S&W guns, cutting into their market share. [1][2]

[edit] Acquisition by Saf-T-Hammer

On May 11, 2001, Saf-T-Hammer Corporation acquired Smith & Wesson Corp. from Tomkins PLC for US$15 million, a fraction of the US$112 million originally paid by Tomkins. Saf-T-Hammer also assumed US$30 million in debt, bringing the total purchase price to US$45 million.[3][4] Saf-T-Hammer, a manufacturer of gun locks and other firearms safety products, purchased the company with the intention of incorporating its line of security products into all Smith & Wesson firearms in compliance with the 2000 agreement.

The acquisition of Smith & Wesson was chiefly brokered by Saf-T-Hammer President Bob Scott, who had left Smith & Wesson in 1999 because of a disagreement with Tomkins’ policies. After the purchase, Scott became the president of Smith & Wesson to guide the 157-year-old company back to its former standing in the market.

On February 15, 2002, the name of the newly formed entity was changed to Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #21
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I bough my S&W Mountain Gun right after it was an American corporation again.

Although it doesn't have a pinned barrel, I have had absolutely no problem with it. About two years later, my buddy asked me to order one for him, which I did. It was one of the newer models which had that hole drilled in it for the internal safety lock (which in my opinion is )

I would like to get a model 29 one of these days. And if necessary, send it back to S&W for a factory re-bluing job.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #22
Zane Zackerly
The Mad Messenger

Okay, I gotta muddy the waters a little.

I've been a fan of .357 for years, but the recoil is a little punishing if you're going to shoot more than a couple of cylinders' worth when you're not practicing with .38 Special.

Now here's the deal: I shoot .45 ACP like it's 9mm because the recoil is more of a "push" than a "snap." That's why I can't stand .40 S & W except on rare occasions; it's more of a "snap."

Now, how would you compare the recoil of .44 Magnum to .357 Magnum?
Old 08-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #23
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Now, how would you compare the recoil of .44 Magnum to .357 Magnum?
It's completely different. If you don't like the recoil of a .357 Magnum, you will hate that of a .44 Magnum.

Added: The old cowboy style revolver handled heavy recoil better than modern revolvers. My .44 Magnum Ruger flattop handles the recoil much better than my Mountain Gun.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #24
Zane Zackerly
The Mad Messenger

Is there a good revolver platform for .45acp that doesn't require half moon clips or some funky shiznit like that?
Old 08-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #25
Gus

Quote:
Is there a good revolver platform for .45acp that doesn't require half moon clips or some funky shiznit like that?
Using 45ACP in a revolver half moon clips are a must.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #26
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Go to .45 Long Colt. You can load them as potent as a .44 Magnum, or as dainty as you want.

My .45 LC Vaqueros will handle anything I want to put in them.

Edited:If you don't reload, you can buy loaded ammo for Cowboy Action Shooting which is usually a 250 grain bullet with a moderate load of powder. That should fill the bill for something similar to a .45 acp.

S&W does make the model 625 Mountain gun which shoots .45 acp.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #27
Zane Zackerly
The Mad Messenger

"Dainty?"

"DAINTY?"

Sir, I refuse to own a firearm whose ammunition can even be classified as "dainty."

Old 08-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #28
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
"Dainty?"

"DAINTY?"

Sir, I refuse to own a firearm whose ammunition can even be classified as "dainty."

Well, that is the beauty of that cartridge which is way over a century old. You can load that cartridge to do about anything you want.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #29
DorGunR

Aw hell Zack, don't be a pussy, get a Smith & Wesson Model 500 .50-Cal. Magnum, Its The King Of Handguns.

DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #30
Zane Zackerly
The Mad Messenger

Does it come with either a bipod or a truck mount?