Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 01-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
500grains
Soldier of Allah

gun Do Lugers suck? Not reliable?

I was thinking of getting one of those commercial Lugers from the 1970's for my kid.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
I was thinking of getting one of those commercial Lugers from the 1970's for my kid.
Better choices of 9 mm out there for you kid!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
RetVet
Statistical Error

I have one chambered for 22LR. The short answer.... they suck. Mine is a jam-o-matic. Most of the reviews will say the same thing.

The toggle link action is nifty and they look weird, but functionally they are crap, at least mine is.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Too many intricate moving parts. That's why the Germans started replacing it with the Walther P38.

I'd still like to have a DWM American Eagle Luger in mint condition.

But I'd accept one made by Waffenfabrik or Mauser if someone wants to give me one.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Too many intricate moving parts. That's why the Germans started replacing it with the Walther P38.

I'd still like to have a DWM American Eagle Luger in mint condition.

But I'd accept one made by Waffenfabrik or Mauser if someone wants to give me one.
Yep, too many moving parts. Wouldn't want one for a SD tool.
Quit admiring them in the 50s, when they were still 'plentifull'.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
gunkgy

If you want a pistol for self defense, I would say no. As a piece for a collection and a casual shooter, hell yes.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
HorseSoldier176
Retired Soldier

There is a spring in the system that helps the toggle action, and it wears out. If replaced, it helps a lot with the reliability. It also helps to use slightly hotter ammo than is commercially available, to get the system to cycle fully. Much of the modern manufactured ammo is a bit underpowered (to smooth over the upset feeling of the PC crowd), so early semi autos don't function quite as well. Broomhandles suffer the same problem with commercial ammo.

All that having been said, I would not want to count on any Luger, or Broom for personal defense.

Bruce R. Gadbois
HorseSoldier176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
Enforcer

I've shot WWI & WWII Lugers, they are accurate (the sights are small) and reliable. In my experience, Lugers like warm loads, 124 gr may work the best. The commercial guns made in 70s are nice high quality guns from what I seen. I believe they were Swiss and were given Mauser markings. There were some stainless Lugers made in the states in the 1980s. After market magazines may or may not work in individual guns. I find the 9mm Lugers are less ammo sensitive than the 30 Luger guns. 30 Luger factory ammo is also very expensive.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
rogertc1

I have a stainless Mitchel Arms Luger from the 80's. rather touchy. I had to return 2 to get one to work. they were made in Texas.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #10
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Ammo ... U.S ammo was more than slightly underloaded in the U.S in the fifties, Lugers didn't like that at all, normal fix was to cut a turn or two off the recoil spring. I had a pile of HOT German 9 SMG ammo, steel cased, my luger loved it (I hated the trigger and the itty bitty sights), my S&W M39 ate that stuff up like a kid with a bag of M&M's, every ejected case from the M39 was split from base to mouth, but the little Smith never hiccupped.

Decided both guns had too many little springs and tiny parts, sold both and went back to the good old 1911 wearing holes in my side, my arm or my suit coat.

Second the opinions on Lugers stated above, ... not for SD!

As always, JMHO, YMMV!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5knives View Post
Ammo ... U.S ammo was more than slightly underloaded in the U.S in the fifties, Lugers didn't like that at all, normal fix was to cut a turn or two off the recoil spring. I had a pile of HOT German 9 SMG ammo, steel cased, my luger loved it (I hated the trigger and the itty bitty sights), my S&W M39 ate that stuff up like a kid with a bag of M&M's, every ejected case from the M39 was split from base to mouth, but the little Smith never hiccupped.

Decided both guns had too many little springs and tiny parts, sold both and went back to the good old 1911 wearing holes in my side, my arm or my suit coat.

Second the opinions on Lugers stated above, ... not for SD!

As always, JMHO, YMMV!

Regards,
Yes, trigger pull. Longest trigger pull of ANY production handgun.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
dinkydow

I had a 1917 DWM and a 1940's model luger. Both seemed to function well using 9mm+P ammo. I have 9mm+P for my sub machineguns. Some pistols are OK with it, some are not.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #13
2rogers

I had a stainless american eagle a few years ago. it had an appetite for 147 subsonics without fail. Useless with anything else. Not sure why.
2rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #14
500grains
Soldier of Allah

I think I will put the Luger on the back burner for now. Sounds like I might get lucky with a good one, or it could be a headache.
500grains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #15
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Buy a P38 instead.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote