Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
remus

Default electric wok

Anyone here ever use and electric wok? All I have is an electric range. Any have a home made base to an electric wok to fit on for use with an electric range? I've gotta yen to make some Chinese in a wok, or maybe even some jap stuff.
remus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
remus

That question about the base for an electric wok was fucked up. I meant a base for a standard wok to use on an electric range. Sometimes my fingers go faster than my thinker.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
4thIDvet
slug

Thumbs up I love Oriental food. Healthy and good for yah.

Woks are really designed for an intense open flame which disperses the heat to the bottom of the Wok and up the sides. I use mine on an electric stove and outside gas but on the electric don't turn it up to high or you will burn the food and it will probably start sticking due to the intense heat on the bottom.
Woks were used for centuries in the Orient due to lack of fuel for cooking. Experiment with temperatures food starts sticking at all turn the electric heat down a tad.
Hell open flame let it rip you could put it behind a jet engine and it will cook just fine.

How professional season their carbon steel wok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGXGJD2xTzQ&t=6s

Like cast iron pans NEVER use soap to clean use hot water and a mild scrub brush. Then a lite coat of oil and your good to go.

ADD: Once good and seasoned you don't need a lot of oil to cook. Hell my Wok is slicker than Teflon.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Woks are really designed for an intense open flame which disperses the heat to the bottom of the Wok and up the sides. I use mine on an electric stove and outside gas but on the electric don't turn it up to high or you will burn the food and it will probably start sticking due to the intense heat on the bottom.
Woks were used for centuries in the Orient due to lack of fuel for cooking. Experiment with temperatures food starts sticking at all turn the electric heat down a tad.
Hell open flame let it rip you could put it behind a jet engine and it will cook just fine.

How professional season their carbon steel wok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGXGJD2xTzQ&t=6s

Like cast iron pans NEVER use soap to clean use hot water and a mild scrub brush. Then a lite coat of oil and your good to go.

ADD: Once good and seasoned you don't need a lot of oil to cook. Hell my Wok is slicker than Teflon.
That's right, they won't work well on electric. Have you ever watched a wok being used? Here is one for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFGGTPPNdRQ

You can see the burner towards the end.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
4thIDvet
slug

Thumbs up

Yup to cool Fred.
Oh my God if you ever research Teflon you will never ever eat out of a Teflon pan or cooking utensil again. Cast Iron and woks are the only way to go.
Only reason cast iron pans are not more widely used in commercial kitchens is their just a bit heavy to move around quickly.
When that chef was done with those orders just a quick hot water rinse a quick wipe a splash of oil and next.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

Thumbs up

Watch. Hot water rinse next.

Very Fast Cooking in a Chinese Wok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX62hKkcb6s&t=45s
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #7
remus

I'd hate to pay their gas bill but I love the sink setup.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
That's right, they won't work well on electric. Have you ever watched a wok being used? Here is one for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFGGTPPNdRQ

You can see the burner towards the end.
I wonder if that kitchen would pass the health inspectors in the US?