Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 02-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

Default Browning HP sn ?

Just acquired a Hi Power (Vigilante) with the serial number 511MN5xxxx.

Looking at Proof House and the Browning websites hasn't provided the information I want; i.e. DoM.

I gather that the 511 is the model number, the MN is the date of manufacture, and the last five digits are the serial number.

But I can find no reference that indicates what year the MN represents. I believe it;s after 1998 0r 1999.

Any clues, guys?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
2rogers

mn= 09

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...tail.asp?id=35

get your krd mags fronn cdnn,16.99 on this weekends special. put the 17 rnd floorplate that comes with them. segal grips from cylinder & slide shop, or the hogues if you prefer rubber. either grip is completely different feel. you may be ok with the factory grips but i prefer most anything but. i did however buy a cet of super cool cherry smooth grips but they felt awful on the bhp.
2rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

Thanks, 2rogers ~ I guess common sense isn't my forte on a wet and windy day like today.

I'll look into the CDNN stuff. As for grips, I kinda like the originals, but the gun would look real sharp with ivories IMO.
Rick-a-Roo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
2rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-a-Roo View Post
Thanks, 2rogers ~ I guess common sense isn't my forte on a wet and windy day like today.

I'll look into the CDNN stuff. As for grips, I kinda like the originals, but the gun would look real sharp with ivories IMO.
i like the original grips looks as well. but they are a bit thick or "block of wood" ish. its all about the feel while shooting to me. i'll try to get some pic's up today or tomorrow. you got a great toy.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey

Yeah ~ I should take a couple of pix of it. There can never be enough of 'em ~ guns and pix of guns.
Rick-a-Roo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
pfalz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-a-Roo View Post

Check http://www.gungrip.com/
N.C. ORDNANCE site. Good people,I ordered a set of 1911 grips with the Navy seal on them for my brother 1911, as birthday present.

http://www.gungrip.com/items_7__page7.html

Browning HiPower grips Ivory like.
pfalz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
2rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalz2 View Post
Check http://www.gungrip.com/
N.C. ORDNANCE site. Good people,I ordered a set of 1911 grips with the Navy seal on them for my brother 1911, as birthday present.

http://www.gungrip.com/items_7__page7.html

Browning HiPower grips Ivory like.
i bet they would look very nice on a deep blue polished finish
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
tx_oil

I got some custom rosewood fleur-de-lis grips for my BHP (and custom fleur-de-lis holster too) and I have to agree with 2rogers, that nothing looks better than nicely finished wood on a deeply polished blued finish.
tx_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
2rogers

i cant seem to transfer my picture to this thread. feel free to click on my profile to view oversize pictures of my bhp's. dammit tx oil! thats a gleaming piece. i see its a belgium model, when was it made? how does it shoot? ect.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rogers View Post
i cant seem to transfer my picture to this thread. feel free to click on my profile to view oversize pictures of my bhp's. dammit tx oil! thats a gleaming piece. i see its a belgium model, when was it made? how does it shoot? ect.
Nice Hi Powers! I really like the Novaks on the one.

My wife has an Argentine Hi Power with the crappy sights. Looks like I'll put Novaks on the very long list of other gun modifications I need done.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
2rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Nice Hi Powers! I really like the Novaks on the one.

My wife has an Argentine Hi Power with the crappy sights. Looks like I'll put Novaks on the very long list of other gun modifications I need done.
i've got the original novaks work order for it. the guy i bought it from spent 2k$ for the full package. its a 71 model. he was going threw a rough divorce and had it advertised in a local periodical. ad stated "browning 9mm 650$ novaks". i met the fellow in a mall parking lot where he showed me the paperwork and admited that after 4 weeks i was the only person that called. it was kind of creepy sitting in his car with 3 little kids in the back seat negotiating a deal. his ID matched the name on the work order. 550 bought it.

its not just a matter of the deal or that i like a bhp. anyone whom questions what defines a "fast" pistol hasnt shot really good one modified right. doublecheck the picture, i think you can see bar-sto on the barrel. the top of the slide is a glare free matte finish. the trigger & slide is too smooth to be real. the odd contour of the spegel grips makes it feel thinner than it is. mags drop free. point of aim perfect, but if you can ignore the dots and just aim with the top of the sights, a 1 hole group at 40' is achievable. not just by me.

the one on the top was dads personal. i put the hogues on it. its never failed either. i bought dad a bunch of mags for it and a couple great holsters for it but he never used them. he only warmed it up once.

i had 1 of the argentine hp's several years ago. i think it was called an "fm" ,bad sights and some kind of what appeared to ba a baked on enamel finish. but it was relaiable and better than expected accurate. i see they bring a lot more at the gun shows now than what they cost new. what kind of finish does your wifes have?