Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 04-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Default I love my 1911

A couple months ago I bought a Springfield Armory 1911A1 'GI' model. Since day 1, I've been impressed with it and even more-so since it's getting 'broke in'.

Anyways, I'm kicking around the idea of buying (when I can afford to), the other 'sizes' of 1911's (in .45 acp only).......Commander, Compact, Long Slide....brand name doesn't really matter as long as it's an affordable, dependable gun.

I'm thinking of the Long Slide first. Anyone have any experience with them? Can you tell me the good, bad and ugly about them?

Thanks.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

I have been interested in a long slide for a while. Don't know if you are into building them but I have found a company that sold long slide kits.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

I haven't dabbled in 'building' firearms yet, but eventually I will.....along with reloading.

One of these days, when I get enough time..............
Old 04-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Sanders

Wait until you wow your friends and family by shooting trap with it.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Gus

Quote:
I love my 1911
I agree ... I generally grab my ole 1911 45ACP when I hear noises in the night ... very dependable and accurate IMO
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

The 1911 is a great handgun. I've had several over the years. Colt, Springfield, even a damn Llama (not really a 1911, but close enough for Moon-work). Hell, the damn cheap-ass Llama shot just as good as the Springfield ! Great design, good caliber.

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders
Wait until you wow your friends and family by shooting trap with it.
Funny you should mention that.

One time a few of us had gotten together to powder some clays. It was my turn to do the throwing and due to me not paying attention to the guys doing the shooting, I launched a 'bird'.

One of the guys that was there didn't own a shotgun, but had brought along his Ruger .22 autoloader.

Since I had a bad case of temporary RCI (recto-cranial inversion), and launched the bird, he dropped to one knee, drew and took a two hand hold on it, zero'd in and started cranking out rounds.

Funny, the bird disappeared in a puff of powder.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:04 AM   #8
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Went to the range today.

Since the gun is pretty new and just getting broke in, I tried rapid fire using 2 magazines. Aimed the first mag for the head, second mag at center mass.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Icarus
BUNKER FUNKER

I have a springfield gi model, nickel plated, still in the factory packing, never shot it. I think its a beautiful firearm. Im hoping the santa clause will bring me a rock island tactical for a shooter. Or maybe build one up myself.
The RI looks like a fair deal for the money. I havent heard much about quality and reliabilty of the RI. Anyone got any input on them?

SON OF THE SOUTH, MAN OF THE BLUES

TITTIES

Dont make me have to do it!

3. Never stick it in crazy.

I STAND WITH ISRAEL

MoLoN LaBe MOTHERFUCKER

3%

To compel a man to subsidize with
his taxes the propagation of ideas which he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
DorGunR

I've never owned/fired a long slide so I know nothing about them. I'm down to these three 1911's right now .........I may or may not buy another one because they are hard for me to rack the slide.

DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
The RI looks like a fair deal for the money. I havent heard much about quality and reliabilty of the RI. Anyone got any input on them?
If you have a Springfield G.I.... why would you want a plinker ? It seems to me like you already have one If the G.I. is special to you, or hell, maybe you just want another .45acp... the RIA is a good handgun, especially for the price. They shoot like any other 1911-style .45acp (great !!).
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
Icarus
BUNKER FUNKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon
If you have a Springfield G.I.... why would you want a plinker ? It seems to me like you already have one If the G.I. is special to you, or hell, maybe you just want another .45acp... the RIA is a good handgun, especially for the price. They shoot like any other 1911-style .45acp (great !!).

OK OK
I admitt it.
I just want another damn gun!
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
HorseSoldier176
Retired Soldier

I have a few standard GI type 1911A1s, and they are my favorite side arm. I do have one Combat Commander, and the only advantage it has is compactness, for carry. I have handeled, and fired a General model, and it is uncomfortable to operate (IMO), as it is so short that it does not absorb the recoil enough.

I have no experience with a long slide, and don't know what, if any advantage such would provide.

I have used the "Cavalry" carbine version of the M-1911A1, that has the board stock, and slightly longer than standard barrel. In full auto, it is fun, but hardly a practical weapon. In semi, the board stock does add stability, when mounted, but since few units still have mounts, and if mounted, a handgun would not be my first choice of weapon for engagement, it is really more acedemic, than practical.

Back to your point. I can see a "commander" version as a carry piece, but it isn't an improvement over the standard, just a nice carry weapon. The General model is too small, in my opinion, and whenever possible, I prefer to use the standard model.

Bruce R. Gadbois
HorseSoldier176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Meks

I have a SA LW loaded Champion I love, had to send it back and have it fluff'd n buff'd when it was new because it had a hard time chambering the first round out of a mag but after that glitch this gun runs like a champ!!

I got a Blackhawk holster I cut down so it isn't sticking way down past the 4" barrel

easy light accurate carry gun that seems to shoot more accurate the farther out I get... or maybe I need new reading glasses... lol
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #15
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheistermeister
I have been interested in a long slide for a while. Don't know if you are into building them but I have found a company that sold long slide kits.
Do you by chance have a URL to the company?

Thanks.