Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Sights, Scopes, Optics, Binoculars, and Flashlights
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
aviator
unum de multis

Default Pogo, Nikon issue to be aware of

This falls into optics, so this will be a good place to write about it.

Not really an issue , just the way the camera is supposed to work but being a good engineer I only read instructions when everything else fails.

While in New York I selected the "Auto Correction" mode in the menu, I assumed it was for lens correction, as I have never read the instruction manual and I forgot about it. Some of my shots were taking forever to write to the card, I thought it was a bad card so I got another one and the same thing happened. I asked my BIL who is well versed into Nikon Photography and he didn't have an answer.

A few minutes ago I decided to check into it and noticed the Auto Correction was on so I turned it off, the problem went away, I did some research online and sure enough it slows down the writing to the card to a crawl since it has to convert the picture.

So keep it in mind....or read the manual....
Old 02-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I never use the auto function. I always shoot in RAW using manual settings.

Any necessary corrections I make in post processing.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
aviator
unum de multis

Not in "Auto" function, it's an option in the camera menu.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Hell good info Pogo but I can't afford that stuff you use.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Not in "Auto" function, it's an option in the camera menu.
I know. But I don't use the auto correct. I use Adobe lightroom to correct for barrel or pincushion distortion during post processing. There is another uncommon distortion called mustache distortion. By using lightroom I can choose how much correction I want to apply.

People who buy an expensive DSLR should turn off all of the automatic features and learn how to use the camera functions manually. That is how you can take a picture that will really catch other people's eyes.

If a person wants a quick snapshot a better choice would be either a small compact camera like a Canon Powershot or a mirrorless camera like a Panasonic Lumix.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
dinkydow

The only thing that IRKS me about DSLR cameras is that they SUCK for taking action/motion shots. I have a Nikon F Blackbody, 35mm that with fast film on a sunny day can be used easily at FAST shutter speeds to catch about anything...not bullets in flight though. Hell...you can't hardly even FIND camera film anymore...let alone getting it developed.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
The only thing that IRKS me about DSLR cameras is that they SUCK for taking action/motion shots. I have a Nikon F Blackbody, 35mm that with fast film on a sunny day can be used easily at FAST shutter speeds to catch about anything...not bullets in flight though. Hell...you can't hardly even FIND camera film anymore...let alone getting it developed.
Film cameras are dinosaurs. I have a Cannon AF-1 in a camera bag on the shelf in my closet. It was great in it's day, but digital cameras are so much better. Back in it's day, most people bought the AE-1 because it was automatic. I bought the manual one so I could better control the shots.

You can take fast action shots if you have the proper lens. Not fast enough for a bullet of course, you have to use a special camera for that.

But if you use a fast lens you can do quite good. These were taking with my Nikon D850.

I even stopped the tail rotor with this photo of a helicopter flying over my house.

And an airplante prop.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Here are some birds in flight that I took:

Old 01-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Here is a photo I took of a Great Egret shaking it's head. You can even see the water drops in stop motion.

Great Egret shaking head by John Danley, on Flickr
Old 01-24-2019, 12:11 AM   #10
cerberus
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
And an airplante prop.
Assuming the prop-tips are at or near the speed of sound, that's pretty kewl.
cerberus
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote