Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #16
A.J.
Dud

I'm working on a new recipe.

1 cup fish oil (sardines and anchovies)
2 tsp garlic salt
4 tsp powdered liver

I mixed the stuff last night. I'm thinking about using little sponges to soak up the oil and simply putting the sponge on a hook.
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
I'm working on a new recipe.

1 cup fish oil (sardines and anchovies)
2 tsp garlic salt
4 tsp powdered liver

I mixed the stuff last night. I'm thinking about using little sponges to soak up the oil and simply putting the sponge on a hook.
We have so many catfish in the river here hell they even hit my Rapella lures.
They use pretty much any old piece of dead meat and the catfish go for it.
Their is still a commercial hoop net crew in town that load up through the week.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #18
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Their is still a commercial hoop net crew in town that load up through the week.
I've heard if you spray the hook with WD-40 they come to it.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #19
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Fred I have to be the worlds worst fresh water fisherman. I grew up and love salt water fishing now that I can do pretty good.
I have used WD-40 and not really sure if it works or I was just in the right spot at the right time.
Shrimp. All carnivore fish love shrimp both salt and fresh water. Good thing about shrimp is if yah don't use all yer bait hell cook it up and eat it.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #20
Sanders

Quote:
Fred I have to be the worlds worst fresh water fisherman. I grew up and love salt water fishing now that I can do pretty good.
I have used WD-40 and not really sure if it works or I was just in the right spot at the right time.
Shrimp. All carnivore fish love shrimp both salt and fresh water. Good thing about shrimp is if yah don't use all yer bait hell cook it up and eat it.
You can do that with chicken livers, too - especially if you are Jewish.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #21
A.J.
Dud

Quote:
I think the "Yankee" channel cats up here in Michigan are a little more fussy! Up here their favorite food is pinkish stuff the comes from the inside of salmon. Not sure what it's called. I went fishing with a really old dude about 3 years ago and he just killed it with this bait. The stuff is REALLY hard to come by. You basically have to be standing over someone when they're cleaning a female salmon. I have a little bit my BIL got for me when he visited last Fall.

Me? I've tried all sorts of baits. Most of the time minnows and worms do well. If the catfish aren't biting, I can always hit smallmouth bass.

Quote:
I've heard the same thing. I think the "oil" kinda attracts them, but looking at Utube on this subject, it's kinda hit and miss. My fish oil concoction is based on the same theory: create an oil slick that smells like an injured fish.

Another bait I'm gonna try is raw chicken breast. I've heard great things about it. Might even soak some chicken in fish oil for added scent.

Good news is that my work schedule is winding down over the next few months. I'll have more time to fish. The river's way to high to go out right now due to heavy rains. The middle of next week, I'll get my little 12' flat bottom wet and see what I can catch.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #22
A.J.
Dud

I caught two 20" channel cats. Meh... just medium sized. I caught one off worms and the other from my raw chicken breast recipie:

chicken
anchovy oil
garlic salt
liver powder

When I was leaving for the day at the boat launch, a couple taking their kids fishing struck up a conversation. I gave them what was left of my "secret bait". No worries. Plenty more where that came from
Old 05-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #23
A.J.
Dud

Catfish didn't taste so great. Why? Because I didn't remove the redish meat from the fillet. Thought it would be fine as is. WRONG! Next time cut out any of the dark meat before cooking. The white meat was delicious.

I'm rigging up my little 12' jon boat for an even more ergonomic fishing experience - homemade rod holders, bait-cutting board, tool holders, etc...
Old 05-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #24
4thIDvet
slug

Fresh right out of the water catfish here is incredible good. Little fingerling cats I could eat all damn day.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #25
slug

Dynamite works well...

I hear...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #26
A.J.
Dud

I was on the Grand River for a little over 5 hours today. I used dead minnows, chicken liver, salmon eggs and raw chicken. The raw chicken delivered! Only caught 1 keeper cat but had the most action off the raw chicken to include 2 very large turtles.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #27
A.J.
Dud

The channel cat was delicious. This time I removed all the reddish meat from the fillets before cooking. Man, what a difference!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #28
aviator
unum de multis

I've heard if you dip it in milk for a while it removes some of that taste, But I've never done it.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #29
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
Dynamite works well...

I hear...
Old timers here used the "Monkey." They were those readily available older military hand cranks to generate power for radio transmissions. Drop the wires down in the water and get to cranking.
Fish would float to the surface and try to jump in the boat to get away from Old Sparky. Dinners ready. Oh God if the Game Wardens caught you would never legally fish again..
Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #30
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
I've heard if you dip it in milk for a while it removes some of that taste, But I've never done it.
Butter milk Fred. When any fish starts to smell like fish well guess what? It ain't fresh. Fresh fish right out of the water has virtually no smell to it.
Catfish direct from catch to pan. Oh yeah good.