Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 08-21-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Icarus
BUNKER FUNKER

Default Damn It Karl

Had to go and buy another K31. Its your fault, my ol lady is looking for you!. Its a 52.... with matching #s, Said it had good wood, and 75% on bluing, Ill post pics when it arrives. I have been told that there will be no more coming into the US. Or rather no more exported from Switzerland.

Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Karl/PA
Resident Curmudgeon

Don't worry a bit. I'll just turn on the old charm and she'll forget why she came.

Alcohol is a perfect solvent: It dissolves marriages, families and careers.
Karl/PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
WetKnife
February 16 1966- October 23 2008 - US Navy veteran

One of my Gun shops has 3-4 on sale for $200.00 or less.
WetKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
Sigfest

I really like the K31. Just something about it. Dunham's carried them on sale for 99.00. Seen one the other day there that had a better than average stock, but no matching mag. The other one was beat. Passed on both.
Sigfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
RetVet
Statistical Error

I got another from Centerfire last week. Pretty good bluing overall and a slightly better than average walnut stock. All matching, 1944 dated, and of course, a perfect mirror bore.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

That's one thing about the Swiss. They took care of the bore of the rifle.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
zfk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
That's one thing about the Swiss. They took care of the bore of the rifle.
Pogo, this is an excerpt from one of my archives.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So your rifle came to you in the usual condition of the k31. Stock a bit beat up but with most of the metal finish intact and sharp, shiney lands and grooves, and you intend to keep it that way.
Stop and think about this. The rifle came to you in the condition in which the Swiss soldier and Armoury kept it for many years. Is it not then a reasonable assumption that you'd follow the same maintenance ritual that has kept it in that condition for so many years? Maybe, but the average American shooter believes strongly in all of the advertising hype and testimonials to a myriad of maintenance products deemed absolutely necessary to keep a rifle as pristine as possible, few of which are factually relevant to the k31 barrel.

The Armoury and the well instructed Swiss soldier used a product called Waffenfett, and later Automattenfett or weapon grease. A close and reasonable approximation in the US is Lubriplate 930. The barrel is swabbed with 930, running a patch back and forth followed by a dry patch. At the end of the shooting session while the barrel is still hot or warm, the lubriplate is worked back into the barrel and left that way until the next shooting session when a dry patch is run back through removing the excess lubriplate. That's it. If carbon in the throat and chamber become an issue from firing reloads, use a good carbon remover such as Montana Extreme, but leave the bore alone. It is a fact that excessive bore cleaning with brushes can and will shorten your barrel life.

If, by shooting reloaded cartridges utilizing copper jacketed projectiles, your bore shows copper fouling, use a product such as WipeOut to remove it. This kind of a product fulfills it's task without continual scrubbing of the bore.

This may sound like an overly simple approach, and the typical US shooter is usually a ready recipient of industry marketing efforts and barrel maintenance, but use this logic. My 50+ year old rifle came to me with a truly amazing bore. Why would I not then follow the maintenance practices of the Armoury and Soldier that delivered it to me in this condition?