Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 02-15-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
Solid Snake

Default Snub nosed .38 ammo question...

I've decided to start carrying my S&W 642 more often. I carried it off and on in my LEO days as an off-duty weapon but I was limited to department regulations as far as ammo was concerned. I think I was limited to 110gr or 115gr. I looked on the interwebs for what ammo to carry in it. The majority of my research recommends Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P. Before I go out and buy some, what input would any of you have on this? Keep in mind, this is 1-7/8 inch barrel.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Driswalds
Starcastle Champion

I started carrying the Federal HST 130 grain +P

It expanded great and penetrated 13 inch.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...llistics-test/
Driswalds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
Solid Snake

Interesting article. I think the chart they show will be most helpful. Thank you.
Solid Snake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
Travish

I have a 642 for my “street bike gun” and it’s never failed. My buddy has a 64? (Bobbed hammer version) and he has had several issues with his. Had to send it back twice. Had to do with the trigger lock thing if I remember right. Something rattling around and wouldn’t fire unless you held it upside down. Does yours have the lock? You might want to remove it if it does.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=XcyL4I3zHko
Travish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
Sheepdawg
Happiness is a warm K98k

Stuff's hard to find at times but I think the 135 gr. Gold Dot for short barrels is the standard by which all others compared to.

Not bad on recoil either. Not a very hot round for a +P.

Khruschev was right. So was McCarthy.
Sheepdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
Solid Snake

Just got back from Academy. They didn't have much to choose from for .38spl. I went with Hornady XTP American Gunner 125 gr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travish View Post
I have a 642 for my “street bike gun” and it’s never failed. My buddy has a 64? (Bobbed hammer version) and he has had several issues with his. Had to send it back twice. Had to do with the trigger lock thing if I remember right. Something rattling around and wouldn’t fire unless you held it upside down. Does yours have the lock? You might want to remove it if it does.

Mine does have the lock. I've had it for about 13 years and never had a problem. But I really only ever fired it once a year. I've watched a few videos on how to remove the lock. Looks easy enough but I know I'll fuck it up. Maybe I'll forget about it, maybe I'll try removing it. Who knows.

EDIT: After removing the lock, what are my options? Leave the keyhole piece in, just have a gaping hole in my frame, or is there a way to cover the hole up?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 02-16-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Additional question
Old 02-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
GBob01
Coonass Crusader

Had a 642 for years and loved it for CC.
Carried Federal 110gr (low recoil) Hydra shoks.

III DEO VINDICE
GBob01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
Solid Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travish View Post

After watching that video a few times, I decided to attempt to remove the lock. It was surprisingly easy. You just have to take your time and don't rush it. Took about five minutes. Even if it never would have locked up on me, the piece of mind is well worth it.