Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > General Discussion Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 12-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #16
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill View Post
How cold before the oranges are affected?
Not much oranges down his way BBill. Their half way between Fred and me is where they mainly grow. Cold nights warm days makes good oranges they can handle it right to the freezing mark.
Below freezing they use smoke "smudge pots" or water spray em. Ice forms lightly on the trees and keeps the plant itself above freezing like a blanket.
Disease and cold killed two of my trees here just one left and its hanging on.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #17
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Not much oranges down his way BBill. Their half way between Fred and me is where they mainly grow. Cold nights warm days makes good oranges they can handle it right to the freezing mark.
Below freezing they use smoke "smudge pots" or water spray em. Ice forms lightly on the trees and keeps the plant itself above freezing like a blanket.
Disease and cold killed two of my trees here just one left and its hanging on.
And over 3/4 of the groves are gone, diseases, politics and over-development have diminished our citrus production. I remember driving on Hwy 27 north and it used to be oranges left and right for miles and miles, that was about 40 years back, I drove up a couple years ago and now it's homes, shopping centers, car dealerships and oranges are gone. I sold a large parcel in the middle of nowhere in Florida...actually 100 acres in Felda, orange trees were about all dead and the farmers were gone, my buyer was turning the place into a mulch processing facility.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #18
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill View Post
How cold before the oranges are affected?
now as far as the original question, below freezing. Farmers run sprinklers all night long so the water freezes around the oranges and protect them from getting burned.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #19
Sheepdawg
Happiness is a warm K98k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Imagine what it would be like if Al Gore hadn't invented global warming.
No snow here in West Tennessee no doubt due to the heat emitted from Al Gore's 11,000 sq. ft. home and carbon footprint in Carthage traveling west. All the snow went south of Memphis.
Sheepdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #20
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Old 12-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #21
Sanders

There was snow in El Paso and Pecos, Texas.

Hell has frozen over.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #22
Stalky

It's actually snowing here in SW Virginia. Flurries,but snow I guess. Not the big flakes I like and my wife doesn't. I don't expect any accumulation though.
Stalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #23
Railbuggy

My brother is in Spring Texas. His Facebook showed snow covering everything this morning.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #24
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbuggy View Post
My brother is in Spring Texas. His Facebook showed snow covering everything this morning.
Well that's because Spring in in the Great White North of the Greater Houston metrolplex.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #25
Boris

first snow of the season here in Michigan as well,,Monday it was 62 degrees and we had a south wind blowing in at 50 mph,,on Tuesday it turned colder and by Wednesday it was in the teens for lows.
we have about 6 inches on the ground now,,,,sure am glad I bought a new battery and wipers for the plow truck,,I may need it soon

Patrick Henry
Boris is online now   Reply With Quote