Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
stickyballs
Dud

Default .243?

i'm wantin to buy a .243 for my wife for deer hunting. i can also use this in the off season for coyotes. what would be a good price range for me to go on? not really careing on make of the rifle just want something solid and not too over pricey
stickyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

If you are wanting to get by inexpensively, I would probably try to find a used rifle, perhaps a Ruger bolt action. They make great solid rifles, and the resale prices aren't all that high.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
NCshooter26

I know alot of people here are anti-Wal-mart, and for good reason. However, occasionally carry Savage combo rifles in .243. The have black composite stocks and are fitted with 3-9x32 (or x40, I can't remember) scopes. They are usually priced in the $300-$400 range. My dad bought one a few years back and swears by it for deer hunting with ballistic tips.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Did you ever consider one of the break-open single shots ? Those can be had pretty cheaply, especially a used one. It sounds like you're wanting a seasonal rifle, shooting maybe a box of shells out of it a year. No sense in getting carried away with something you're never gonna use

.243 Winchester is a great caliber, you won't have any trouble killing deer or coyotes with it. A 200y shot in the kill zone won't be any trouble. The biggest deer I've ever killed was done with a .243 Winchester from about 200y. The recoil is mild, and the little wifey will probably like shooting it.

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
General Lee

My vote would be for a Savage with the accutrigger and without the scope. Buy a Leopold, Buriss, or something decent instead of the scope that comes on it.

Mine is wonderfully accurate with 100 grain hornady light magnums.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom—go from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"

Sam Adams

WOLVERINES!!
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Yup! What General Lee and NCshooter26 said!

In a repeater, and a new gun the Savage offerings are extremly hard to beat. Accuracy is excellent and the guys I know with the new AccuTrigger love it. In a new gun you can easily double the price before you can improve on a Savage's OTB accuray.

Ditto on the scope also, but check out Pentax , kind of a sleeper but their scopes are absolutely outstanding and some of the most rugged on the market.

OTOH, she might be happy for a long time with the Savage package deal! .243 isn't going to beat a scope to death like some.

.243 is darn near the perfect combination Varmint/Deer rifle.

Good choice!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Rew

.243 is one of my favorite rifle calibers. I think you have been given some good choice's. The Savage is an excellent bolt rifle and value and the NEF handi-rifle single is too. But remember you can also get the .243 in a semi Rem 7400 or a lever Browning BLR, the BLR is a bit pricey.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I had a Savage 110L (which is a left handed model) in .243 many years ago. Very fine rifle. Alas I traded it off like a lot of people have done before they realize you never trade off or sell a fine firearm.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #9
drunkrussian

Agree with everyone else. They are not the best looking guns, but they fire, and do the job. The Accutrigger is a huge plus with them. But another option would be the Remington 700 in their price point syn. Use to be the ADL, but can't remember what it's called now.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less " - Robert E. Lee
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
stickyballs
Dud

thanks for all the great advice from y'all. i was pretty sure i wanted the .243, and now i know i do for sure.
stickyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #11
pharaoh2

I'd vote also for the Savage, sort of. The Stevens 200 is the same gun, sans the accu-trigger, and has a blind magazine. But check out the price, I have one in .223 and it's worth evey penny.
[IMG][/IMG]
pharaoh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #12
Rew

Pharaoh, does your Stevens have a short action? I have yet to see one but I know some of the Savage 110's had a long action with a bolt stop in the shorter calibers.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #13
pharaoh2

It's a short action, with a bolt stop. The little .223 is really a little cartridge, so they did use a stopper in there. But they are available with a regular long action as well.
pharaoh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

My FIL just bought on of the new Mossberg ATR100's in .308 with the hydraulic shock absorber in the stock. It didn't much harder than a 22. I don't know if they make them in 243 or not, but they are a fine and accurate rifle. I used his this past season. A head shot at 200 yards is no problem. Never had the opportunity to go farther yet.

But you can pick up one of these for $240 and I would highly recommend one.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Ronald Reagan - 1964
-------------------------------------
Bunker Member #4.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
Sanders

My niece uses a Browning BLR in .243. She always gets her deer.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote