Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
SNAFU

Default Standing Rib Roast

No brisket available so I got a 5.5# rib roast.

Not sure how I feel about this
SNAFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Take the roast out of the fridge at least 2 hours before cooking so the center won't be so cold.
Preheat the oven to 450. Rub the meat with a little butter. Sprinkle all over with Kosher salt and ground pepper. Put it bone side down in a roasting pan and put it in the oven for 25 minutes then reduce temp to 325 and cook for an additional 20 minutes per pound.
About 15 minutes before the end, start checking the internal temp with a instant read thermometer. When it hits 130, take the roast out, cover with foil and rest 10 minutes.
The temp should continue to rise to about 140 for a nice medium rare.

I did one like this last week and it came out perfect.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
SNAFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Take the roast out of the fridge at least 2 hours before cooking so the center won't be so cold.
Preheat the oven to 450. Rub the meat with a little butter. Sprinkle all over with Kosher salt and ground pepper. Put it bone side down in a roasting pan and put it in the oven for 25 minutes then reduce temp to 325 and cook for an additional 20 minutes per pound.
About 15 minutes before the end, start checking the internal temp with a instant read thermometer. When it hits 130, take the roast out, cover with foil and rest 10 minutes.

Think a grill variation would work?

My wife got a shit load of charcoal and lump wood coal and I am trying to burn it up because it seems to have started absorbing water
SNAFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Should work on a grill with indirect heat, but I've never tried it. Maybe someone else has a good grill recipe.
Eightball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
S. Fisher

Quote:
Should work on a grill with indirect heat, but I've never tried it. Maybe someone else has a good grill recipe.
Indirect is the way to go, you need to get the grill to about 350, should take about 2 1/2 hrs for med rare.
Instead of butter use oil, heavy on the salt ( I prefer sea salt or the pink salt) and pepper on the fat side. Put it in bone side down. I’ve put a piece of hickory or mesquite in there too, gives it a nice smokey flavor.
S. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

Thumbs up

Quote:

Only thing different is I would rest it for about 30 minutes.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Konstantin

Indirect heat. Get an aluminum roasting pan and put it under the roast with the charcoal on the sides. It is always best to cook it at a high temp for the first 15 minutes to seal the outside to keep the juices in.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote