Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
A.J.
Dud

Default Channel Catfish Bait

What do you guys use? Any secret recipies? This year I caught two 24" channel cats in the Grand River last year. One went for a nightcrawler and the other for a piece of cut bait (trout, I think).
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
JD Miller
Fake Member

Ive used that blood stink bait stuff with good luck. But that was for western desert channel catfish
Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #3
Railbuggy

In the Ohio River I like raw shrimp with a night crawler to give it some wiggle.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:16 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbuggy View Post
In the Ohio River I like raw shrimp with a night crawler to give it some wiggle.
Yup I don't think their is a fish alive fresh or saltwater that won't take a shrimp vegetarian fish excluded? Here if it is edible foods the catfish will take it. , liver, chicken livers hell whatever you can keep on the hook.
Hell I had them hitting a deep water Rapella lure one day while fishing for bass.

http://www.catfishedge.com/best-catfish-bait/
Old 01-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #5
slug

Down south they use niqqers for

Gator bait...

You might try one of them...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:19 AM   #6
aviator
unum de multis

I use democrats for shark fishing bait.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
Konstantin

When I worked at the meat processer we'd put about 2 inches of blood into a tub. Then we'd let it sit and coagulate. After a couple hours in the fridge we'd pour off the liquid and cut the gelled blood into cubes and put them in the freezer. When we went to set our lines we'd wrap a chunk of blood in a piece of nylon pantyhose and put it on the hook. Trotlines would be full the next morning.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Chunks of liver were my favorite for catfish.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
Sanders

livers or nightcrawlers.

Made some chum from chicken guts, once. Hung it in a tree for a week before using it. It smelled so bad, I think it scared the catfish away.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
Konstantin

Grandpa used to buy a pack of chicken livers and leave them in the sun all day.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #11
A.J.
Dud

I like the chicken liver idea. I'm gonna try that next time. It's cheap, easy to get and catfish love it. Also, unlike nightcrawlers my bait won't get stolen by little fish every 30 seconds.

My BIL saved me some steelhead roe from the last time he visited here to fish. I've heard that's really good but chicken livers is definitely on the "menu".

Incidentally, my "weapon of choice" is an old 12' jon boat, a 40 year old motor and a 50 year old trailer that I restored last year. The boat is small enough to fit into shallow water if I need to, is easy to manhandle and is still plenty big for me.

Last year I actually caught a number of keeper smallmouth bass when I was fishing for catfish. Go figure.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #12
Railbuggy

The striped bass are what I mostly caught fishing from the banks of the Ohio River over the last 20 years. Getting old with COPD sucks. I only fished once last year.
Railbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
A.J.
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbuggy View Post
The striped bass are what I mostly caught fishing from the banks of the Ohio River over the last 20 years. Getting old with COPD sucks. I only fished once last year.
I had to cut my fishing short too this year due to health problems - my wife's. She had a serious accident in September and is still recovering. I'll just have to make up for it THIS Fall.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
OneShot729
Breakout Champion

I use the same method my grandfather did when going for catfish. liver on a treble hook with lantern mantle tied around the outside.
OneShot729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #15
A.J.
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot729 View Post
I use the same method my grandfather did when going for catfish. liver on a treble hook with lantern mantle tied around the outside.
Great idea. I might use nylon or something similar. Whatever is cheapest or laying around unused.

I'm really geeking about getting back on the Grand River fishing for channel cats. Last Summer I "rescued" a guy and his family who was stranded about a mile up the river with a dead battery. Long story. In return for my generosity, he told me his "secret" spot in the river for catching big cats. He told me where an 18 foot hole is, where all the channel cats hang out.

Never got a change to check it out since my wife got hurt in September. This Summer I'm hoping to check it out to see if I can fill my freezer with some tasty channel cats. We'll see. I'll be sure to bring plenty of chicken livers.