Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
Angry White Trash
slug

Default Anyone own a wood pellet fueled grill?

I'm thinking about shit canning the gas grill I have for a wood pellot burning grill. I saw a demo at Home Depot on Memorial Day and I was impressed with their Traeger pellet grills.

What do you guys know about wood pellet grills? What's your experience and which models do you like?
Angry White Trash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Sanders

I'm a traditionalist and a bit of a cheapskate, so I don't own one.

But my cousin has one and he absolutely loves it. I think it's a Traeger, but I have no idea what model it is.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #3
Angry White Trash
slug

I never thought of spending more than $300 on a gas grill... but after watching one cheap flimsy grill rust away after the next I'm considering a more expensive high quality unit. I was going to just buy a Weber and call it a day... but then a Traeger rep showed me how great their pellet grill is and I was truly impressed. You plug it into a 110V outlet and every time you want to start the damn thing it starts right up... when you shut it down the pellets stop burning so they'll be ready for the next session. Even has a temp control and will double as a smoker.

What's not to love?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
slug

SIL has one...

He uses it all of the time
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry White Trash View Post
I never thought of spending more than $300 on a gas grill... but after watching one cheap flimsy grill rust away after the next I'm considering a more expensive high quality unit.
Old friend of mine lives in a small cabin in the East Texas woods. He cooks most meals outside to keep the inside of the cabin cool.

He has a grill graveyard. Most of them are cheap small grills, but he did have a couple custom build smokers (one made from a cast iron RR signal box) & grills.
Seems to me a pellet grill gets you buying pellets. Personally I'd be looking @ cost of pellets & what exactly they are made of.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Old friend of mine lives in a small cabin in the East Texas woods. He cooks most meals outside to keep the inside of the cabin cool.

He has a grill graveyard. Most of them are cheap small grills, but he did have a couple custom build smokers (one made from a cast iron RR signal box) & grills.
Seems to me a pellet grill gets you buying pellets. Personally I'd be looking @ cost of pellets & what exactly they are made of.
Two best food tasting grills in town here. The VFWs old huge smoker and my neighbors refrigerator he turned into a smoker.
Mullet are in and we will start smoking them now.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Two best food tasting grills in town here. The VFWs old huge smoker and my neighbors refrigerator he turned into a smoker.
Mullet are in and we will start smoking them now.
Best thing about old Ralph's place is there are plenty of decent woods to smoke with just his property. Hickory, pecan & oak are generally started with lump hardwood charcoal. Last steak I ate was up @ his place. Another buddy asked if I wasn't going to salon the steaks? I let the wood flavor the meat & I never heard any complaints.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
4thIDvet
slug

Just read a bit about Pres. Eisenhower raising his own cattle and cooking steaks. He tossed the raw steaks right in the fire 5 minutes a side. Got em nice and black wiped em off and finished em on the grill to desired doneness.
Nobody complained and they came back for more.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
ColonelKorn
High Priest of Honkydom

My neighbor has a pellet grill. His statement,"You can warm something up or burn it. Once you set the temp, it stays there. I love mine".
Old 06-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #10
Angry White Trash
slug

I bought a king daddy sized Traeger pellet grill. I'll post a pic when able
Old 06-10-2019, 02:06 AM   #11
Idahodoo

Have a traeger and use it all the time, really like it. Pellets get expansive. Bought the blanket for it, use it in winter, takes a little longer but even at 10 degrees cooks good.
Idahodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:02 AM   #12
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry White Trash View Post
I bought a king daddy sized Traeger pellet grill. I'll post a pic when able
Good for you AWT they must be good as their selling them as fast as they can stamp them out.
"King Daddy" hell yeah the name says it all. None of that junior stuff when in doubt go with the King.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:49 AM   #13
dinkydow

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post

Sawdust and a carcinogenic glue made from cowplops.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #14
slug

So...when is supper?...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
Sawdust and a carcinogenic glue made from cowplops.
Or made out of treated wood....watch for that.