Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Foxhole Area > Members Photographs
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Members Photographs This area is for photographs taken by forum members and their families and friends.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Default Cheap vice for sharpening chainsaw chains

I picked up a cheap clamp on Harbor Freight woodworking vice on sale for $16.95. It wouldn't be very good for woodworking. But it works out great for sharpening chainsaw chains.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
flashy
Omicron cocksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I picked up a cheap clamp on Harbor Freight woodworking vice on sale for $16.95. It wouldn't be very good for woodworking. But it works out great for sharpening chainsaw chains.

Just on the chainsaw bar works the best in my opinion, ain’t gonna slip off there either, I just put the kick back brake on so the chain stays still.

When I really screw up a chain, though I bring it to the chainsaw/arborist supply for a heavy grinding. I ususlly got 3 of each chain for my saws and different size bars. The raker teeth don’t need to filed unless you really gouged the tip over or off, but I use pro chisel chains only and not round tooth cutter ones they sharpen a lot quicker. That chain is what I call a safety chain with the rounded cutter.
flashy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #3
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

If I'm working with my saw and it needs a quick sharpening I use a stump vise to hold the bar while sharpen the chain on the bar.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
flashy
Omicron cocksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
If I'm working with my saw and it needs a quick sharpening I use a stump vise to hold the bar while sharpen the chain on the bar.
Get yourself some pro chisel chains, shit cuts a lot quicker. I usually buy Windsor brand pro chains. They are the ones that have a square cutter tooth and only one raker between the teeth, only thing is for the unexperienced they want to grab harder and are more likely to cause kickback, especially when cutting with the bar tip.
Stihl brand smaller homeowner shops only seem to stock those safety chains though, I’ve needed chains in a pinch before and when they try to sell me those safety chains I throw em back at them, some won’t sell them since they are scared people will hurt themselves or really don’t deal with any arborists or landscaper customers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMw52i1GSEA
flashy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Get yourself some pro chisel chains, shit cuts a lot quicker. I usually buy Windsor brand pro chains. They are the ones that have a square cutter tooth and only one raker between the teeth, only thing is for the unexperienced they want to grab harder and are more likely to cause kickback, especially when cutting with the bar tip.
Stihl brand smaller homeowner shops only seem to stock those safety chains though, I’ve needed chains in a pinch before and when they try to sell me those safety chains I throw em back at them, some won’t sell them since they are scared people will hurt themselves or really don’t deal with any arborists or landscaper customers.

I'm aware of the difference between safety chain and non-safety chain. That is the chain that came on my saw. I use it for the very bottom cut. I also used it up in Michigan while vacationing this year. I would drop a tree and then drag it back to camp down the sand trails and then cut it up for firewood. I didn't want to use my good chains for that purpose.

I have several other chains that are not the safety type.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post

Vermont chisel chains were about all the loggers their would use. They cut like a raped ape and non pros also used them. Years back in S. Fla. I went with a buddy to get a chisel chain for his saw and the frigging guy was not going to let us buy it said it was to dangerous.
Bud went to his truck grabbed an old chisel chain and the guy finally said o.k. WTF over?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:41 AM   #7
ColonelKorn
High Priest of Honkydom

Oregon chipper chains work well, and I have a next door neighbor with a chain grinder if I hit a rock and can't file.
We learn how to run chainsaws at birth in the South, from all appearances. I'd probably tear my crewcut out one hair at a time if I had to get around the Granola Lickers who think that chainsaws are symbols of hatred for Earth Mother.