Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > C&R Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

C&R Forum Curio and Relic discussion area

Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #16
Bluntforce
slug

Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
Do I take it that you gentlemen consider 'all' sporterizing to be bad?
cerberus
No, not all. Badly done or done to limited run pieces though, yes.

Two caveats: the god-awful Spanish dog turd ugly short rifle/carbine 1893 with straight stock, ugly, heavy chunk of steel put into the stock for the back swivel right where the cheek should rest, hideous front end, crappy sights and ugly bolt handle, every last one of them should be tossed in a furnace or extensively redone. Their only redeeming quality is their 7mm chambering and most of them were robbed of that for NATO standardization.

Second thing, Mausers (with previous exception) are exquisite in finish and function even with some rather questionable national tastes in stock design and hardware placement but the military ones' sights suck without exception. Inverted Vs and V notches to hit a horse made the marksmanship these rifles were capable of much harder to achieve than ever should have been. The Lange sights on the Gew. 98 are unsightly to view and a crime to impose on men forced to fire at moving man sized targets. Beautiful rifles ruined by unworthy sights. Change the phuque out of them*! Mausers are like Prom Queens with meth head teeth.

*The sights.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #17
RetVet
Statistical Error

I have all the front end hardware en route compliments of Springfield Sporters. The middle barrel band will take some creative modifications to get closer to an original, but at this stage I'm not real picky.

The stock I have is coming off an Ishapore Mk3, but is walnut and should match the butt stock pretty well.

For the upper handguard I have a walnut rear handguard from a No4 Mk1 Enfield that's going to get grafted to the front handguard off a No.1 MkIII. I've seen this done before on other Mk V rebuilds with good effect. I don't have a front handguard yet though. Still working on finding one. No.1 MkIII stock wood is not as common as it used to be. Unlike No.4 Mk1/2 furniture which is still pretty common with new sets easy to come by at a reasonable price.

I toyed with the idea of picking up a complete No.1 MkIII rifle to scavenge parts off of, but those things are pricing like gold these days.

The rear sight slide will just have to wait. I have very low prospects of ever fixing that piece or finding a replacement.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #18
Bluntforce
slug

Spinz

You could ask Othias on the C&Rsenal channel on YouTube if he has any leads on those parts. He just did an evolution of the SMLE vid. Ian on Forgotten Weapons just did a rare Enfield video also. They may help you. You could PM them or take your chances in the comment section.

They would probably help just for getting to see your pics.
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote