Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
Bluntforce
slug

Question Buffer weight for AR carbine

I am going to get a captive buffer for my AR. It’s a 16” barrel with a carbine length gas system. I am having trouble finding a definitive answer on whether the weight should be 3.3 oz or 3.8 oz.

Which one would you AR guys choose? They are identical in every way except the .5 ounces, cost the same and you are stuck with the weight you buy.

It’s Armaspec stealth recoil spring in case you are wondering. My main purpose is to remove the buffer spring retention detent and spring so that a chunk of the detent does not end up in the fcg at a future time. Also I don’t like the sproing sound for what that is worth. Captive buffer springs are also a thing for those running cans, I have no intention to run one unless they are removed from the NSA list. My attitude has already been noted.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
Sanders

Never seen anyone break a buffer detent. Seen a lot of folks shooting M16s on full auto, too.

Sometimes I sure have to wonder about some of the gadgets that come out on the market. But, if that's what floats your boat?

I think 4th ID is pretty knowledgeable as to buffer weights and what works best, though.

How's that for a non-answer?

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Bluntforce
slug

Talking

It’ll do.
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
Bluntforce
slug

Spinz

Actually I think with a KE Arms SLT-1 trigger I intend to get a sheared detent wouldn’t FUBAR it anyway.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
Sanders

I think if your detent sheared off, then you have bigger problems, anyway - like a buffer tube coming unscrewed. Most folks who build their own don't bother to stake the castle nut, and after a while it can loosen and allow the buffer tube to back out - probably long after they've already forgotten that it could if it isn't staked.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
Bluntforce
slug

It would go in my ugly as homemade sin GWACS lower. Here’s a trio of the fugly uckers. They are made by Brownell’s now. Mine is FDE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_82u9LSlcWkThe
Old 04-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
baboon
slug

Where is it ejecting spent cases?
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #8
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
It would go in my ugly as homemade sin GWACS lower. Here’s a trio of the fugly uckers. They are made by Brownell’s now. Mine is FDE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_82u9LSlcWkThe
I wondered if anyone was going to pick those up after Cav Arms went under. Rew had a CavArms with a pencil barrel. He was trying to see how light he could get it.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Never seen anyone break a buffer detent. Seen a lot of folks shooting M16s on full auto, too.

Sometimes I sure have to wonder about some of the gadgets that come out on the market. But, if that's what floats your boat?

I think 4th ID is pretty knowledgeable as to buffer weights and what works best, though.

How's that for a non-answer?
Oh my God you put the pressure on thanks a lot brother.
Their are tons of YouTube vids. on buffer springs and what works best for a particular weapon. Now do NOT waste money on buy this brand X buffer at this or that weight. No. $$ Make your own.

EABCO Tungsten Buffer Weights fit AR15, 3-Pack

https://www.eabco.net/EABCO-Tungsten...k_p_16097.html

Their is some their are better prices. Google it. Take a heavy spring light spring heavy buffer light buffer etc. to the range and experiment with your particular weapon. Take your time one WILL work.
Pain in the ass but like tuning a car you can do it.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
4thIDvet
slug

A standard store bought AR? Hell leave it alone it almost always comes with all yah need. Its when yah start doing the pistol or carbine builds with this or that wig a majia that you have to mess with the recoil springs.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
Bluntforce
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Where is it ejecting spent cases?
It’s perfect, I just have to get a gucci part or so I think.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:39 AM   #12
Bluntforce
slug

Bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I wondered if anyone was going to pick those up after Cav Arms went under. Rew had a CavArms with a pencil barrel. He was trying to see how light he could get it.
Karl and Ian (InRangeTV) did that three years ago, then GWACS sold out of stock and wore out their machinery. Tragic for me because I’m about and hour and a half from Tulsa and they were in Jenks, like Robar going belly up for you. Brownell’s offers a stripped lower, a populated lower, a lower with the boutique parts and a complete rifle.

This guy made his own version. The Armaspec is lighter than the JP. I have two of the five gucci lower parts. Going with KE Arms trigger and safety and Teal Blue Bravo’s PDQ holt release. Going to cheap out and get knock off mag release because stock design puts my index finger too far back from mag release. Tried Odin mag release extension but contour of lower does not allow its use for me. Figure I can drop mag with left hand while holding new mag in it. Standard lowers I can reach the mag release on.

I bought the GWACS lower because it’s close to indestructible, won’t rust, won’t heat up in the sun (unless it’s black) and it eliminates a lot of small parts. Also when I had functioning shoulders I thought it would make a decent club especially with the brutal aluminum murder/death/kill treaded butplate. The only downside is the distance from back of the pistol grip to the mag release. The buffer assembly is least important to modify in the lower.

Not presently modifying/building an upper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbadL_jewsE&t=3s
Old 05-01-2020, 04:56 AM   #13
Travish

I don’t think it’s possible to shear the pin unless the bolt and bolt carrier are to short and I’ve never heard of that happening. If you have the bolt and carrier locked into battery and you watch and feel while you slowly close the receivers you will notice that the carrier actually slightly presses on the buffer right when it closes. I don’t think the buffer puts any pressure on the pin unless the receivers are open.

I just weighed my M4 carbine buffer with retracting stock. It’s only 2.66 ounces?
Travish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #14
Bluntforce
slug

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travish View Post
I don’t think it’s possible to shear the pin unless the bolt and bolt carrier are to short and I’ve never heard of that happening. If you have the bolt and carrier locked into battery and you watch and feel while you slowly close the receivers you will notice that the carrier actually slightly presses on the buffer right when it closes. I don’t think the buffer puts any pressure on the pin unless the receivers are open.

I just weighed my M4 carbine buffer with retracting stock. It’s only 2.66 ounces?
Thanks.

That Karl turd and one or two other YouTube ninjas insist it happens. I would rather leave it in with the captive buffer spring to keep it in there. This hollow GWACS lower amplifies the sproing sound, it reminds me of the stories of the first hollow stocks on the M16 making a bonging sound when struck on a tree trunk in Vietnam. They were filled with styrofoam afterwards. That is either from TimeLife’s Vietnam experience or Jane’s Infantry Manual 1978. I am pretty sure it was TimeLife that bit came from.

The internerd guru Komrade Kasarda showed a photo of the beefed up buffer detent on the H&K 416 as proof of his contention. Sinistral Rifleman Russell Feigan, the guy behind the Cav Arms nylon lower in the first place, has also said he’s seen it. One other YT ahole said it too but I don’t remember who it is right now so I’m obviously FOS and my parents weren’t married.

Last edited by Bluntforce; 05-01-2020 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Found out Sinistral Rifleman’s first name and I’m always editing my posts.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #15
remus

I've got7 or 8 uppers and 5 lowers I've put together with all kinds of parts and they have all worked over the years. Real mis mash guns. I don't plan going to war with them so they don't have to be mil spec, whatever that means. They do everything I expect them to do and I've had very few problems with any of them. Mags are a little different on occasion.
remus is online now   Reply With Quote