Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.



Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Shotguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 03:24 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug
 
4thIDvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Astor Florida
Posts: 31,984
Question When in Polar bear country I guess the .12 gauge shotgun is the gun of choice?

The Largest Land Carnivores in the World: The Polar Bear and Kodiak Bear.

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/04/15-...-in-the-world/

O.K. so I am watching the Netflix series "Polar Bear Town" a show about them in Alaska. Police, game wardens, locals, scientists, tour guides almost all to a man was carrying a .12 gauge shotgun for protection?
So I guess if one is attacking you you shoot them in the face? What would you carry if in their A.O.?

ADD: Everyone in the small town leaves their cars and trucks unlocked. This so people can jump in if getting chased by a polar bear. Holy sheet.
__________________
God Bless Americas Veterans. All who are serving and have served.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
aviator
unum de multis
 
aviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bunker's Headquarters.
Posts: 36,961
Default

a 20mm? those guys are vicious when hungry.
__________________

Je suis deplorable
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
44044
slug
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: swampeastmissouri
Posts: 36,740
Default

I would want someone to be with me

that I could outrun...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Sanders
Moderator
 
Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 51,605
Default

In some of the mountain towns around here, I've seen the cops use 12 gauge bean bags to chase bears out of town without killing them. The black bears run like hell when hit with one of those.

Polar bears? I don't know. They are some big ass bears! Maybe they are scared of the noise?
__________________
Μολών Λαβέ!! WWHBD

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
3
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Bluntforce
Illiteratti
 
Bluntforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BFE
Posts: 12,041
Default

The Danish Slaedepatruljen Sirius on Greenland uses M 1917 Rifles in .30-06 and Glock 20 10mm for polar bears.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Dog_Sled_Patrol
__________________
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Driswalds
Member
Starcastle Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
The Danish Slaedepatruljen Sirius on Greenland uses M 1917 Rifles in .30-06 and Glock 20 10mm for polar bears.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Dog_Sled_Patrol
IMHO they are under armed for polar bear.
A 454 is a bit small. a 460 or 500 in handgun.
A 300 winchester mag is also a bit small.
Driswalds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Bluntforce
Illiteratti
 
Bluntforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BFE
Posts: 12,041
Default

Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
Silver Bullet
Member
 
Silver Bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Penn's Woods!
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
....... O.K. so I am watching the Netflix series "Polar Bear Town" a show about them in Alaska. Police, game wardens, locals, scientists, tour guides almost all to a man was carrying a .12 gauge shotgun for protection?
So I guess if one is attacking you you shoot them in the face? What would you carry if in their A.O.?
Well, ....... I know Peter Hathaway Capstick (A man who would have known!) only used a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with double 00 buckshot in order to track wounded 500 lb lions through heavy brush in order to finish them off. Capstick said that these engagements always happened very fast, and took place at very close range. (15 feet, and often less!)

Capstick wrote that the only gun he trusted to hit hard enough to stop an enraged cat under those incredibly difficult circumstances was the 12 gauge; HOWEVER, there is a proviso: The animal has to be fired upon at very close range (often less than 6 - 12 feet) with the still tightly compacted FULL 12 gauge charge of double 00 buckshot. Anything less would NOT guarantee an 'on the spot' stop and kill.

Peter (Who I, coincidentally, knew and used to see around town just about every weekend when I was a young teenager.) never allowed a client who made a bad shot on a lion to attempt to follow the animal into the brush in order to finish it off; he always told the client to stay put and wait while he took out his 12 gauge, and very slowly moved through the brush waiting for the wounded cat to launch what he hoped would be its final surprise attack.

I've also watched several national park rangers trap and release large bears. They, also, carried 12 gauge shotguns that I was told would, if necessary, have been used in exactly the same way that Peter Capstick did. All this being said I honestly believe that most people seen carrying 12 gauge shotguns in bear territory are being expedient.

In my opinion very few people have the 'nerves of steel' and 'coldness of mind' needed in order to face down a charging bear and effectively put it down at the kind of very short range needed in order to make the shot charge hit with a full (practically instantaneous) effect. Personally, I think the smallest long arm I would want to attempt stopping a large incoming bear with would be a (heavy) 45-70 Gov't, or Marlin 450 carbine.
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
Sanders
Moderator
 
Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 51,605
Default

I do know that when I was planning a (now delayed indefinitely) trip up the Alaska highway, I was going to take a 12 gauge shotgun because it was easier to get one into Canada than a .44 Magnum pistol. But since the show takes place in Alaska, and not Canada, that may not be a factor.

A 12 gauge with buckshot is formidable, and so is a 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs - a .70 caliber projectile capable of deep penetration.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
500grains
Soldier of Allah
 
500grains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Crackerland
Posts: 24,304
Default

Capstick's tales were mostly fabricated. A 12 gauge with buckshot is HIGHLY DISFAVORED for lion medicine and is in fact illegal in all countries where lions are hunted. Legal rounds are .375 H&H rifle and up. Shotguns lack the velocity to deliver either shock or good penetration (same problem with handguns). Shotguns with pellets of any size face the problem that each pellet is relatively light so penetration is poor unless shot at point blank range where the pellets arrive as a solid blob. And then the disadvantage is that the projectile blob is delivered at 1000 less than rifles can offer.

Feline nervous systems tend to be incapacitated by shock of a bullet that hits them at 2400 fps or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
Well, ....... I know Peter Hathaway Capstick (A man who would have known!) only used a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with double 00 buckshot in order to track wounded 500 lb lions through heavy brush in order to finish them off. Capstick said that these engagements always happened very fast, and took place at very close range. (15 feet, and often less!)

Capstick wrote that the only gun he trusted to hit hard enough to stop an enraged cat under those incredibly difficult circumstances was the 12 gauge; HOWEVER, there is a proviso: The animal has to be fired upon at very close range (often less than 6 - 12 feet) with the still tightly compacted FULL 12 gauge charge of double 00 buckshot. Anything less would NOT guarantee an 'on the spot' stop and kill.

Peter (Who I, coincidentally, knew and used to see around town just about every weekend when I was a young teenager.) never allowed a client who made a bad shot on a lion to attempt to follow the animal into the brush in order to finish it off; he always told the client to stay put and wait while he took out his 12 gauge, and very slowly moved through the brush waiting for the wounded cat to launch what he hoped would be its final surprise attack.

I've also watched several national park rangers trap and release large bears. They, also, carried 12 gauge shotguns that I was told would, if necessary, have been used in exactly the same way that Peter Capstick did. All this being said I honestly believe that most people seen carrying 12 gauge shotguns in bear territory are being expedient.

In my opinion very few people have the 'nerves of steel' and 'coldness of mind' needed in order to face down a charging bear and effectively put it down at the kind of very short range needed in order to make the shot charge hit with a full (practically instantaneous) effect. Personally, I think the smallest long arm I would want to attempt stopping a large incoming bear with would be a (heavy) 45-70 Gov't, or Marlin 450 carbine.
__________________
Racism will keep you alive.
500grains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #11
RaySendero
Member
 
RaySendero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: US South
Posts: 175
Default

I prefer a 458WM:

__________________
Ray
RaySendero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #12
Carne Frio
Senior Member
 
Carne Frio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Near Fairbanks
Posts: 1,256
Default

A 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs is pretty much normal
around here and you can even buy them at the grocery
stores. They work good on people, too.
__________________
I'm thinking that we are going to need a lot more rope before this is over.
Carne Frio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
4thIDvet
slug
 
4thIDvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Astor Florida
Posts: 31,984
Default

Kind of seems a good way to have your family shotgun turn into a howitzer is the slugs? Bird hunting in the morning tank stopper in the evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFxaJ0m6yI0

Holy sheet.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Bluntforce
Illiteratti
 
Bluntforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BFE
Posts: 12,041
Default

I've used Brenneke slugs in a ballistic chainsaw application before. I was not disappointed.
Bluntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
4thIDvet
slug
 
4thIDvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Astor Florida
Posts: 31,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
I've used Brenneke slugs in a ballistic chainsaw application before. I was not disappointed.
Yeah geez I never heard of them before Bluntforce but holy mother of God yah get hit or hit something with one of those they are gonna frigging remember yah.
Like a civil war Minnie ball times 1000 I guess? Damn.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.