Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #1
aviator
unum de multis

Default Smoked fish Spread.

My wife buys a smoked fish spread from Publix, damn thing is expensive, today I read what it has, "smoked white fish and mayo", well heck I have fish and I have mayo. I have a fillet smoking on the grill, will take a couple hours at 150º I don't want to dry it out. I'll let you know later. Got the wood pellets right under it so it will get smokey all right.

I bought a "smoking Tube" that you fill with pellets and light up with a plumber's torch, and just hang it on the grill, it has worked very well for other stuff, we'll see.

That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
baboon
slug

Lots of variant on a smoked fish spread sour cream, cream cheese in combination with mayo, worstershiresauce, tabasco & herbs. Take a look at kosher recipes too! As a kid my dad would go in with other guys @ work & one would go to Wisconsin IIRC & buy a huge crate of smoked whitefish. Grocery store delis even sold whole smoked whitefish
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
4thIDvet
slug

Fred yah every tried smelt fish? Oh my God I could eat em all day. They used to do smoked Marlin but stopped guess cause they were being depleted?
Old Dave here RIP did smoked mullet and God it was good.
St. Johns river mullet tastes like old tires cooked on yer stove. But smoked not bad at all. Gulf mullet is like filet of sole clean and good. Got to run but will return to this post as I love smoked fish dip.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
aviator
unum de multis

Smoke flavor came out too strong, but it's edible. Actually I used an old tilapia fillet that was sitting in the freezer and then ran it through the food processor with mayo, salt and pepper.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Smoke flavor came out too strong, but it's edible. Actually I used an old tilapia fillet that was sitting in the freezer and then ran it through the food processor with mayo, salt and pepper.
Probably unbleached tilapia from china if it was overpowering.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
What flavor of smoke? Alder gives about the best flavor for smoked fish that I've found. Maybe that's just what I'm used to, having mostly eaten smoked salmon on the West coast.

The kid got me one of those maze smokers that uses sawdust. I wanted the tube pellet smoker. The sawdust doesn't stay lit more than 8 hours.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #7
JD Miller
slug

Alaska Herring fillets with Sriracha sauce

JD Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Probably unbleached tilapia from china if it was overpowering.
No, not the china crap, this is from Costa Rica, it's got a totally different flavor. I've had the Chinese one, can't eat it.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
What flavor of smoke? Alder gives about the best flavor for smoked fish that I've found. Maybe that's just what I'm used to, having mostly eaten smoked salmon on the West coast.

The kid got me one of those maze smokers that uses sawdust. I wanted the tube pellet smoker. The sawdust doesn't stay lit more than 8 hours.
I got a bag of pellets which has a blend of wood in it, it worked well on ribs, I think I did it wrong, I put some cooking oil spray on the fish so the smoke would stick to it and it was too much. I'll try again some day.

This is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Elect...74358780&psc=1

and the bag at the bottom.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
aviator
unum de multis

Sanders, I had some really good fresh smoked salmon while in Alaska, they used electric smokers, let me see if I can find a picture.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #11
Sanders

I'm a smoked salmon fanatic.

Love smoked salmon. Smoked salmon chowder. Lox on bagels. You name it, if it has smoked salmon, I'm in for it.

I do believe there is a curing process before smoking fish, though. Could be what you were missing?
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #12
baboon
slug

Fattier fish take smoke much better. Tilapia tends to be processed fresh & frozen and has lttle or no fat on it. Hell I remember some smoked carp that was the only way I ever ate carp.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:50 PM   #13
4thIDvet
slug

Salmon from the ice cold waters of Norway was 2nd to none like the best in the world. Demand outstripped supply and they started farming the fish in cages in the fiords. Whoops.
That was it for their salmon now article after article is saying do NOT eat it it is loaded with toxins.
Now Alaska salmon which was great to start with seems to rule the roost.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:59 AM   #14
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Salmon from the ice cold waters of Norway was 2nd to none like the best in the world. Demand outstripped supply and they started farming the fish in cages in the fiords. Whoops.
That was it for their salmon now article after article is saying do NOT eat it it is loaded with toxins.
Now Alaska salmon which was great to start with seems to rule the roost.
And I saw it happen while I was working. If you'r going to eat salmon wild Alaskan is the only choice. Lots of the farm raised salmon is used for smoked & lox so read the packaging.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:14 AM   #15
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
And I saw it happen while I was working. If you'r going to eat salmon wild Alaskan is the only choice. Lots of the farm raised salmon is used for smoked & lox so read the packaging.
Huge caged in areas in the cold water fiords to raise the salmon for eventual sale. Sound good? Not so fast. The waste excrement from the salmon was setting to the bottoms of the caged areas. Like literally 6 feet deep in spots.
Bacteria became rampant so now to fix that they dumped chemicals on the waste to kill the bacteria. Killed the bacteria and loaded the salmon with toxins.
So much for the best salmon in the world eat it at your own peril. Hit You Tube and watch divers show you the disgusting chemical mess.

Farmed Norwegian Salmon World’s Most Toxic Food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYf8cLUV5E
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote