Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Camping, Backpacking, Outdoor Survival Skills
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Default 4thIDVet - I got my Mora knife

I'm going to rub some oil in the wood handle. But here it is.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
4thIDvet
slug

Well hell I tell yah what Pogo they are a sleeper as far as knives go. Wait till yah see what an edge they can hold and I aint a kidden.
My Henkils cost like three times as much and I will go with the Moras.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Nice, sheath and all!
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Default O.K. I got a whetstone to sharpen the knives.

Amazon.com: King Japanese Grit 1000/6000 Combination Sharpening Stone KW-65 and King #8000 Nagura Stone : Bundle - 2 Items: Home Improvement Amazon.com: King Japanese Grit 1000/6000 Combination Sharpening Stone KW-65 and King #8000 Nagura Stone : Bundle - 2 Items: Home Improvement

I bought a cheaper $7 stone from Ace but it is probably just good for axes or outdoor bigger tools. It sharpens but gives a rough finish to the blade.
Watched a video of a Japanese sushi chef sharpening his knife and bought one.
boon is probably correct in that a steel does the job but this whetstone looks like it will get it razor sharp.
I will post a video of the sharpening process in the video section.

ADD: Comes with a nukera stone to build up a sludge? I guess the sludge makes a mush to help the sharpening process??
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Once a blade is sharp you don't need to do too much to keep it that way. Sometimes a steel or strop is all you will need.

If you need to do a little sharpening an ultra fine black Arkansas stone will rejuvenate it with just a couple of strokes. Then use a steel or strop to finish the job.

If you grind away with a fast cutting stone you are wasting too much of the blade.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Course stones and diamond stones are for fast cutting on machetes, butcher knives, cleavers, axes, and lawn mower blades.

You don't want to use them on a fine pocket knife or sheath knife. Also you should never use your pocket or sheath knife for things like stripping wire, scraping or chopping. There are other tools for that purpose.

Take off a minimal amount of metal when sharpening a knife. Often it just needs the edge straightened when you think it is dull.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
4thIDvet
slug

Pogo did you watch the video of how the Japs sharpen a blade? They use a back and forth method as versus the western style of one direction.
Think I will go with the Jap method those guys do that kung fooie chop you up with their sharp knife stuff.

ADD: Amazon had only one left in stock so I grabbed it. Now the liers have 14. Dirty lying rats.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Pogo did you watch the video of how the Japs sharpen a blade? They use a back and forth method as versus the western style of one direction.
Think I will go with the Jap method those guys do that kung fooie chop you up with their sharp knife stuff.

ADD: Amazon had only one left in stock so I grabbed it. Now the liers have 14. Dirty lying rats.
Yes I watched it. Actually I sharpen mine at an angle about half way between the two methods. I slide mine down the stone at about a 45 degree angle. I think I might have copied the way my dad did it.