View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Howdy Mr. sturniolo3609!

Welcome aboard!

Well, can't add anything you probably don't already know, but it's a good question, so I'll try to answer in a vein that any of the newer guys will be able to follow, (I hope)

Truth is (but don't tell anybody) a sp of any shape is extremly unlikely to ignite a primer in a cartridge ahead of it in a tubular magazine. That said, it CAN and HAS happened, common sense says to not risk it.

The LeveRevolution tip is clearly too soft to do it, a psp tip is very unlikely to do it and a fmj spire point is probably asking for trouble. If it can be done, that'l be the way. Many years ago the folks trying to prove how dangerous it was (to promote the Remington "twisted" magazine) were pretty unsuccessful in making it happen.

'Thutty-Thutty' is NOT the slouch some 'experts' like to claim, in fact there have been some very impressive Bench Rest scores over the years, using custom rifles of course.

But there is a way to use your A-Max bullets, get the advantages if the more efficent bullet design, better downrange velocity, better trajectory, etc.

Started doing it about '64 myself when I starrted huntin at ranges longer than the 100 foot avg for WI..

Make your '94 or 336 a 'two shot', a sharp nose cartridge chambered and ONE more in the Magazine!

Presto!

Instead of a 200 yd gun you've now got a 250-275 yard gun, sight in is still about 2" high at 100 to get into the PB range, even with a small deer you've got an 8 inch circle to deal with so 3" up to 3 " down is your easy Point blank range.

Even a 150 gr. flat point sighted 2.5 high at 100 is only 3" or so low at 200.

Pointed bullets make it better.

ONE thing to WATCH OUT for ...

Bullets are designed and manufactured to specific performance at specific velocities.

So, using a bullet designed for 30-06 velocities at 300 yards may well fail to expand as designed (or at all) at 30-30 velocities and even 50 yards, (.308 in and .308 out) and of course 30-30 bullets designed to function at 100 yards in a 30-30 may (will) expand explosively at 50 yards in a 30-06 giving new meaning to the phrase "complete expansion'.

Placement with adequate penetration still rules, though I have met some very successful hunters who load 30-30 FP's at slightly reduced velocities in their '06's and like the resulte on whitetail at shorter ranges.

Hope my comments are of some assistance to any readers, sure we'll have some more comments and insights before long!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote