View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #24
buzgun
slug

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Cap is a 24x24 piece of pa flagstone and I used old philly cobble stones on the risers to levitate it. The secrete to sticking them on quick is I use a special bagged mortar that is reinforced with Kevlar and polymers, called laticrete mvis. It allows you to slap the lickems up real quick no holding or waiting to set, just notch trowel it on and smear a little bit on the back of each one to help bond.

I did attach them and point the stones with nephew to help, we did point and tool it in one day, but I got a mixer I traded for so that really speeds things up. Actually laid 2 rows of block at cabin for foundation a month ago, and mixed it by hand full wheel barrow at a time and that kicks your ass before you really get doing any work. I always use type S mortar for pointing and like when I did that it was cold so a tented the fireplace and heat it with readdy/forced air heater so I can tool it pretty quickly.
flashy, i used 50 pound bags of fire mortar to assemble the kit and install the firebrick inside the box......i went with full sized firebrick for the bottom of the firebox and used splits for the sides and back which i ripped in half on my tile saw to make them thinner for the herringbone pattern ....i believe masons call these "soaps".....i bought all the materials from a place called Marvels masonry supply......that fire mortar has a high level of lime in it because it really fucked up the skin on my hands.....my fingertips have no skin left on them and are split open and bleeding.

I have to get some cantera stone molding that im going to wrap around the top like crown moulding on cabinets and install the spark arrestor which the city demands you install out here because im in the desert......but first im going to do all that grouting starting tomorrow AM.