View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

Too bad you're about 2.5 hrs away from me. I have 400yds to shoot right here in my yard. After you master that, we can go over to Myakka City (http://manateegunclub.com/). They have 1000yds to work on.

And, it's not as difficult as some say. Once you get the hang of using your scope and how your caliber / bullet acts, the rest isn't too hard.
Reading wind is the only part (for me) that can be a pain in the ass. I've used wind flags, throwing grass in the air, looking at tree branches, chicken bones, crystal ball and just plain 'ol guessing.

I learned using MOA scopes. Some prefer Mils. I never could get the hang of mils after using MOA for so long. Also, I tend to hold rather than dialing in. It's just faster & easier for me.
You know how it is. Old habits dying hard and all that...

Last, I build my long range rifles on Savage actions with barrels made by a guy in Louisiana. He'll make them to my specs and he's very reasonable. Between long range rifles and reloading so I can "tune" the ammo to the barrel, it's becomes borderline OCD behavior.
There was a time I even tried to tune the ammo on a .243 so each shot would go thru the same hole at 100yds.
Gave up after about 2500 rounds. The useful life of the barrel had come & gone, too. Best I could get was .280" edge to edge.